What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lui

N.C.

Juniors
Tonight was the first time I've really had a look at the guy.

Can't really see what the problem is. Sure he let in a soft try but some of his attacking work towards the back end of the game (laying on our last two tries) was pretty impressive.

Hope he's gained some confidence for his trouble... Looks like he could be the goods.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds like he finally did something of use.

Most of the time he was standing around like a brown cow, especially in defence.

And I mean standing. He was more often than not flat footed in all previous games.

As It's still 2 hours before we get the game here, I might see if I can stay up.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Had a good game tonight. Defense was a little iffy at times, but thats not unusual for a lot of halfs. I would prefer to see him at first receiver & Benji at 2nd, that would let Benji play his natural game alot better. He is also good close to the line on attack, Benji seems to always want to go for the miracle play & hand over the ball cheaply, whereas Lui was much better at gaining repeat sets. This is something we are in dire need of, we are unable to build pressure. Benji seems to not understand the concept of it.

westie

Bench
He has many issues... one thing stood out though. When Daniela and Ryan conspired to blow that try, Ellis should have been under the sticks. I'm not sure if he took a bollocking from the big man... but he didn't miss him the second time.

N.C.

Juniors
Yeah, I'm not saying he's going to play Origin next week, and there are surely some things he needs to work on... But I'm pretty happy with what I saw from a 20 year old with only about 10 first grade games under his belt. Given he's our only fit halfback, I hope he works his way into some consistent form.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
He has many issues... one thing stood out though. When Daniela and Ryan conspired to blow that try, Ellis should have been under the sticks. I'm not sure if he took a bollocking from the big man... but he didn't miss him the second time.

Westie, do you think he his worth persisting with or should we discard him & try someone/something else? Keep in mind this is a 20yr old kid who has only about 10 first grade games under his belt.

IMO he is, he showed some glimpses tonight that leave me to believe he definately has a future. His defense needs work & he needs to learn to find the grass with his long kicks, but I would leave him at half for the rest of the season.

innsaneink

Referee
His strength in the 20s was his ball playing, Sheens will soon eradicate that from his game, that said he's a work in progress and if he gets stuck into the big macs and work on his D, he may one day find himself in the backrow where his skills can be used again

westie

Bench
Westie, do you think he his worth persisting with or should we discard him & try someone/something else? Keep in mind this is a 20yr old kid who has only about 10 first grade games under his belt.

IMO he is, he showed some glimpses tonight that leave me to believe he definately has a future. His defense needs work & he needs to learn to find the grass with his long kicks, but I would leave him at half for the rest of the season.

I don't like him, especially under pressure... which he wasn't tonight. But we don't exactly have any one else (that sheens will use)

I would still rather see Taumata wearing the 7...i think he would suit our style of play a lot more... But in saying that, Lui wasn't too too bad tonight..still room for improvement though...

I watched a lot of Lui playing last year, he has a lot of talent and is young enough to still be playing for the 20's. Still think his best position is 5/8th but will do well as a half.

In my 30 plus years of watching the tigers I can't remember a better young halves prospect at our club than Lui.

Any young half will make mistakes but this kid skills with the ball are definitely worth sticking with him for the rest of the year.

Personally I think in about 2 year time when his current contract is up he will be one of the most sought after players in the game.

Borat.

Juniors
I watched a lot of Lui playing last year, he has a lot of talent and is young enough to still be playing for the 20's. Still think his best position is 5/8th but will do well as a half.

In my 30 plus years of watching the tigers I can't remember a better young halves prospect at our club than Lui.

Any young half will make mistakes but this kid skills with the ball are definitely worth sticking with him for the rest of the year.

Personally I think in about 2 year time when his current contract is up he will be one of the most sought after players in the game.

I agree- he has struggled at times- but I thought he was solid last night-

Compare his defence to Benji's when he first made the grade and he is all over Benji. Made some good tackles, missed some also but had a good game.

He will need the best part of the season to find his spot with Benji and Robbie- his short kicking game is good, but needs to stand a little deeper on the long kick.....

I thought he would be rookie of the year....don't know...but I know he will come good

D

Deleted member 10972

Taumata, Lui are both five-eighths.

Benji is a five-eighth.

Therein lies the problem. They are all players whose best assets are their running games and standing at second receiver.

Tigers need an ACTUAL halfback. What about that Darren Nichols bloke from the U20s last year? He was a good player.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Lui is a good prospect and played well. He admits it is difficult to over rule more senior players but he is learning.

With Dwyer and Fifita they form an exciting trio. All produced under the Sheens era. I’m sure many clubs would love to have them..

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Lui is a good prospect and played well. He admits it is difficult to over rule more senior players but he is learning.

With Dwyer and Fifita they form an exciting trio. All produced under the Sheens era. I’m sure many clubs would love to have them..

At this stage of their careers I think you are being over generous to Sheens and miserly in applauding Wests Magpies and Balmain Tigers junior development, NYC and State Cup teams and coaches. Yes Sheens is bringing them on and providing opportunity in the NRL squad.

Sheens can be applauded with with the development & maturing of Tuiaki, Ayshford, Ryan, Lawrence, Marshall, Gibbs, Moltzen, Payuten, Farah, Heiginton and Galloway- all players that have been long term WT players.

Kudo's as well for the recruitment of Ellis and Flanagan from ESL and return of Tiquiri, Fulton and Fitzhenry from o'seas.

Brickbats- for the debacle with John Morris- not for his defensive ability on the field but for Sheens vision of him as a halfback, the lame WT recruitment since 2005 has to be laid at his door too- including bringing Moodie back for 1 season too many- and the jury is out on whether the same applies with Fitzhenry

I think Lui, Dwyer and Andrew Fifita will mature into fine players (whether Lui is a half or better as a 5/8 or centre lets see over time).

R2Coupe

Juniors
I took a holistic view of the production of talent under Sheens. It wasn’t my intention to undersell the efforts of Wests and Balmain.

Sheens’ appreciation of the need to put in place a structure to allow the junior strengths of both clubs to blossom and therefore provide for the future of the club has been undersold.

Also, his arrangement also with Keebra Park really hasn’t received the recognition it should.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I took a holistic view of the production of talent under Sheens. It wasn’t my intention to undersell the efforts of Wests and Balmain in the development of talent.

Sheens’ appreciation of the need to put in place a structure to allow the junior strengths of both clubs to blossom and therefore provide for the future of the club has been undersold.

Also, his arrangement also with Keebra Park really hasn’t received the recognition it should.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors

Have you heard of Grant Jones you twat ?

You think Sheens produced these kids ? f**k me. They were the stars of the 20's before they were in the top 25. Tough job that Sheens has. Miracle worker he is.

N.C.

Juniors
Er... Did you read the rest of the thread before you posted, Reek? You know, the whopping three (including one double) posts after the one you've referred to, all on the same point of clarification?