What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lower Grade sides

roopy

Referee
Premier League;

Nathan Hinton
James McManus
Mark Hughes
Blake Tremain-Canon
Daniel Spiteri
Bradley Tighe
Chris Tyrie
Daniel Tolar (c)
Nathan Berry
Matthew White
Chris Nolan
Mark Jaques
Nathan McLoughlin
Interchange

Brendan Worth
Scott Perrin
Michael Gill
David Cox

Now that Flegg can't make the finals we have Hinton, McManus, Berry, Perrin and Cox up in Premier League. If you chucked in Mercer and Hartman you would have the cream of the Flegg side.
Gill is a chunky little utility forward who must be trialing for next season - he played two weeks ago as well. He played lock and hooker and went alright.

Flegg side;

Leigh Abel
Aaron Hartmann
Bradley Wallace
Ben Farrar
Shay Livermore
Jarrod Mullen
Ryan Dickson
Larry Taufua
John Monu
Joshua Houlison
Luke Grant
Kade Snowden
Luke Mercer
Interchange

Scott Briggs
Brendan Hlad
Michael Schultz
Matthew Watton

Abel at fullback will be interesting. He is a quality player, but I've never seen him at fullback.
A new combination in the halves of Dickson and Mullen. I'm sure they have tried every combination now.
Houlison deserves a start. He has improved heaps late in the season i reckon.
Watton is a big Aboriginal looking prop. He could do with some time in the gym, but he looks like he could be good (from what i saw two weeks ago.

antonius

Coach
Tyrie isn't signed, I was talking to his dad, and he was saying he might end up in the local comp? Still no Salkeld, gee I hope they haven't let him go. It will be interesting to see how Hinton goes in the Premier league, he is one guy we can get excited about I reckon.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Well that's got news. Tyrie hasn't lived up to my expectation I had a couple of years ago. Johns will be gone soon and we need a better half then tyrie to replace him.

antonius

Coach
Two years ago Tyrie was a world beater, since then he had an abysmal seaon last year with a very ordinary Premier league team, and just hasn't recovered from it.

roopy

Referee
We lost both games against sides that are lower than us on the table.
Mullen didn't play in Flegg - Briggs started at halfback and had a pretty good game - Abel started at 5/8 and looked good as usual - Russell from the Ball side started at fullback and mixed up some good attack with some simple errors that cost points. Hartman injured his arm early and Noel Tupou went on to play centre - and stuffed up badly 3 or 4 times. Watton looked even better this week, and we ran out another big prop in no21 - whose name I didn't get, but he set up a good try and looked like he could be good. Snowden didn't have his best ever game, but he played the whole game and backed up to play the whole second half of Premier League - where he looked right at home.

The bright spots in Premier League were the form of Michael Gill (his third game with the Knights I think). He played 5/8 and hooker and was just about the hardest worker in the side. It was also the first time Kade Snowden has played seniors - and like I said - he handled it just fine. Buddy Jaques scored a try in what could be his last game for us, and Tyrie had one of his better games - oh yeah, and big Matty White is improving with every outing. Hinton did a good job - Berry got knocked out (a medal is on its way to the Tiges guy), but did alright when he was on the field - and the other Flegg guys got more into the game as it went on.

deedles

Juniors
aaron hartmann dislocated his shoulder, i didnt get to see flegg and most of reserves cause friends weren't ready to go then, plus we were doing tours around our college for uni open day until bout 3:15. but yeah i was talking to aaron after the game and they gave him a needle but he wished they hadnt cause he was falling asleep cause of it. he said that he just fell on it wrong but at least it was in the last game of the season and not the first. its so weird when you guys start talking about the players that i know or that friends know.

Swampy

Juniors
Well Roopy the Flegg result doesn't surprise me.From what I've heard they were making phone calls late in the week trying to get enough players to make up a side. Lloyd Russell the poor bugger is a winger or centre and has been suffering from compartment syndrome in his calfs and hasn't been able to run properly for last couple of months. I'm surprised he played at all.A few of the boys were well and truly thrown in at the deep end out there today.I think quite a few of the boys are pleased the season is over especially the Ball players that have been called up.
There has definately been a problem with them fitting into the Flegg side with a few of them feeling they have been used.

Misanthrope

Staff member
In both games we let them take big leads and then fought our way back into it. Premier League was especially disappointing, with us getting back to 36-28 and then playing stupid football in the final four minutes.

Snowden's hit on some no name Saints' forward was amazing. The b*stard didn't get back up, that's for sure. Briggs was impressive as well, when he wasn't picking fights. Shay Livermore impressed me with his speed (his second try was bloody brilliant, from a scrum win kick).

macavity

Referee
Swampy said:
There has definately been a problem with them fitting into the Flegg side with a few of them feeling they have been used.

What is that supposed to mean??? You would think they would love a run?

General Knight

Juniors
Snowden sounds like a monster, I keep hearing the same thing over and over again - 'he smashed some guy'. How old is he? and how big is he in terms of size and weight? - Im just curious.

Misanthrope

Staff member
He wasn't the biggest player on the field by a long shot (Saints had a monster pack), but he has a way of hitting with his shoulder that just levels people. Was definitely impressive to finally see him up close. He may be a year or so off first grade, but I'd say he'll get called up next year. Passionate guy, from what I saw.

roopy

Referee
chriswalkerbush said:
He wasn't the biggest player on the field by a long shot (Saints had a monster pack), but he has a way of hitting with his shoulder that just levels people. Was definitely impressive to finally see him up close. He may be a year or so off first grade, but I'd say he'll get called up next year. Passionate guy, from what I saw.
Chris - you didn't see him at his best unfortunately. He has played a lot better than yesterday - but I see you were impressed anyway.

antonius

Coach
I thought White was a standout, gee he takes the ball up hard and is a real no nonsense forward, definately has a future that bloke. Snowden has a great off-load, I didn't see him go down with the ball once in Flegg, I was trying to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks in the premier league when he came on, I wasn't sure it was him (Didn't know he he was allowed to play both grades) When I sw the first off-load I was coninced it was him, but my sister-in-law was like me and didn't think he was allowed to play. I thought Spiteri was great as well, he made two Robbie O type try saving tackles, and his second try really showed his speed and quick thinking, kicked ahead when he looked to be covered which turned the defender around and Spiteri had the speed to get there first. Hinton went well at fullback. I thought Briggs was good in Flegg, (two trys) He showed his hot headed side a couple of times, if they can get him to control himself he could really go places.

roopy

Referee
I saw Adam Muir in the parade of old boys before the main game - and it struck me that Kade Snowden could be his brother.
They have a similar build, they both love to offload, they are both mobile second rowers, they both tackle hard - I think Kade will be better though.

antonius

Coach
Adam Muir, Ah the memories, what a great ball playing forward he was, he and Matty Johns were also a leathal combo inside the oppo 10 metre line. Snowden will be in first grade next year, he's too good not to be.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I thought I saw Snowden on the field in Premier League. Since I was always raving about him, I had dickhead friends yelling out 'Dude, there's your boyfriend'. Didn't stop until another of my mates showed an unhealthy fascination with Chris Tyrie's resemblance to Kimmo. :p

Swampy

Juniors
Macavity yes they do love playing buts it's been difficult for them to fit into the side after the original Flegg boys have already played about 8 games into their comp and then the SG Ball players are called up to slot in.I would think some of the Flegg boys wouldn't be to happy about that especially the ones who got dropped to make way for them.
When they played Easts at home the Ball side had the bye so they called two of them into the Flegg side for the game.Not a problem in them playing ( in fact one of them got man of the match).Both of them come off the field injured at various stages during the second half.One had a shoulder injury and the other limped off.They needle the shoulder and the other limped back onto th field with about 10 mins to go when the game was gone.There are other similar incidents.How is that looking after your young players.
On the field especially the fowards for the most part the only time they got the ball was from dummy half.If they stood out wide they never got a look in.Even Kade Snowden was battling to get the ball wide.The second time they played Easts I'd he touched the about 3 or 4 times.They seem to use them as bash and barch merchants.Even the likes of Leigh Abel hardly got any ball and he is one talented player with the ball in his hands.There is a bit more I can add but these are examples.I know one thing the Ball boys were fitter and trained harder then Flegg.
To me Kade and Leigh should have played Flegg from the start of the season instead of playing Ball first.I'm of the view the boys they've brought up from Ball to Flegg this season and are young enough to back up for SG Ball next season
actually should start and play the whole season in Flegg.Whats the point in taking back to SG Ball when they have shown they can handle the step up and it would give them another season of experience at a higher level and you never know a couple of them could be knocking on the door of PL.Also it gives other boys the opportunity to gain experience in the Ball side and bring on further development.

Big Tim

First Grade
antonius said:
Two years ago Tyrie was a world beater, since then he had an abysmal seaon last year with a very ordinary Premier league team, and just hasn't recovered from it.

Tyrie was hit with the abolishment of Flegg. He played a full season of PL when he was 20 cos Flegg was abolished (back the Flegg was u/21's) He never recovered from his bad season, it affected his confidence, and he was also disheartened with the fact he didnt get a look at first grade when Johns was injured. The kid is quality and it seems he will be running around for South Newcastle next year.

Good luck either way Chebba.

Latest posts