What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai the tigepie.

Clarkent

Juniors
I agree with this, it's a big problem.
Jarome is a little bit different to all the ½backs we've had since benji/prince combo in that he has a good stop start change up which is good to break up a disciplined D.
However as you said he need a solid foundation to work off which means forwards who can give some great carries and decoy runners, players running angles, good kick chasers etc. If poor Rommy is left stranded with no options well stuff him up.
I'd love to have another Pole, someone with size and energy.
Our forwards are simply just not big and athletic enough and that's a concern for next year.
We have a big bopper coming through in Miller but he seems to be at least a year away from being ready. He needs some solid conditioning before being NRL standard.
I've always thought if Alex Seyfarth was as big and solid like Haas he would be first class.
Alex has energy, can offload and is fairly reliable. Has showed a couple of times this year that he's capable of crash play tries.
I agree, and I also hope Luai changes the Tigers culture and team chemistry the way Critta did with the Bulldogs. There's nothing more dangerous then a team running on to the field feeling confident and being in a close bond with each other, because if they have that mindset all those players will give it 💯 on the field. Off season is gonna have a huge factor on how the tigers go next season because that's where they create culture and team chemistry. Luai is going to grow Galvins game to whole another level

Nutz

Bench
I think every team wants to win and do well but if the club lacks genuine superstars it's always going to struggle. The best roster wins....usually.

Nutz

Bench
If that was the case the Roosters would've won every year
It is the case mate. They win their share. Usually these teams with good rosters are at least in the top 8, 4 and play-offs.
Penrith's outstanding run has come off a great roster and club management and the players feed off each other's talent and enthusiasm.
The Tigers are last because they are the opposite. Not rocket science hey.
You sound like a player as I was and you would have to agree you play your best football when your team are playing well and with confidence.

Vic Mackey

Referee
His play is much more measured and consistent, he is tending to making the right choices in play, but unless the Tigers get some forwards that aim up every week it’ll be hard for the halves. Luai can play a bit sideways and that won’t serve him well at the Tigers, but here’s hoping. He’s a competitor and can play hopefully he’ll get a decent foundation to play off
I agree with this, it's a big problem.
Jarome is a little bit different to all the ½backs we've had since benji/prince combo in that he has a good stop start change up which is good to break up a disciplined D.
However as you said he need a solid foundation to work off which means forwards who can give some great carries and decoy runners, players running angles, good kick chasers etc. If poor Rommy is left stranded with no options well stuff him up.
I'd love to have another Pole, someone with size and energy.
Our forwards are simply just not big and athletic enough and that's a concern for next year.
We have a big bopper coming through in Miller but he seems to be at least a year away from being ready. He needs some solid conditioning before being NRL standard.
I've always thought if Alex Seyfarth was as big and solid like Haas he would be first class.
Alex has energy, can offload and is fairly reliable. Has showed a couple of times this year that he's capable of crash play tries.

Ive said previously but i dont think our pack is that bad. The biggest issue is that our 2-5 are the worst are bringing the ball out of their end in the comp. The difference a big winger/centre can make to a sides yardage on tackles 1 and 2 is often the difference between a 25m set and a 60m set.

The only one we have whos good at this is Tupou and hes mised most of the year and is leaving. Toa and Olam and be somewhat effective but are hit and miss.

Look at a team like Saints who have Suli, Rava, Lomax, Tuipulotu etc. Its the biggest reason behind their success this year imo.

Sure forwards are important, but they arent what they used to be, its why paying $800k for Stef would be a massive mistake. A big winger/centre is basically todays front rowers.

Nutz

Bench
Ive said previously but i dont think our pack is that bad. The biggest issue is that our 2-5 are the worst are bringing the ball out of their end in the comp. The difference a big winger/centre can make to a sides yardage on tackles 1 and 2 is often the difference between a 25m set and a 60m set.

The only one we have whos good at this is Tupou and hes mised most of the year and is leaving. Toa and Olam and be somewhat effective but are hit and miss.

Look at a team like Saints who have Suli, Rava, Lomax, Tuipulotu etc. Its the biggest reason behind their success this year imo.

Sure forwards are important, but they arent what they used to be, its why paying $800k for Stef would be a massive mistake. A big winger/centre is basically todays front rowers.
It's both I feel Vic. When your playing a full set mid field it's easier to gain metres because the D has to retreat the full 10. It's that 3rd and 4th tackle in the red zone where we don't dominate in the middle and edges to then give our playmates options.
As far as bringing the ball back from deep in our end I fully agree with that.
I think it's why they tried to get a bigger taller winger in to replace Junior with Lobb. However Lobb is not elusive and in his first big hit out the other week he got injured and his play was disappointing.
The other winger we gave a 1 year contract to was Solomon but he has been carrying a bad knee since the trials.
I really like this kid Luke Laulilii. When he scored his debut try he wasn't looking to pass but instead went straight for the line...I liked his intent. He'll be good at the back if something happens to Bula.

Tiger05

First Grade
Ive said previously but i dont think our pack is that bad.

Awesome post.

I think our pack is our strength but the higher paid players like Bateman, Klemmer, Papalli and Stef haven't done enough.

A big winger/centre is basically todays front rowers.

They can make a big difference but Turuva is great and he isn't a big winger. The only player I see on our roster like that is Doueihi and I reckon he'll be lucky to hold the centre spot if To'a and Olam are both fit. I can't see us buying a player like that for next season either.

I can still see heaps of improvement with Luai and Turuva coming next year.

Nutz

Bench
Awesome post.

I think our pack is our strength but the higher paid players like Bateman, Klemmer, Papalli and Stef haven't done enough.
That's practically the whole pack Tiger, that's my point, as you hinted too, the pack isn't dominating other packs.
If you don't dominate the middle in the red zone your play makers run out of options.
We've hardly had trouble getting down the field but if you don't score when you get down there you just end up tackling all day.. as they say, the more you attack the less you defend.