What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lui to test his value on the open market

The Gambler

Juniors
Finally. Moltzen is a good young player recovering physically and psychologically from a knee reconstruction. He needs time on the field and supporters to have patience.
Completely agree - he needs time on the field - in State Cup!

R2Coupe

Juniors

Both close in age, yet one has spent nearly a year out of rl with injury. He has been switched between positions yet is considered the finished product?

Hardly logical. I believe both players to be very good and far from the finished product A lot of potential yet some of the supporters on this forum are so quick to turn on their players?

Say what you will about Lui being a better player, but Moltzen is simply the better halfback. Lui may be more talented, better ball player and what not, but he's not a halfback. Moltzen isn't either, but he's a hell of a lot closer to what we need than Lui is. Moltzen provides better organisation, structure and cohesion. He is able to link and distribute a lot better than Lui is and works a lot better as the 3rd play maker in the team. The only thing which turns me off Moltzen at halfback is his lack of confidence to kick the ball. If he actually decided to kick the ball once in a while with the good boot he has, he'd pretty much be perfect at the position for us. Benji and Farah's ball playing etc along with Moltzen's running game (it was awesome prior to the knee injury) and his distribution is the ideal set up for us. It can be considered somewhat of a co-incidence that we have such a good record with Moltzen at halfback, obviously, but it's no co-incidence that the results under him are the best and most consistent we've had since Prince has been at the club.

gordsy

Juniors
Even if you do rate Lui ahead of Moltzen you have to admit he can be hopeless in defence. The disgraceful effort he made in the 34th minute last week on the goal line was the sign of a guy who just didn't even try.

DanOz

Juniors
To this point Lui is a frontrunner imo - can play well when we are ahead and there is no pressure. He is defensively inept and goes missing and looks disinterested when the pressure is on.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Immaterial of what we think, Lui has the front running with Sheens in control there at WT. Sheens does not rate Moltzen at half, he has continually run Moltzens efforts down there whilst he played at half and talked up Lui's.

I reckon it will be Moltzen leaving WT in 2012, not Lui. I think they're both pretty much on par with one another with differing defects in both their games but hopefully time and experience wil help that.

I prefer Moltzen to Lui, others the other way around, but either way we finally have some halfback options at WT. And, to make the mix even more interesting a wild card wiht Miller there looking for opportunity. (but i think he is only an a 1 yr contract ending this season- maybe WT intentions with Miller with make a decision for the other 2????)

Immaterial of what we think, Lui has the front running with Sheens in control there at WT. Sheens does not rate Moltzen at half, he has continually run Moltzens efforts down there whilst he played at half and talked up Lui's.

I reckon it will be Moltzen leaving WT in 2012, not Lui. I think they're both pretty much on par with one another with differing defects in both their games but hopefully time and experience wil help that.

I prefer Moltzen to Lui, others the other way around, but either way we finally have some halfback options at WT. And, to make the mix even more interesting a wild card wiht Miller there looking for opportunity. (but i think he is only an a 1 yr contract ending this season- maybe WT intentions with Miller with make a decision for the other 2????)

I prefer Lui to Moltzen as I think he offers more variety and has a greater set of skills, it is just an opinion and I can see why others have it the other way around. Sheens preferes Lui at #7 and he is the coach for the next few years, so barring injury Lui will be the #7. I think young Miller is a very exciting prospect and I believe he is signed up to the end of 2012 ( I may be wrong and I am sure other clubs would be chasing him).

Young Sironen is also a very good prospect ( great hands, strong and good kicking game) who currently plays #6 in the 20's. If we keep 3 out of Lui, Miller, Moltzen and Sironen for the next 3 years I will be a very happy Tigers supporter (just wonder were Sheens will play them but I have a felling that Sironen may end up in the centres or lock).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Young Sironen does look good.

He can either try and become faster and play in the centres, or bulk up a bit and be an awesome Lock.

R2Coupe

Juniors
It is likely Lui might feel the blowtorch applied by Jacob Miller. He is only young but I am glad he is with the Tigers. Lui needs to lift his game and find consistency. I am sure Miller will if he won't.

typicalfan

Coach
The only reason Lui is ahead of Moltzen is because Moltzen got a serious injury and Sheens likes to play him out of position. As a neutral I would take Moltzen any day of the week. All players with these types of injuries are slow to get back to their best Moltzen is no different.

Lui is talented but more talented than Moltzen? I don't think he is.

Tigerm

First Grade
It is likely Lui might feel the blowtorch applied by Jacob Miller. He is only young but I am glad he is with the Tigers. Lui needs to lift his game and find consistency. I am sure Miller will if he won't.
So now you are pushing for an 18yo to takeover from a 20yo?
IMO, the reason you don't want to push youth so quickly is their mistake rates, they need to learn that what they did in the juniors wont (always) work in the NRL. They need to learn to be consistent & patient. Remember these kids got here because they were junior superstars, they are now just a player in a big group of superstars.
Unfortunately playing at 7 in the WT's you also have to cope with our 9 & 6 demands, any player would struggle with this, but especially young ones who are still trying to find their feet & only time will do that. I can't see any benefit in swapping & changing (make your choice & persist & coach them).
You appear to know more about our young one's than I, but I don't hear of anyone screaming out to be picked (over our NRL squad) in the current talent pool that we have?
We have had this discussion before, what happens if we put Miller in now & he fails, where do we go from there?

Last edited:

R2Coupe

Juniors
I am suggesting Lui needs to lift and find consistency in his game. If he won't, don't be surprised if Miller can.

I support all the young halves and you can see my support of Moltzen, Lui and Miller. I believe there is room for all and competition is good.

Moltzen imo is an outstanding talent, so is Lui. Miller may be the best of the lot.

leoc

Juniors
Well, Lui played to his best again. Can we please try Moltzen at 7 when Lote comes back next week? Brown in for Moltzen, Lote on for Brown, Moltzen in for Lui and Lui left right out!!!!

Front-Rower

First Grade
Well, Lui played to his best again. Can we please try Moltzen at 7 when Lote comes back next week? Brown in for Moltzen, Lote on for Brown, Moltzen in for Lui and Lui left right out!!!!

Lote is two weeks away still having trouble with an infection in his arm from the drip (Can't remember exactly what was said but it is an infection in his arm) - Ellis probably next week..Tim Sheens on 2GB tonight.

I think as long as Lui is fit with Sheens as coach he will pick Lui at half. Sheens likes Lui a lot. Look all young halves will have good and bad games and tonight was not a great game for Lui. The game against the Raiders he was outstanding as he was in the finals last year against the Dragons.

Lui is a 20 year old that has his best football ahead of him. I think by the time he is about 23-24 he will be amongst the top halves in the NRL, I may be way wrong but I think that I will be right, I just hope he is still with the Tigers. Moltzen as I have said previously is a good player but for mine doesn't quiet have as many skills as Lui, just an opinion I have.

Young Miller and Sironen still both look very promising in the halves in the 20's. Does anyone know if the Tigers employ a halves coach like Matthew or Andrew Johns? For mine there are some great young halves at the tigers and they could benefit from some expert coaching.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I agree with what you have written. Young halves are inconsistent and Lui needs to find consistency of performance in his game.

Miller is outstanding and we have an extremely talented half called Luke Brooks. The future looks good.

DanOz

Juniors

Amen. Shame Supercoach does not agree.