What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luckiest first grade career of all time

Beau Ryan - your average plodding winger who got over 100 games and a decent career in TV etc after football because he was friends with all the right people and could cracks few jokes. He wasn’t shocking but I doubt he lasts as long as he did had he been at Penrith in 2008-2012 and not been BFFs with the key players.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
Darius Boyd.

About to be punted by the Broncos and has a cry in sheds when Bennet sees him and decides to take him with him to Saints. Learns one sweep play at Fullback and somehow gets a Clive Churchill medal.

Parks himself outside Inglis at Origin and becomes the highest try scorer in Origin History by catching the ball and putting it down.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
How Aaron Woods has played so many years of first grade is an utter mystery to me
Mastered using the absolute least amount of effort to do anything. There is no extra % in any hitup or tackle, can make 40 tackles and all of them giving up 3-4 post contact metres because he is using the same amount of effort he would use to wrestle a full wheelie bin up a kerb

dogslife

Coach
Jack Reed comes to mind.

Lachlan Lewis got kissed on the dick being around when the Bulldogs genuinely had nothing else.

Mastered using the absolute least amount of effort to do anything. There is no extra % in any hitup or tackle, can make 40 tackles and all of them giving up 3-4 post contact metres because he is using the same amount of effort he would use to wrestle a full wheelie bin up a kerb
Low missed tackle count because it doesn't count when players run past and no attempt is made to make a tackle

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Beau Ryan - your average plodding winger who got over 100 games and a decent career in TV etc after football because he was friends with all the right people and could cracks few jokes. He wasn’t shocking but I doubt he lasts as long as he did had he been at Penrith in 2008-2012 and not been BFFs with the key players.
He was briefly in HI5 too wasn't he ?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I know this goes against the intended spirit of the OP because the player I’ve picked had unquestionable talent. Andrew Ettingshausen was blessed with stunning looks, stunning talent and boofed Elle Macpherson. Kissed on the dick literally by God himself. Luckiest merkin ever.

I think his good looks made him horribly under rated as a player, the guy was an absolute gun. In Paul Sironens book he said when ET came into grade everyone thought he was a showpony with no toughness so they had a gameplan of having Sirro run at him all day. ET then proceeded to put Sirro on his arse all afternoon.

If I was to make an alltime NSW Origin 17 I'd seriously try and find a place for him.

mxlegend99

Referee
NRL wise... Adrian Purtell hasn't been mentioned yet. Absolutely no talent. No speed. Just a tall body slow uncoordinated bloke who somehow carved out a 100+ NRL game career.

Even when Elliott had a team stacked with backs. He just moved him to the forwards to keep him in the team.

Rep wise... Mitchell Pearce. He had nearly unlimited chances despite constant failure. NSW win a series the second he wasn't picked... They still go out and give him a bunch more opportunities. Before he eventually got that elusive series win by only being required for one game of the series and thankfully not shitting the bed.