What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Burt

Eels Dude

Coach
Liar liar pants on fire!

:lol: ;-)

I haven't given him credit this year and in the off season but I did during the NRL season last year when he actually did defend solidly at times often making 25 tackles plus a week with only a few missed... This year unfortunately his defence has been quite woeful in defence though which isn't good when he offers little in attack.

The Colonel

Immortal
The whole teams defence has been woeful. You used to be able to count on one hand the tackles that Hindy missed in a season. I think I'll have to take off my socks soon.

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
Morts has missed like 30 tackles in the past few weeks. I gave him credit for his defensive efforts last year but now that's he's shwon he cannot defend in first grade what's the point in having him in the side? He doesn't offer anything else.

Agree totally re his defence. The poor bloke has been'isolated' badly and his team has not backed him up by sliding enough..... Reminds me of jason taylor vs i think it was steve simpson in the 2001 gf and we all know that ended in tears.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but by putting him so wide in defence, instead of hiding him, you are increasing his chances of being isolated one on one with a wide running back rower or centre (ben creagh must be licking his lips).

I'd support the kid having a stint in black and white..... I think with a hayne or burt at 6 robson might actually go ok.

Eels Dude

Coach
I might be barking up the wrong tree here but by putting him so wide in defence, instead of hiding him, you are increasing his chances of being isolated one on one with a wide running back rower or centre (ben creagh must be licking his lips).

Exactly. Greg Bird trampled today because he was defending on the edges and every time Bird was given the ball he ran directly at Morts and he couldn't handle him one on one and missed tackles and second pashe play in attack resulted from that. You've either got to have him defend in the middle but have a backrower defending inside of him like a lot of clubs do with their smaller halves, but Kearney's defensive strategy in regards to Morts the last few weeks just is not working.

Twittle

Juniors
Remember when he took over for McKinnon when he was injured for a few weeks. Smithy assured McKinnon the #1 jersey would be his again when he returned from injury. But Burt's form made it impossible to shift him from fullback.

Could history repeat itself?

Parra Pride

Coach
Remember when he took over for McKinnon when he was injured for a few weeks. Smithy assured McKinnon the #1 jersey would be his again when he returned from injury. But Burt's form made it impossible to shift him from fullback.

You're really comparing McKinnon to Hayne? That's like comparing Robson to Sterlo.....

Twittle

Juniors
You're really comparing McKinnon to Hayne? That's like comparing Robson to Sterlo.....

1. When did I compare McKinnon to Hayne.

2.At the time McKinnon was playing at his best going into injury. Anyone who was following the eels during McKinnon's time will tell you at his best, he was one of the better fullbacks in the game.

3. Hayne has been going like busters lately. His kick returns are woeful, and his head seems to be somewhere else.

4. On Burt's performance today is put against all of Hayne's this year, Burt's outshines Hayne by miles

Eels Dude

Coach

I can't recall that actually. I remember Burt starting the 2004 season at number 1 then getting injured only for McKinnon to come in and keep Burt out the custodians spot the remainder of the year. But not vice versa.

Bazal

Post Whore
I can't recall that actually. I remember Burt starting the 2004 season at number 1 then getting injured only for McKinnon to come in and keep Burt out the custodians spot the remainder of the year. But not vice versa.

Was the back end of 2006. Burt was on the wing all year, but Wade got injured and Burt took over. Burt played fantastic, Wade finished the season on the bench once he returned.

FWIW, McKinnon at that stage was a better FULLBACK than Hayne is now IMO

Parra Pride

Coach
Was the back end of 2006. Burt was on the wing all year, but Wade got injured and Burt took over. Burt played fantastic, Wade finished the season on the bench once he returned.

FWIW, McKinnon at that stage was a better FULLBACK than Hayne is now IMO

Fullback? Maybe, player? Never.

McKinnon's best days were his first year or so at the Warriors.

Parra Pride

Coach
No, actually he was on fire at parra..... from memory he really hurt his finger one night at parr std.... bone maybe sticking out etc...

I didn't say he wasn't "on fire" at Parra, I'm just of the opinion he played better in his first year or so at the Warriors.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Wade McKinnon was freaking brilliant for us. His one-on-one tackling was as good as I've ever seen, and I distinctly remember him saving a certain try by stripping the ball one-on-one against a much bigger Dragons forward in that game where we got flogged by a Revere Grade Dragons side. Really good fullback.

caylo

Bench
Wade McKinnon was freaking brilliant for us. His one-on-one tackling was as good as I've ever seen, and I distinctly remember him saving a certain try by stripping the ball one-on-one against a much bigger Dragons forward in that game where we got flogged by a Revere Grade Dragons side. Really good fullback.

Yep stripped the ball off Sims and then won a penalty when Sims held him off the ball. He was a great support player and runner of the football but IMO Hayne has done better in his time in the #1 here its just we expect more from him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yep stripped the ball off Sims and then won a penalty when Sims held him off the ball. He was a great support player and runner of the football but IMO Hayne has done better in his time in the #1 here its just we expect more from him.

Hayne has more skill and ability. Probably more pace, too. But McKinnon was a great support player, was a brilliant last line of defence and had very good positioning at the back.

Hayne has all the tools to be a future Immortal. But he needs to focus.

caylo

Bench
Hayne has more skill and ability. Probably more pace, too. But McKinnon was a great support player, was a brilliant last line of defence and had very good positioning at the back.

Hayne has all the tools to be a future Immortal. But he needs to focus.

People forget some of the try savers Hayne has pulled off, in last line of defense I think they were equal and McKinnon only has it over Hayne as a support player but that is because Hayne positions himself more as a playmaker like Lockyer did in the late 90s.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hayne has done better in his time in the #1

See this, this is what gets me. Hayne had a freakish year in 2009 but really hasn't done anything other than that. He is a tremendously talented player, but come on...to say he's been anything other than generally disappointing is wrong IMO.

Wade was the much better performer as a fullback, if we're going to draw a comparison. Hayne gets more free passes than anyone in the game, except maybe Benji

Redback71

First Grade
Ii actually picked him for Man of the match. wonder wonder what he was paying. should have put $$$ om hin lol

eel01s

Bench
1 Burt

6 Hayne
7 Maquire

9 Keats

14 Morts

I know you want to...

I don't think Burt should be at fullback full time either, because of his poor one on one defence and he is not good at taking bombs under pressure (as evidenced yesterday). Wing is his only spot.

Latest posts