What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

Durantula35

Juniors
Tonight by half time had made as much of a contribution as I had sitting in my lounge room:

0 tackles
0 runs
0 involvement

Pretty poor effort by a veteran player I thought. Normally I wouldn't single one person out but when they flat out don't contribute anything and go missing they deserve a spray.

2nd half he came good and busted his boiler for 5 runs though. & 2 missed goals, at least kick it dead .. Not a good effort at all.

Durantula35

Juniors
True that! but nothing makes my blood boil more than blokes who don't put in!

Everyone has bad games, everyone has times of low confidence, but he flat out did not put in. Not doing one thing in a whole half of football is terrible. Guru did more work then him and he lasted about 10mins. Have a go Luke!

I never rated Burt before but he has put egg on my face for the last few years including this year. He's been awesome and a very smart player.

Today was a poor game him by Burt but so did a few others in the team.

What Irked me the most was the shot at goal. if that was Burts call then he should be smashed for it. It was way too far out to take a kick. And the play itself was very very negative. Burt might as well have put a sign up saying "Hi Newcastle were giving up now, games yours love Burty"

Durantula35

Juniors
I never rated Burt before but he has put egg on my face for the last few years including this year. He's been awesome and a very smart player.

Today was a poor game him by Burt but so did a few others in the team.

What Irked me the most was the shot at goal. if that was Burts call then he should be smashed for it. It was way too far out to take a kick. And the play itself was very very negative. Burt might as well have put a sign up saying "Hi Newcastle were giving up now, games yours love Burty"

Ando said it was his call and didn't look too impressed with it.

I've always thought when the teams going well, Burts going well and he's over rated, but that was one of the worst EFFORTS i've seen from a seasoned first grader in a long long time. He should be blasted for it. Others didn't play well but we were almost playing with 12.

Eels Dude

Coach
Wingers aren't there to make tackles unless someone runs at them... so it's hardly fair to have a go at him for not making any tackles in the first half. When it comes to runs... well that's not the overall job of a winger either. Having a bloke like Grothe making runs out of dummy half works because he's strong and powerful, but Luke Burt isn't the kind of winger who's good at making metres out of dummy half so I think it's best he stays out of making hitups when we need go forward. Burty has plenty of great qualities but making metres in general play is not one of them and if him taking hitups is more of a hinderance than a positive thing.

Eels Dude

Coach

I've always thought when the teams going well, Burts going well and he's over rated, but that was one of the worst EFFORTS i've seen from a seasoned first grader in a long long time. He should be blasted for it. Others didn't play well but we were almost playing with 12.

Ando said it was Burt's call? Are you sure???? If that's the case there's something wrong because those decisions are made by the captain or the coach ONLY. There's no way in hell Burt would have been responsible for making the decision to go for a penalty goal.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
It is his job to get in there and have a run out of dummy half when we're in our own 10m though, every winger does it, while their forwards are still getting back after the oppositions kick. We had plenty of those moments tonight as well, he should've had a few runs by halftime, he must've been hiding, or carrying injury.

I'm not having a dig at him because he has been a reliable winger/fullback over the years. Tonight though he really shoud've had some runs to help the forwards.

Ando said it was Burt's call? Are you sure???? If that's the case there's something wrong because those decisions are made by the captain or the coach ONLY. There's no way in hell Burt would have been responsible for making the decision to go for a penalty goal.
He was responsible though, Ando said it was Burt's decision, he thought he would make it. I think he was just trying to make up for missing the other kick, his ego took over his brain. I didn't think he'd get it and actually thought we were stuffed as soon as I saw him lining it up.

It normally would be the captains decision, but if Burt tells him he can kick it, the captain will hand him the ball. I would have no problems with it if it was closer but it was over 40m away and not in the middle, there was little chance of him kicking it, and he was going to struggle to kick it dead.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
It is his job to get in there and have a run out of dummy half when we're in our own 10m though, every winger does it, while their forwards are still getting back after the oppositions kick. We had plenty of those moments tonight as well, he should've had a few runs by halftime, he must've been hiding, or carrying injury.

I'm not having a dig at him because he has been a reliable winger/fullback over the years. Tonight though he really shoud've had some runs to help the forwards.

Any run Luke Burt would have made in tonight's conditions would have been pointless. Due to the wet conditions he'd have run 3 metres forward but then get slammed 5 metres backwards due to the slipperiness of the surface and his size. How does that help the side???? In the conditions like tonight he'd be better off staying out of it completely and letting the bigger stronger players make the metres out of dummy half. Luke Burt's a very smart footballer, he probably avoided hitting up the ball because he knew he was going to get owned if he did.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
lol, so you think every time it rains that Burt sits back and doesn't run it, just in case he gets forced back?
That is ridiculous, go and check all our wet weather games in recent times, he'd still be running it out, it's his job. All wingers do it, rain, hail or shine.

I reckon he was carrying an injury.

Eels Dude

Coach

He was responsible though, Ando said it was Burt's decision, he thought he would make it. I think he was just trying to make up for missing the other kick, his ego took over his brain. I didn't think he'd get it and actually thought we were stuffed as soon as I saw him lining it up.

It normally would be the captains decision, but if Burt tells him he can kick it, the captain will hand him the ball. I would have no problems with it if it was closer but it was over 40m away and not in the middle, there was little chance of him kicking it, and he was going to struggle to kick it dead.

Overall it's the captain's decision though and the captain takes responsiblity. If Luke Burt was asked did he think he could kick it and he replied "Yes" then that doesn't make him responsible. Of course he's going to say he can kick it. The final call comes down to the captain and if Caylo or Hindy didn't think there was much chance of him kicking it they should have overruled him. That's their job. That's their responsibility that comes with the captaincy. You just can't palm off the decision and say "oh well he said he could kick it so we let him and it's fault". That's just poor leadership.

Eels Dude

Coach
lol, so you think every time it rains that Burt sits back and doesn't run it, just in case he gets forced back?
That is ridiculous, go and check all our wet weather games in recent times, he'd still be running it out, it's his job. All wingers do it, rain, hail or shine.

I reckon he was carrying an injury.

No, I'm saying what's the point in Burt running the ball from dummy half if he's going to get backslammed 5 metres every time he does, meaning we lose metres every time he makes a hitup instead of gaining metres? Do you get it?

When you play wet weather footy you need big forwards with strong leg drive to run the ball up. A Luke Burt run from dummy half is just a waste of a play in a set of six. It's not "in case" he gets forced back... he will get forced back every time as soon as he succumbs to a tackle, as the defence will easily slide him back 5 metres each time due to the slippery grass.

Last edited:

Durantula35

Juniors
No, I'm saying what's the point in Burt running the ball from dummy half if he's going to get backslammed 5 metres every time he does, meaning we lose metres every time he makes a hitup instead of gaining metres? Do you get it?

When you play wet weather footy you need big forwards with strong leg drive to run the ball up. A Luke Burt run from dummy half is just a waste of a play in a set of six. It's not "in case" he gets forced back... he will get forced back every time as soon as he succumbs to a tackle, as the defence will easily slide him back 5 metres each time due to the slippery grass.

So you're agreeing with me? it was basically 12 v 13? Any 1st grade footballer who's best off not getting involved shouldn't be in the team. I'm sure Inu would've loved to have had a run.
Basically, if you wanna do nothing in a half of football, and have 5 runs for 28m when it was all hands on deck , why even show up.
I'm not one to be getting stuck into players for bad performances, errors, brain explosions...whatever, it happens. But when a bloke flat out doesn't have a go i'll single him out. Luke Burt did not have a dig at all tonight, which is dissapointing because he's been a reliable performer for a long time. Not having one involvment in a whole half of football, in which we had a bloke in the sin bin for 10 mins of it especially, is dead set embarassing.

Eels Dude

Coach
So you're agreeing with me? it was basically 12 v 13? Any 1st grade footballer who's best off not getting involved shouldn't be in the team. I'm sure Inu would've loved to have had a run.
Basically, if you wanna do nothing in a half of football, and have 5 runs for 28m when it was all hands on deck , why even show up.
I'm not one to be getting stuck into players for bad performances, errors, brain explosions...whatever, it happens. But when a bloke flat out doesn't have a go i'll single him out. Luke Burt did not have a dig at all tonight, which is dissapointing because he's been a reliable performer for a long time. Not having one involvment in a whole half of football, in which we had a bloke in the sin bin for 10 mins of it especially, is dead set embarassing.

No I'm not agreeing with you at all. You're completely missing my point. Criticizing Luke Burt for not making hitups in wet weather football is like criticizing Nathan Hindmarsh for not throwing cutout passes or kicking 40/20s. It's not Burt's role in the side to do stuff like that, and if he does it's more of hinderance than an advantage. Luke Burt knows his limits as a player and he knows that he's going to have no affect making one out hit ups so obviously stays out of it alltogether. If it were Eric Grothe you'd have a good point, but Burt making 15 runs a game and getting backslammed 10 metres every time, which is what would happen, just increases our chances of losing. What team player wants that????

SDM

First Grade
Ahh the memories, haven't had a good old Burt to Wenty thread for ages.

strider

Post Whore

Ando said (and I roughly quote) "he thought he could kick it, so he had a go" ..... I don't know if that implies it was his call totally or not - he may have raced in as a senior player and said i want to have the kick - or he may have been asked if he could kick it and someone else decided ..... whoever decided made a sh*t decision

Ondafly

Juniors
What would have happened if Burt had landed the kick?

It was a grinding game in which points were hard to come by and Burt has been kicking well this year. Had Burt landed the kick, well, it's safe to say we would not have lost 4-6.

Given the circumstance of the game I don't think there is a team in the NRL that has a good goal kicker in their ranks that would not have elected to take that shot.

Alas, you win some you lose some.

sarahk

Juniors
Exactly. He can't be held responsible. He took a shot at it and tried. At the end of the day goalkicking was the least of our problem. The fact that we were in their half so much and got 4 points out of it was our main problem. I've never seen more 5th tackle flops in one game ( from both sides). We're so lucky that they were just as bad as us if not worse. Had that been another team it would have been an AFL score with us on zero.

parra pete

Referee
Put him into half back ----or back to Wenty and bring in Inu..He is much more fun to put sh*t on than Burt...:crazy:

strider

Post Whore
What would have happened if Burt had landed the kick?

It was a grinding game in which points were hard to come by and Burt has been kicking well this year. Had Burt landed the kick, well, it's safe to say we would not have lost 4-6.

Given the circumstance of the game I don't think there is a team in the NRL that has a good goal kicker in their ranks that would not have elected to take that shot.

Alas, you win some you lose some.
it was 43m out, off to one side - thats a kick most teams don't take in dry conditions these days ... with soggy ground he was never going to get enough on it to get it dead, probably did well kicking it as far as he did .... we needed to keep it down their end and force a repeat set - not hand it back to them .... dumb decision whoever made it