What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luai

Ivan was 5 years and several coach's ago. The man who orchestrated the deal Dave O"Neil is no longer at the club.
Some people need to move on.
And it was all Pascoe’s doing anyway. He set the chess board up to try and get Nate to the Tigers (which was illegal due to the salary cap rules, but hey, we know the Tigers under Pascoe played it a bit loose with salary cap rules) but was then outplayed by O’Neil who turned the game around in our favour.

You can still go back to the Tiger Forum and go back to the time preceding Ivan’s switch and therrr were old time Tiggers fans demonstrably giddy about getting Nate.

jrtiger

Juniors
The club did not leak Luai's departure to the media. Why would we? There is no benefit in doing so. There are plenty out there that like to throw rubbish at us, but we don't play petty games.
Two other parties have more to gain. The journalist with an exclusive, who is close to both the club & the player. And the manager. Who is keen to stir things up for a cut in 2024.

Luai informed the club and his teammates Saturday morning that he wouldn't be taking up the clubs offer, and would be leaving at the next seasons end.
He has a verbal agreement to join the Tigers in 2025. The Tigers have been getting everything in order, for him to sign a contract this week with them. Since then his manager has spent the week going around to the Dogs, and then the Dragons for a last-minute offer.

Much has been made about Ivan's comments regarding Luai. They are not an issue. Both have moved on from it. Anyone looking to bring that up in the media is looking for a wedge.

There is an issue that has upset Luai regarding his contract. I don't think that matter should be shared on a public forum. And won't reveal it here. It is not insurmountable.
The club will have to smooth things over in the new year. It's an issue that has been bubbling on for some time, but exaggerated by his new management team. Who shall we stay interpret things differently.
While they have his best financial interests at heart for 2025, things would be a lot better if they have his best interests at heart for 2024. Not just solely their best interests.

The club has sensibly, apart from Fletcher, kept things quiet this week. Not risking to inflame the situation.

We will not be releasing him to the Tigers for 2024. Won't happen.

Hosking likely departure is looking after his best interests. Something the club does often. The club will happily re-sign him but knows he can get a longer and more financially secure deal elsewhere. Something that has eluded him for his career. There are a few kids that could well pass him next year and that is a factor.
There won't be much salary gain by moving him on. It will be all about freeing up a roster spot.

The club is hoping for some good news before the Christmas break with a re-signing. I am not sure if they will get it done in time. If not, it will be in the new year.
It won't be a shock this one.

Merry Christmas all.
sorry Blade, but your club does play "petty games". in order to get ahead of every story, Chammas is constantly given information that is tailored to suit the agenda of the Panthers. everyone knows that. you even said it a few weeks ago. the Stephen Crichton situation has played out almost identically 12 months apart. if you don't see the parallels then, well, I can't help you.

why on earth would Chammas sabotage his relationship with your club just to get to an exclusive, given how many column inches it fills in the Herald week-to-week? the Telegraph were hours behind, and they were given nowhere near the amount of access Chammas and Zac Bailey were, both 9 Group journalists who confirmed that Luai told the players on Saturday morning that he was leaving for WT.

Iamback

Coach
sorry Blade, but your club does play "petty games". in order to get ahead of every story, Chammas is constantly given information that is tailored to suit the agenda of the Panthers. everyone knows that. you even said it a few weeks ago. the Stephen Crichton situation has played out almost identically 12 months apart. if you don't see the parallels then, well, I can't help you.

why on earth would Chammas sabotage his relationship with your club just to get to an exclusive, given how many column inches it fills in the Herald week-to-week? the Telegraph were hours behind, and they were given nowhere near the amount of access Chammas and Zac Bailey were, both 9 Group journalists who confirmed that Luai told the players on Saturday morning that he was leaving for WT.

Because it was Luai's management who leaked it for the money

Again. As Blade said what does the club have to gain from leaking it?

jrtiger

Juniors
Because it was Luai's management who leaked it for the money

Again. As Blade said what does the club have to gain from leaking it?
what was the biggest part of that story, apart from the fact that Luai was leaving? the figures. $6m over 5 years. was the same with Crichton. it instantly makes it look as if Penrith were never in the fight. ultimately I feel for you blokes because of what you have built, but you guys are complicit in playing the game as good as, if not better, than anyone else.

what do Penrith's admin constantly parade around? it goes a little something like this.

"we operate within the realms of the salary cap and abide to strict regulations regarding how much money we can afford to give certain players and positions. there are no concessions for developing local juniors. as a result, it is disappointing to let Jarome leave, given the success and the time we have invested within him, but these are the rules we must follow."

I guarantee you Fletcher comes out with something like that in the new year, irrespective of who Luai signs with.

soc123_au

Staff member
what was the biggest part of that story, apart from the fact that Luai was leaving? the figures. $6m over 5 years. was the same with Crichton. it instantly makes it look as if Penrith were never in the fight. ultimately I feel for you blokes because of what you have built, but you guys are complicit in playing the game as good as, if not better, than anyone else.

what do Penrith's admin constantly parade around? it goes a little something like this.

"we operate within the realms of the salary cap and abide to strict regulations regarding how much money we can afford to give certain players and positions. there are no concessions for developing local juniors. as a result, it is disappointing to let Jarome leave, given the success and the time we have invested within him, but these are the rules we must follow."

I guarantee you Fletcher comes out with something like that in the new year, irrespective of who Luai signs with.
Why wouldn't they? That's pretty much it in a nutshell. In this case I'd also back it to be accurate with the clubs stance on Luai.

It could also be used when the club does want to get rid of someone, to keep us looking like the good guys which is I am assuming what you are thinking? If so I think you are way off.

Fletcher says some dumb shit to the media on occasion, but we aren't a leaky ship by any stretch. Even when we were rubbish on field not much got out that they didn't want out there.

Iamback

Coach

If Luai went to the club and said he was leaving...

How did the club know the exact figures to leak?

We have re-signed 6 current rep players, all could of chased the money. So that statement isn't incorrect

Last edited:

Black Diamond

Juniors
Because Luai will only talk to him

Tigers only deal with him and Panthers only deal with him. Of course he will get all the stories
Are you his fan boy? Him and Gus hate each other's guts, he will do whatever it takes to not let Gus win this, even if it mean throwing Panthers under the bus to ensure Tigers have the upper hand. You said yourself that Tigers only speak to him. I'll take on board what Blade has said, the journo and Luai's management have plenty to gain, they both have a role in this.

Iamback

Coach
Are you his fan boy? Him and Gus hate each other's guts, he will do whatever it takes to not let Gus win this, even if it mean throwing Panthers under the bus to ensure Tigers have the upper hand. You said yourself that Tigers only speak to him. I'll take on board what Blade has said, the journo and Luai's management have plenty to gain, they both have a role in this.

No fanboy here. Your inane rambling just makes no sense

what he has to gain from him burning his bridges with the club?

jrtiger

Juniors
Why wouldn't they? That's pretty much it in a nutshell. In this case I'd also back it to be accurate with the clubs stance on Luai.

It could also be used when the club does want to get rid of someone, to keep us looking like the good guys which is I am assuming what you are thinking? If so I think you are way off.

Fletcher says some dumb shit to the media on occasion, but we aren't a leaky ship by any stretch. Even when we were rubbish on field not much got out that they didn't want out there.
I don't think your club wants to get rid of Luai at all, but they are certainly trying to control the narrative via strategic leaks, one of which was to Chammas the day Luai told the club he was leaving.

the quote that I paraphrased comes out every single time you blokes lose a marquee player. I'm in complete agreeance that it sucks that no clubs are compensated for development, I'm on your side there, but what I am saying is that Penrith have a PR process that they stick to every single time they lose a high profile player. to say that you guys don't play "petty games" is naive.

Hooked

Juniors

Every club has journalists they leak too. To get a point across. Weedler is up the arse of Gould and Politis.
Rothfield creepily spies on Gould 24/7.
Crawley/Ricky Stuart.
Peter Badel wherever Bennett goes.

The Tigers leak to everyone.

Stories have been out for months stating we would only be prepared to offer Luai $700-$800k. We eventually went up to $850k. A fair offer from our perspective.

As Blade said we have no reason to leak his departure. Chammas would only leak early if his exclusive was at risk of being. Or he posted the story after finding out from Luai's management.

My money is on the manager. Always has been. Look at the problems the same company has when Fatboy signed with Souffs.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Yet you can't tell me what he has to gain from him burning his bridges with the club?
Stirring up shit, that's what they do to get a good exclusive. He was bagging Luai on X as well. Don't know why the club would trust him, maybe they don't now.

jrtiger

Juniors
If Luai went to the club and said he was leaving...

How did the club know the exact figures to leak?
do you recall Fletcher coming out and saying that he had "heard" that "rival clubs" were going to pay Jarome upwards of $1.4 million? do you then recall Fletcher saying "we can't compete with that, we wish him the best" ?

because I certainly do. who's to say $6m over 5 years is accurate. Penrith have been pulling figures out of their backsides since September when Luai refused to put pen to paper then. who's to say what you guys offered is actually under the rumoured $850k?

Iamback

Coach
Stirring up shit, that's what they do to get a good exclusive. He was bagging Luai on X as well. Don't know why the club would trust him, maybe they don't now.

So he stirs up shit now...

And misses out on info from the club for how ever long... makes no sense.

Because it is a dog thing to do, so why not call it out?

Iamback

Coach
do you recall Fletcher coming out and saying that he had "heard" that "rival clubs" were going to pay Jarome upwards of $1.4 million? do you then recall Fletcher saying "we can't compete with that, we wish him the best" ?

because I certainly do. who's to say $6m over 5 years is accurate. Penrith have been pulling figures out of their backsides since September when Luai refused to put pen to paper then. who's to say what you guys offered is actually under the rumoured $850k?

Well Luai, calls out shit on Insta all the time

Yet hasn't disputed the figures once. Not even the $6m one.... Only said he hasn't actually signed

jrtiger

Juniors
Every club has journalists they leak too. To get a point across. Weedler is up the arse of Gould and Politis.
Rothfield creepily spies on Gould 24/7.
Crawley/Ricky Stuart.
Peter Badel wherever Bennett goes.

The Tigers leak to everyone.

Stories have been out for months stating we would only be prepared to offer Luai $700-$800k. We eventually went up to $850k. A fair offer from our perspective.

As Blade said we have no reason to leak his departure. Chammas would only leak early if his exclusive was at risk of being. Or he posted the story after finding out from Luai's management.

My money is on the manager. Always has been. Look at the problems the same company has when Fatboy signed with Souffs.
completely agree re the first bit. leaks are part of the rugby league circus. it's good fun.

all I am saying is that I find it hard to believe that Chammas was not informed by Penrith sources that Luai had told his teammates he was leaving Penrith, given he has been breaking the news regarding nearly every development in this saga from day 1. Luai gave Richo verbal confirmation last Friday night, nothing leaked there. it was after training.

while I agree that BME have been to blame for a lot of leaks, I actually believe they have a closer affinity with News Ltd. think about the article last week about the Dogs "being in front". what about the day the Chammas article broke and Brent Read said "it's not over yet, the Dogs have still been told they have a hope." Manager Dribble 101.