What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt-The best kick returner in the NRL.

spiderdan

Bench
burt had some good stats at fullback but surely anyone can see we look a more dangerous side with hayne at fullback.

Pazza

First Grade
burty looks great on the wing, plus burt & hayne combined well to bring the ball back!

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah the back 3 really shined yesterday actually our wingers played better than our fullback despite the horror and disgust of the Hayne lovers.

oldmancraigy

Coach
yeah the back 3 really shined yesterday actually our wingers played better than our fullback despite the horror and disgust of the Hayne lovers.

If I was awarding ratings out of 10, then I'd be giving all 3 of them an 8.

Hayne did happen to put Burt away on those 2 nice runs. He also busted the line in the first half, but couldn't find a support. And, but for a nice tip by their winger, would've put Burt in out wide late in the game with a lovely long ball.

And he just presents himself to run the ball so often - and often looks dangerous doing it!

If he hadn't rolled the ball along the ground twice (Brett Finch style) I think we'd all be saying what a sensational game he had.

Having said that - Burt and Grothe WERE both really strong!

SDM

First Grade
Are the tigers going to try this time? Last few times I have been to this game they sure as hell haven't.

The Colonel

Immortal
If I was awarding ratings out of 10, then I'd be giving all 3 of them an 8.

Hayne did happen to put Burt away on those 2 nice runs. He also busted the line in the first half, but couldn't find a support. And, but for a nice tip by their winger, would've put Burt in out wide late in the game with a lovely long ball.

And he just presents himself to run the ball so often - and often looks dangerous doing it!

If he hadn't rolled the ball along the ground twice (Brett Finch style) I think we'd all be saying what a sensational game he had.

Having said that - Burt and Grothe WERE both really strong!

Hayne would have got a seven I reckon for the main reason he was trying too hard. Some of those passes off the hip could have caused more problems than they were worth. There were times yesterday he needed to step up and did but there were times he could have let Mortimer take a bit more control and been the running option out wide looking for the pass rather than trying to give it.....

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Why does it have to be Burt Fullback and Hayne Wing or vice versa.

Does anyone else agree that we do best when they interchange their positions throughout the game, and depending on who's kicking for the opposition?
Surely it doesn't matter what number they are wearing on their back, as long as the job gets done... i think that keeping that position rotating (and throw in Joel Reddy there too, as he can play both) allows for alot more attacking options, and keeps the oppostion on their toes.

Luke's strength is his talk. Watching him at fullback, he's just constant talking - barking where the holes are, where the play is moving - shift left, drop back. Makes our defense alot stronger IMO

forward pass

Coach
Hayne would have got a seven I reckon for the main reason he was trying too hard. Some of those passes off the hip could have caused more problems than they were worth. There were times yesterday he needed to step up and did but there were times he could have let Mortimer take a bit more control and been the running option out wide looking for the pass rather than trying to give it.....

yeah - he lost a point for taking the tackle at the end of the match instead of kicking it into touch - or even better - kicking it dead. He gave the knights one last play !

The Colonel

Immortal
yeah - he lost a point for taking the tackle at the end of the match instead of kicking it into touch - or even better - kicking it dead. He gave the knights one last play !

I was closing my eyes at that point...... I would rather he held the ball and turned around and ran into touch.

Stagger eel

Staff member

I noticed that, and until now it never rated a mention..

can you imagine if that was Lowrie that did it???

oldmancraigy

Coach
Luke's strength is his talk. Watching him at fullback, he's just constant talking - barking where the holes are, where the play is moving - shift left, drop back. Makes our defense alot stronger IMO

:?

That's been shown to be a fallacy...

Luke might say a lot back there - but it doesn't mean (a) anyone is listening/ can hear him or (b) he's saying the right things

Because our defence with Hayne at FB is significantly better.

I don't mind Luke taking a 5 minute stanza there during the game, but when we have one of the best FBs in the game - both in attack and defense - we have to use him for all he's worth!

Back on topic - Luke Burt rocks at kick returns :sarcasm:

spiderdan

Bench
if our defence is structured properly then luke should be playing a secondary fullback role anyway. in attack though, i think hayne offers a lot more. i also think luke has looked an even better player since moving to the wing.