What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Brooks

gordsy

Juniors
Lots of people rate Joey as a superstar coach I have my doubts but either way Brooks is not the answer for us. To me it boils down to the following,
Who do we have coming through ?
Are they ready ? When will / should they be ready ?
If they're not, will throwing them in early cripple their progression ?
How do we plan to get the best out of Brooks / whoever replaces him.
What the plan if Brooks's replacement is a dud
Can we get similar productions for significantly less money with another player
Would we have to chip in to piss Brooks off ?
If we get rid of Brooks can we be better by using his salary in other positions to boost the team overall ?

As someone else mentioned it would be good to see Brooks at another club behind a strong pack with a good halves partner to put the talk or him being maligned to bed one way or another for good.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think the club would have been fine to move Brooks on if Douihi wasn't out for 6 months. Madden's form in reserve grade was very good but it's a huge step to NRL and he's just not quite there yet. I think a full year will do him a world of good then he will really start putting pressure on whoever our halves are.

Unless we are getting a marquee player as a trade for Brooks, there is absolutely no reason to let him go. Hastings is unproven, Madden needs more time in reserves and Peachy is not a long term option.

Brooks and Hastings can play in the halves together for half the year and either they will set the world on fire together and keep Doeuihi out of the 6 jersey (a good headache to have), or one will be outshone by the other and be relegated to reserves to join Madden until there is an injury. If Brooks happens to be that player then tap him on the shoulder at the end of the year and Hastings/Doueihi are our halves, if it's Hastings then he can be our utility or bide his time in reserves.

Letting Brooks go to sign an average first grader, or a quality player who isn't keen to come to Tigers is of no benefit to our 2022 season

Tiger05

First Grade
Letting Brooks go to sign an average first grader, or a quality player who isn't keen to come to Tigers is of no benefit to our 2022 season

Exactly. I assume Brooks and Hastings will be our halves at the start of next season. Doueihi has to come back. He might come back in the 6 or the centre or even fullback.

If we can swap Brooks for Munster we should do that but it's not going to happen.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Brooks leaving would be best for us and him. For whatever reason it just hasnt worked out for for him here, I feel the club has been partly to blame for this however 2021 all the excuses went out the door and he had one of his worst years in first grade. Its rare that a player leaves and you genuinely wish them all the best but with him I absolutely would. I would love to see him go to another club, play his best footy and take his team to the finals.

If Doueihi didnt do his ACL I absolutely believe he would be leaving, however the club will probably (short sightedly) make him stay now. Next year is going to be a write off anyway, just suck it up and have Hastings paired with Madden/Peachey until AD is back.

Someone will pick up Brooks at full freight or very close too, then with that $800k we could get a real quality forward or centre whcih would improve the team overall.

WA Tiger

Bench
If WT can resign Madge just so we can send out the message to possible recruits that we are a stable club (quoted word for word from Lee) then reasons and motivations for keeping Brookes are likely as illogical and as borne out of fear and therefore pointless to agonise over the reasoning …I’m hoping sheens doesn’t get sucked into that vortex ..although I’m sure he will be pressured in some way

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Someone will pick up Brooks at full freight or very close too, then with that $800k we could get a real quality forward or centre whcih would improve the team overall.

The problem is this won't happen or we'll sign some muppet for the money. I'm fine with Brooks leaving and I think it could be good for him. It could definitely be really good for us if we used that money and signed a top tier player but I figure we've got the money now. The players aren't available.

Well realistically, his market value at the moment is 550-600 except when you take into account the lack of halves in the market.

The club is doing the right thing, pressuring the market as we don’t want to make a donation to the Knights and I’ve the dogs are in the foyer, happy to continue their amazing cull.

Certainly the brooksy troubles are really good news for Jock and all aspiring halves.

Way out on a limb here, but if he’s fit and wants another season I’m not adverse to Blake Green going around again as emergency depth stop gap. Cheap and cheerful off the bench. Ive always held a sneaking admiration for his game. Slowed down but he’s a great footy mind. Benji without the hang ups.

It's ok Mr Silver ..imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ..just kidding with young 05.
All good, I was worried you were turning into one of those Tyrone May supporters that were creeping people out here on Panther LU.

Many wanting to argue his case up until their own club issued him with show cause.

Now a sudden change of heart.

The Panther General Merkin Level ( PGML) has been at an all time high since the bus driver took over.

On many estimations, their whole grand final experience has been wrecked. feel for their average mug fan. Shocking and disturbing business. Rumours of unhappy sponsors, polls suggesting deep unhappiness.

18 days for their club to pull its head out of the sand is too long, but credit that they are responding now.

Of course 05 freaked at the players Karening over Brooksys gong. I understand, such is life.

Last edited:
I look at Buzz rating his top 50 players. Hughes is number 5. You might not agree with Buzz’s ranking (or frankly anything Buzz says) but he is a top tier player in the league.

I think his and Brooks’ skill set are very similar.

Now if you had of looked at the two players side by side two years ago, 99 people out of 100 would have put Brooks as the more talented.

Good coaching and the ability to find the square hole for the square peg is critical.

Don’t let Brooks go; he’ll head to the Roosters, or replace Munster in Melbourne and play SoO in 2 years.

WT Unity

Juniors
Brooks leaving would be best for us and him. For whatever reason it just hasnt worked out for for him here, I feel the club has been partly to blame for this however 2021 all the excuses went out the door and he had one of his worst years in first grade. Its rare that a player leaves and you genuinely wish them all the best but with him I absolutely would. I would love to see him go to another club, play his best footy and take his team to the finals.

If Doueihi didnt do his ACL I absolutely believe he would be leaving, however the club will probably (short sightedly) make him stay now. Next year is going to be a write off anyway, just suck it up and have Hastings paired with Madden/Peachey until AD is back.

Yeah but don't you feel that Brooks has been used all wrong. IMO he is not a game manager, steer the team around the park type of half yet the WT have consistently tried to make him play that role and I think its square peg round hole kind of stuff. Even at the start of this year in the wake of Benji going it was all Brooks will be given the keys to the team....that's BS in my opinion because he is a running half with some playmaking ability who would be at his best without the responsibility of steering the team around the park. Example in terms of playing style not necessarily an ability comparison but I'm suggesting similar to Luke Keary who is / was at his best when the Roosters had Cooper running the show, kicking and steering the team around the park.
The question for 2022.....Can Hastings be the Cooper to our Luke? (Once again in terms of roles to be played not an out and out ability comparison - It's a playing style comparison, please don't think I'm suggesting Hastings is as good as Cooper Cronk).

stryker

First Grade
I look at Buzz rating his top 50 players. Hughes is number 5. You might not agree with Buzz’s ranking (or frankly anything Buzz says) but he is a top tier player in the league.

I think his and Brooks’ skill set are very similar.

Now if you had of looked at the two players side by side two years ago, 99 people out of 100 would have put Brooks as the more talented.

Good coaching and the ability to find the square hole for the square peg is critical.

Don’t let Brooks go; he’ll head to the Roosters, or replace Munster in Melbourne and play SoO in 2 years.
Brooks is shit, nothing will change that.
The useless little gnome should be selling hamburgers at the drive through…

Pearce is seeking his release to retire in the esl, so we really shouldn't waste any time dumping Brooksy on the knights without further ado.

The club should pay for Pearce's flight to Calais as a surprise gift. That would be a massive saving of about $400K which is the cost of Brooksy warming the bench for the balance of the season once AD is back on deck, killing it in the halves with "Hasto"

Fordy20

Juniors
It's ok Mr Silver ..imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ..just kidding with young 05.
Figured you were imitating the people on WTF.

Pearce is seeking his release to retire in the esl, so we really shouldn't waste any time dumping Brooksy on the knights without further ado.

The club should pay for Pearce's flight to Calais as a surprise gift. That would be a massive saving of about $400K which is the cost of Brooksy warming the bench for the balance of the season once AD is back on deck, killing it in the halves with "Hasto"

Even if I did share the majority opinion of Brooks, why on earth would we give Brooks to the Knights and get nothing in return when we could trade him to the Dogs for Luke Thompson?