What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luckiest first grade career of all time

gordsy

Juniors
Tim Moltzen, only played in firsts because he popular with players who ha a say in picking the team..
Ryan Ohara, when he played for the Tigers he was dog shit. Robbie Farrah good player but crickey he was a selfish one as well. Close to the line everyone knew he was going himself.

Last edited:
Menzies was a good edge player who could hit a hole. I guess the lucky part came with the fact he was dropped into the same team as Cliff Lyons. He just seemed to run the lines that Cliffs liked his outside men to run. Not saying Menzies wasn’t a great player. Think of it like Steve Simpson running the lines Joey liked.

An example of an ordinary player being made to look good under this technique, think Shannon Hegarty. Once Freddy retired he looked Harold Matthews Cup quality, yet when Freddy played Hegs got into the Qld team.

I'll stick up for Hegarty somewhat. He suffered a major leg injury in the 2004 pre-season and didn't get back onto the field until Round 17 of that year. That leg injury certainly effected his acceleration and speed, as he never regained what he'd had prior to that injury. It's why the Roosters let him leave at the end of 2004 and sign for Souths for 2005. Hegs only 3 games in Origin were for the 2003 series and he played on the wing, whilst for much of his time at the Roosters he was in the centres.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I'll stick up for Hegarty somewhat. He suffered a major leg injury in the 2004 pre-season and didn't get back onto the field until Round 17 of that year. That leg injury certainly effected his acceleration and speed, as he never regained what he'd had prior to that injury. It's why the Roosters let him leave at the end of 2004 and sign for Souths for 2005. Hegs only 3 games in Origin were for the 2003 series and he played on the wing, whilst for much of his time at the Roosters he was in the centres.
He was pretty busted by the time he made it up north.

had he gone somewhere with decent halves he probably would have been fine. Look at a player like Chris Lawrence. Could hit a hole and had blistering pace so he made a gun centre. When a horrific injury cost him his pace he still had a prolonged career in the back row because he could still hit a hole on the edge. His success there tended to fluctuated based on the quality of the half he was running off at the time. If Hegarty went to a team like the cowboys in 2005 he probably would have done alright, as Thurston and Bowen could put him into a gap.

_Johnsy

Referee
Which NRL player has had the luckiest first grade career of all time. Which player seems to have been kissed on the dick the most?

My nomination is Braith Anasta. For a guy who has played in two absolutely cracking football teams, he has had a very fortunate career considering his ability. If you put Anasta in a team like the Tigers first up, I doubt his career goes anywhere. He has benefitted greatly from the great work of players around him though his career.....which led him to Origin selection.
Based of that rationale alone. Kevin Walters aka The Kevining.

Saxon

Bench
When answering this question I like to look at players that maximised relatively low talent by winning premiership/s

Paul Marquet

257 games and 2 premierships without a single rep game as far as I can see. I can't say I even really remember him so if someone wants to tell me he was a gun, I'm all ears.
Not a gun, but a really solid foot soldier.
Wasn't particularly talented, but the absolute example of "hard work will get you there". Made his yards, stuck his tackles. Don't think I ever saw him drop the ball.
Quiet, unassuming, just happy to be there.

Based of that rationale alone. Kevin Walters aka The Kevining.

Can't agree with that thinking regarding Walters. Kevin was a gun player who was able to win a premiership with a less talented partner in the halves (aka Ben Ikin), something that Allan Langer was unable to do.

p.s.

I know you weren't suggesting Walters, I was just poo pooing the rationale is all.

eagles4eva

First Grade
David Wolfman Williams, outside of Lyon, just had to catch the ball. How he played Rep footy is beyond me..

And lets not forget his attempted comedy stint on the footy show..

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
David Wolfman Williams, outside of Lyon, just had to catch the ball. How he played Rep footy is beyond me..

If he didn't have a beard then the commentator's don't want over him and he doesn't get in the rep scene. Not a complete plod, but just not the best out of the bunch

mongoose

Coach
Can't agree with that thinking regarding Walters. Kevin was a gun player who was able to win a premiership with a less talented partner in the halves (aka Ben Ikin), something that Allan Langer was unable to do.

p.s.

I know you weren't suggesting Walters, I was just poo pooing the rationale is all.
He had Lockyer at fullback, Sailor and Tuqiri on the wings and ridiculous forward pack in front of him. Kevvy was still a good player ofcourse..

Munky

Coach
anyone said Aaron Woods yet? god knows how this plodder managed to play 14 games for NSW and 250 first grade games

Fourteen games is pretty ridiculous. A half decade of walk up caps for no return.

Edit: Just looked up his stats, he's not yet thirty five. I thought he must be over thirty five given how ineffective he has been for about five years.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach

He did score a pretty decent try in origin from what I remember. He wasn’t a bad pick at the time. Nothing comes close to Merritt/Turner

He did score a pretty decent try in origin from what I remember. He wasn’t a bad pick at the time. Nothing comes close to Merritt/Turner

Yep, until Daniel Tupou went to town on Williams during the 2013 GF, he was a good player. That GF saw his confidence fall away so badly he was rather poor after that as he never seemed to recover.

Munky

Coach
Tony Williams played 170 NRL games, 3 origins and 5 tests for Australia.

For a guy whose only football attribute was being f**king massive that's a pretty good return.