What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Thanks for your kind words Nutz......Many of us have been concerned about the press intrusion at Penrith's training etc. I understand the gates have been locked on days when the team is training, and you can see all photos have been taken with a long lens.

The problem is if Ivan or Brian Fletcher confront the media, the pressure becomes even more intense.

I think it's up to us fans individually and on mass stand up to these media NRL reporters who faciliate this type of behaviour. That's why the club have given him time off. (I believe)

murraymob

Coach
I hope you guys don't mind me saying this as I know it's not my forum...but I'm compelled to say a few words.
Luai has been a huge reason why Penrith climbed to the top and won three grand finals.
I believe he's being prised out from the club he loves and this must be difficult for him.
It's a professional sport and Jarome needs to make the most of his footy career for himself and his family's future.
After he told his mates he was leaving you could tell from the images of a huddle between Jarome and his mates that he was very emotional.
He has the players support...how could they not.
IMO, Ivan should stomp on any further negative press as it unfolds and restate the club's and his appreciation of Jarome.
Jarome asked to have a break and it was granted by the club. If it is true that he needed some time away to deal with issues then we all should be concerned about his mental health and not read too much into what journos are spruking.
As someone who suffers from depression and anxiety I can tell you the afflictions wears a coat of many colours.
Often it's difficult to tell if some happy go lucky, well off and fit person is doing it tough mentally.
He's been up front, he's told the players and the club that next year is his last year and the other details he's restricted from devulging at this time.
Don't read too much into social media because it doesn't always depict people's true emotions.
Well done Jarome Luai

Sorry for the long post but while I'm here, I'd like to wish all you Pathers folk a peaceful, safe and happy Christmas and New Year.
We'll see you next year when your club tries to win yet another Grand Final.
'Nutz'
What is missing and disappointing is luia not coming out and stating he is committed to next year and will give everything to penrith.these are things that all the others that have left early have said.
None of us have a problem with him going as it is a business and he has to look after his family .just show us his commitment to next year and our club

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It’s been playing out since November 1.

How much longer do you want to enjoy this nonsense?

As someone who suggests they are involved in coaching or has knowledge of the requirements as you have alluded to in your debates with Girds why would you want this to continue from a coaching perspective. It has to be unhealthy to the overall playing group.
The players wouldn’t give two shits about whats going on with team mates contracts. 99% of the time it doesn’t get spoken about.

The only people it really effects are fans who listen to the media or the rumour mill

I'm just reading up on this and from a total outsiders view point it looks to me this way:
The young fella has made a decision to leave his "family", something he didn't really want to do but the money forced his decision.
These boys live very sheltered lives compared to the general population, his team mates throughout the last 10-15 years of being a teenager to young adult have been their own rock all together.
Surely he'd be emotionally drained by this decision.
If he his having time off from training I would have thought your coaching staff probably told him to do so. I could imagine them saying "mate you've made your decision but now we need you to get your head into helping us win the comp again next year. Take some time off, relax, then come back to us and your brothers ready to kill next year"
That would be a normal scenario.

Anyway, one thing that has occurred many a time when a player has made a decision solely made on the cash is they don't play as well because they aren't happy.
Here's a hypothetical, after a couple of years both parties (Tigers and Jerome) agree that it isn't working out and they need the cap space. Bingo, he's back at Penrith on 800k with the Tigers putting up the rest.
Under the old Tigers management you could nearly guarantee this happening, not so much now.

Iamback

Coach
I'm just reading up on this and from a total outsiders view point it looks to me this way:
The young fella has made a decision to leave his "family", something he didn't really want to do but the money forced his decision.
These boys live very sheltered lives compared to the general population, his team mates throughout the last 10-15 years of being a teenager to young adult have been their own rock all together.
Surely he'd be emotionally drained by this decision.
If he his having time off from training I would have thought your coaching staff probably told him to do so. I could imagine them saying "mate you've made your decision but now we need you to get your head into helping us win the comp again next year. Take some time off, relax, then come back to us and your brothers ready to kill next year"
That would be a normal scenario.

Anyway, one thing that has occurred many a time when a player has made a decision solely made on the cash is they don't play as well because they aren't happy.
Here's a hypothetical, after a couple of years both parties (Tigers and Jerome) agree that it isn't working out and they need the cap space. Bingo, he's back at Penrith on 800k with the Tigers putting up the rest.
Under the old Tigers management you could nearly guarantee this happening, not so much now.

I'd have no issue if he went to Management and put it like that.

We have 3 different media organisations ( Including the local club propaganda arm ) all say his management told the club he wasn't coming back.

That is a different situation

I'd have no issue if he went to Management and put it like that.

We have 3 different media organisations ( Including the local club propaganda arm ) all say his management told the club he wasn't coming back.

That is a different situation
See the cynic in me makes me see that scenario this way,
His new management will not be seeing any money from Jerome until 2025 because his deal for 2024 was cut by his old management.
They are trying the same methods other managers have used. Pressure on the club, and in turn the player. Inform the media. All so they can start making some real coin on one of their star commodities.

Iamback

Coach
See the cynic in me makes me see that scenario this way,
His new management will not be seeing any money from Jerome until 2025 because his deal for 2024 was cut by his old management.
They are trying the same methods other managers have used. Pressure on the club, and in turn the player. Inform the media. All so they can start making some real coin on one of their star commodities.

That is what I see as the motives here

Nutz

Bench
What is missing and disappointing is luia not coming out and stating he is committed to next year and will give everything
You are right there Murray, or at least your right to feel that way.
I felt that way when Luke Garner left us and went to you guys.
Even though the circumstances were different I was gutted that we had no feedback from Luke and the
fans were cranky.
However I know Luke's Dad who tragically died a few years ago. Luke would nave been gutted and I feel he's still grieving.
It's things like this that sometimes we suppporters are not privy to and how it effects him.
I wrote that post last night because my chilblains were playing up which meant I had a gut feeling that this could play out badly for Jarome and the supporters. The media will stop just short of crucifying him.
I'm just hoping that he can clear his head without being roughed up by the media and he does come out and have an emotional release in an interview and he leaves on good terms.
He is a social media type of person and I have no doubt he reads the supporting posts and the trash.

Last edited:

Sime_11

Juniors
i dont believe the club leaked the info - however if we did, its that moron Fletcher - he seems to speak out of turn quite a lot in the past 6 months

i dont believe the club leaked the info - however if we did, its that moron Fletcher - he seems to speak out of turn quite a lot in the past 6 months
When the club puts out a Statement that a player has chosen to leave, they never mention the destination.
They just wish the player all the best, thank you, and no further comment on the matter.

Remember, Shonky Richardson is now involved in all this.

Iamback

Coach
When the club puts out a Statement that a player has chosen to leave, they never mention the destination.
They just wish the player all the best, thank you, and no further comment on the matter.

Remember, Shonky Richardson is now involved in all this.

Particularly one with as much detail as to the length and amount of the deal