What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year 2020

Kilkenny

Coach
I wish the West’s Tigers well in 2021. I’m not sure Madge is the miracle man to get them competitive for the top 8 but certainly I would much prefer them to make the 8 than many other sides.

The_Frog

First Grade
Yeah I can't hate the Tigers fans for being bitter. I mean, its "teenage girl angry at ex boyfriend while with new boyfriend" levels of sad, but I'm honest enough to admit I'd probably be doing the same in their situation.
I don't hate 'em, but fans of the team who ran 11th trying to laugh at the team who ran 2nd is one of the sadder sights you'll see.

I don't hate 'em, but fans of the team who ran 11th trying to laugh at the team who ran 2nd is one of the sadder sights you'll see.

I was talking up Jim to the boys tonight. I think he’s just what we need to bring the pack back.

People went nuts over Harry, but we need a leader with some composure to reign in our pack and get them on the same page and for those qualities he’s invaluable.

Footy teams are usually a compromise of sorts but I think he’s an astute buy.

Plus he has leadership written all over him. I’m predicting a joint captaincy soon enough. I am not exactly sure why he left as he has unfinished business, but It’s extremely exciting.

If it helps a lot that rank and file hated what happened at the time. We really felt for our Catbros.

Thanks.

He said at the time the news broke that he hadn’t been in direct discussions with the Panthers, which was probably right but no doubt his management or others had been which was basically misleading.

I believe Gus when he said he was over-ruled on the decision. He understood the adverse impact.

He was given total control over our recruitment and retention with catastrophic results that are still working against us today.

To be fair, we shouldn’t have trusted him to the extent we did.

I suppose he would have abandoned his post to coach the kid no matter where he was playing!

WestyLife

First Grade
Thanks.

He said at the time the news broke that he hadn’t been in direct discussions with the Panthers, which was probably right but no doubt his management or others had been which was basically misleading.

I believe Gus when he said he was over-ruled on the decision. He understood the adverse impact.

He was given total control over our recruitment and retention with catastrophic results that are still working against us today.

To be fair, we shouldn’t have trusted him to the extent we did.

I suppose he would have abandoned his post to coach the kid no matter where he was playing!

He definitely would have. I wouldn't want to work with family but each to their own.

He definitely would have. I wouldn't want to work with family but each to their own.

Someone was saying that had he stayed and seen out his contract, it expires this year anyway and he could have left us with full titles, honour and even gratitude and all that.

Had you won the gf, there was a sense of self-justification available for Ivan in terms of outcome ( the ends justify the means) but it didn’t play out that way and somewhat incredibly, he seems to have fallen on his own sword by some poor decision making mainly in failed gf prep.

Given the fact that his rightful contractual place is no longer with us, the on going damage is confined to the recruitment mess we are climbing out of.

So if the Ivan dislike factor was 10/10, it should settle into a more comfortable reading of 7/10 as a significant amount of the sting is no longer wholly justifiable.

I comment from perception and say nothing about him as a real life person, I am actually fond of young chin and I won’t tolerate any bitterness to his friends and family.

WestyLife

First Grade
Someone was saying that had he stayed and seen out his contract, it expires this year anyway and he could have left us with full titles, honour and even gratitude and all that.

Had you won the gf, there was a sense of self-justification available for Ivan in terms of outcome ( the ends justify the means) but it didn’t play out that way and somewhat incredibly, he seems to have fallen on his own sword by some poor decision making mainly in failed gf prep.

Given the fact that his rightful contractual place is no longer with us, the on going damage is confined to the recruitment mess we are climbing out of.

So if the Ivan dislike factor was 10/10, it should settle into a more comfortable reading of 7/10 as a significant amount of the sting is no longer wholly justifiable.

I comment from perception and say nothing about him as a real life person, I am actually fond of young chin and I won’t tolerate any bitterness to his friends and family.

That's what never made sense. We could've just waited a year. Oh well hopefully it allowed the Tigers to make positive changes after nearly a decade of bad coaching and decision making. Sometimes you've gotta hit rock bottom to work up again.

That's what never made sense. We could've just waited a year. Oh well hopefully it allowed the Tigers to make positive changes after nearly a decade of bad coaching and decision making. Sometimes you've gotta hit rock bottom to work up again.

For the faceless panther officials leading Ivan into the valley of disrepute, they kind of get off lightly

In their defence, they were charged with leading the club to the promised land and they hatched an immensely successful plan to secure young chin. No doubt waving the family stick at him as well, a nod to parochialism and blood lines. But in their hearts, it was the right thing to do for their employers and club.

Expensive outing, I think you’ve had to foot most of the bill for Madge for the last few years!

it wasn’t a total success, but absolutely not a total failure either. An otherworldly 17 game smug and say 15 to 20 minutes away from a gf victory as real time evidence is very very impressive.

in the meantime, Ivan takes the fall as thousands of fans dislike him and his good reputation looks like it may be tainted forever

Plus of course, the inevitable ( richly undeserved) collateral family, friends and associate grief they encounter in public or what have you. Like the moron at the game.

I think the kiss was his opportunity to get back at his critics, but it was a good laugh too.

I would given Ivan a finger if the kids weren’t there but with a dumb face to play on it. Like Hunt playing up his missed catch that time. A bit of fun.

Ivans not the devil incarnate, but was swept away by temptation!

We are unlikely to see this or any squad repeat all those wins in our lifetime, but they don’t have to.

it’s been an extraordinary year for the Panthers, you should be smug!

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
For the faceless panther officials leading Ivan into the valley of disrepute, they kind of get off lightly

In their defence, they were charged with leading the club to the promised land and they hatched an immensely successful plan to secure young chin. No doubt waving the family stick at him as well, a nod to parochialism and blood lines. But in their hearts, it was the right thing to do for their employers and club.

Expensive outing, I think you’ve had to foot most of the bill for Madge for the last few years!

it wasn’t a total success, but absolutely not a total failure either. An otherworldly 17 game smug and say 15 to 20 minutes away from a gf victory as real time evidence is very very impressive.

in the meantime, Ivan takes the fall as thousands of fans dislike him and his good reputation looks like it may be tainted forever

Plus of course, the inevitable ( richly undeserved) collateral family, friends and associate grief they encounter in public or what have you. Like the moron at the game.

I think the kiss was his opportunity to get back at his critics, but it was a good laugh too.

I would given Ivan a finger if the kids weren’t there but with a dumb face to play on it. Like Hunt playing up his missed catch that time. A bit of fun.

Ivans not the devil incarnate, but was swept away by temptation!
I’ve no idea of the point you are trying to make other than I guess another anti Ivan Cleary rant.

We fell short, Ivan fell short but there is no disgrace in our achievements during the course of a difficult 2020.

I loved every minute, up until the 80 minutes against the Melbourne Storm which even allowing for what happened it was great to be there, even if the result wasn’t what we craved.

The_Frog

First Grade
Only 4 people appear to have submitted ratings for the GF, the fewest all year. I'll give it until next weekend and then close it off. It looks very much like JFH wins narrowly from Yeo.

WestyLife

First Grade
Only 4 people appear to have submitted ratings for the GF, the fewest all year. I'll give it until next weekend and then close it off. It looks very much like JFH wins narrowly from Yeo.

Haven't been game to watch it again honestly. Will rate soon.

The_Frog

First Grade
Running second in a field of 16 after winning 17 in a row isn't exactly failure, and so I think you are laying it on a bit thick there. In a perfect world he'd have finished his commitment, but that's never how it works. When it's over, nine times out of ten it's over immediately. Occasionally you see the season out but never do you start a new season with a coach who wants to leave.

And by the way, this is the Player of the Year thread. Not the place to be posting your thoughts on the Penrith coach. The GF thread would have been better. It makes it much more difficult to tally scores when there are lots of other unrelated posts intervening.

Running second in a field of 16 after winning 17 in a row isn't exactly failure, and so I think you are laying it on a bit thick there. In a perfect world he'd have finished his commitment, but that's never how it works. When it's over, nine times out of ten it's over immediately. Occasionally you see the season out but never do you start a new season with a coach who wants to leave.

And by the way, this is the Player of the Year thread. Not the place to be posting your thoughts on the Penrith coach. The GF thread would have been better. It makes it much more difficult to tally scores when there are lots of other unrelated posts intervening.

I voted for my panther players many days ago.

@WestyLife and I want to have a good natured and constructive discussion about other issues. The same as many other posters here on this thread. Where’s their vigilante greeting?!

You’re being a tad hypocritical as well because you directly address my “off topic” points and then tell everyone it’s a player points thread.

Make up your mind Frogster.

lu is essentially about sharing ideas, rightly or wrongly, if you don’t want to read things you disagree with, if it upsets or disturbs you, don’t read them, put me on ignore, do anything else but subject yourself to the dangers of different views.

Lu take a dim view of forum vigilantes.

You are more than welcome to visit wt forum and sing Ivans praises. I will disagree with you but I won’t get personal and I won’t tell you what to think or what to post.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
No one is telling you what to think.

Others (including myself) can comment on your posts, the one above is a load of twaddle. Again my point of view (which I'm entitled to have and to express)

I have no idea what your going on about......I'm not being personal just stating facts as I see them.

I have occassionally ventured unto the W/T forum, if you think the welcome mat is out think again. LOL

I'm sorry Frog I haven't voted, I will remedy this today.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Player of the year (in my opinion) Isaah Yeo, JFH and Cleary.

Rookie of the year Critta, and Lenui

Most improved Edwards and Lui

The_Frog

First Grade
Player of the year (in my opinion) Isaah Yeo, JFH and Cleary.

Rookie of the year Critta, and Lenui

Most improved Edwards and Lui
There's a core of a dozen or so Panther fans who allocate points out of 10 to every player who takes the field in our colours in every game, and that is how it's determined. While there's nothing stopping anyone who supports the Panthers voting for the Grand Final, its not voting for the player of the year as such.

Latest posts