What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of cash and noone to spend it on?

Jono078

Referee
Gene Krupa said:
Brent Kite would be a good buy!
I agree, he's been in some good form and would be cheapest out of the top forwards named there youd think.

I also wouldnt mind looking at Hodges..

1. Kurt Gidley
2. Aku Uate
3. Justin Hodges
4. Adam MacDougall
5. James McManus
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Josh Lewis or Luke Walsh
8. Brent Kite
9. Danny Buderus
10. Mitchell Sargent
11. Steve Simpson
12. Cory Paterson
13. Daniel Abraham
--
14. Kade Snowden
15. Daniel Tolar / Matt White / Josh Perry
16. Mark Taufua
17. Terrence Seu Seu

That'd be a nice 2007 team, question mark on the halves though.

Jono078

Referee
Even Travis Burns might go alright, and play Mullen at halfback.

Burns is one of the better 5/8ths going around these days, can defend and put in a nice kick. He also has quite a good goal kicking % it seems..

Burwood

Bench
Didn't the Raiders make headlines this year for signing a 12 year old? Maybe the Knights should get in early and sign Samuel Johns. Give him another year or two to work off the puppy fat in the gym, and couple of ball work sessions each day after preschool, and he'll be ready for 2009.

Yosh

Coach
Players I would look into:

Berrigan
Andrew Ryan
Brent Kite*
LOD*
Ian Hindmarsh*
Clinton
Ryles*
Hornby*
Wing

These are the players I would look into. The players with the exclamation mark next to them is the ones I would like to sign first. Most of them forwards. Hornby and Wing the only real halves opition I was looking into. Couldnt find a quality centre we can actually sign. Like honestly Hodges will not leave Brissie

K-Man

Bench
Honestly, I would just about tell Ben Hornby to write his own contract!
1. Kidley
6. Mullen
7. Hornby
That's good enough for a premiership imo. You would get value for every dollar spent on Hornby, he's barely ever injured, can steer the side aroud the park (perfect foil for the developing Mullen) and is just all class. Oh I'm salivating.....come on Ben, jump of the sinking Dragon's ship!

Other than that, not a lot of quality outside backs on that list are there? I don't think we will sign Hodges or Tate, and the rest aren't special apart from maybe Utai. Our dreams of a rep centre probably won't be fulfilled in 2008.

Travis Burns would be an excellent buy too if we couldn't get Hornby, and not enough Queenslanders at the Knights - Sam Thaiday will do just fine.

CJKnight

Juniors
I doubt the Dragons are going to let Hornby go tbh. After losing Barrett to ESL, I think they will spend whatever the've got to keep him. And I can't see Head and Williams being the Dragon's pairing.

Burns and Monaghan will both struggle to find regular starting positions at Manly. With Orford, Lyon, Ballin, and Dunley all viaing for positions, we could find ourselves signing one of those two.

Ben

Bench
I wouldn't mind picking up a half but with sensational junior halves coming through the grades, this may actually cause them to leave the club and play elsewhere with better chances of breaking first grade. Of course this is just hypothetical, but if we lose a player like Walsh or Dureau because we have signed either Hornby or Burns i would be spewing.

Yosh

Coach
Ben said:
I wouldn't mind picking up a half but with sensational junior halves coming through the grades, this may actually cause them to leave the club and play elsewhere with better chances of breaking first grade. Of course this is just hypothetical, but if we lose a player like Walsh or Dureau because we have signed either Hornby or Burns i would be spewing.

You seroius? Hornby is amazing and has his best years ahead of him. Burns is also quiet good and is still heaps young and probably develop into a great half within the next 3 years. I would sign Hornby without 2nd thought and Burns wouldnt be far from my mind either. Micheal Monaghan would be a good buy also. Sure we have talent coming though who maybe in the future will hypertheoically become awesome, but these players have proved their awesomeness already and probably have lots to offer the club in years to come. Also if we get one Monaghan maybe the other one might come as well, and he is a quiet a gun outside back.

Does anyone know when Amos Roberts comes off contract? Or Nathan Merrit?

K-Man

Bench
Ben said:

If we lost Walsh and signed Hornby I would be delighted. We can't assume that Walsh or Dureau will become even half the player in first grade that Hornby already is. The guy has played for Australia and is all class, not to mention young - we could have for a good 5 or 6 years.

the ref

Juniors
Sacrolishes said:
Dereau sh*tted over Soward last wkend..destroyed him..

I agree why would you waste money on Soward or Josh Lewis for that matter.............DUREAU played all over both of them on the weekend.

And as good a player as Walsh is he won't be playing 1st Grade at 70kg.

Get rid off Josh Perry, Kirk Reynoldson and George Carmont................they've all GOT NOTHING!:sarcasm:

Let's look at Luke O'Donnell :thumb

CJKnight

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Monaghan would be a pretty good signing I would think - is he off contract tho?

Yes, he was only signed for a one year extension last season... he almost went to the Cowboys apparently, but they signed Jason Smith instead.

voltron

Juniors
So how much do we have to spend?
I think we should buy a few players, instead of one major buy, because it'll be perceived that this is our 'Johns replacement' and that's just too much pressure.

Buys i would like to see
Backline: Hodges, Berrigan, Hazem (would be a great kicker for us too), Emelio, Travis Burns
Forwards: O'meley, Thaiday (can play with his uncle, lol), kite, LOD,

This is all working from the list on the other page.