What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis Rumour

Fibroman

First Grade
maple_69 said:
You have to feel sorry for Rooney. Stuck outside Franze and Hookey for 05/06 and then had a very promising opening to 07 before injury put him out for the season. This season he has impressed in the trials. Co-inciding with this has been the fall from form of Gower who supplied alot of cross field kicks to Rooney in 03/04. Events have conspired against him. I don't know if Blair is the type of player to put inside him as he doesn't seem to pass as much, but Jennings or Tighe could really ignite Camel.

The role of a rugby league winger has changed a few times over the past 10 years. They've gone from being pure speedsters that only need to catch and run.........to being extra back rowers, now I've got no idea what they are supposed to be. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Rooney's strength was his height and his fleet of foot. He still has his height but he doesn't get quality ball in the air in attack and he has lacked a quality 5/8th or centre insdide him since the departure of Girds and Presto. Personally, I don't think we have anyone that clearly stands out from him at the moment and therefore I believe his experience should earn him his starting spot in the side if fully fit.

All the camel needs to be back in acrtion is for the forwards to get us to 10 or 20 out on the 5th and for a well placed kick to be put through to him and we shall see the roons of 03.

mxlegend99

Referee
So what you're saying is he will never return to 2003 form?

Because our forwards getting us that far rarely happens... and when it does, we won't kick to him. We never take the smart option. :(

mxlegend99 said:
So what you're saying is he will never return to 2003 form?

Because our forwards getting us that far rarely happens... and when it does, we won't kick to him. We never take the smart option. :(

Congratulations you win first prize in the wats roons future have install.

Your prize like roons chances of getting back to 2003 form sweet f*** all.:sarcasm:

Big Mick

Referee
I really feel sorry for Camel...

2005 - Paul Franze
2006 - Lee Hookey
2007 - Luke Lewis/Mark O'Halloran/Bob Blair
2008 - Brad Tighe

Hardly compares to 2003 of Ryan Girdler/Paul Whaitura

I swear we should have chased for Matt Gidley when he was off-contract...

I wouldn't mind getting Willie Tonga from the Dogs you know...him and Rooney had a great combination for Australia where Rooney scored like 5 tries in 3 games...

haha tonga would be great perhaps another amos roberts for us but no real help for roons they both like to score to much.

I think part of roons problems are he comes in field every play and sometimes come the 5th still isnt quite in position for the kick by the time its coming.

I noticed it against the raiders 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th tackles roons seeing the forwards getting nowhere was in field and by the time the kick was leaving sammuts boot roons was just getting to the sideline.

Kilkenny

Coach
We have not seen the best of the two Lukes since 2004 for one reason or another.

For there own sake it may well be in there best interests to move on and re-establish themselves elsewhere where a change of scenery may kick start there careers.

The two Lukes moving on would also facilitate a much needed cleanout, which regardless of how 2008 unfolds, is absolutely imperative.

Smartman

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
I wouldn't mind getting Willie Tonga from the Dogs you know...him and Rooney had a great combination for Australia where Rooney scored like 5 tries in 3 games...

What about a straight swap with Michael Jennings?

Is it true he can leave at the end of this year with an option of staying with the panthers?

mxlegend99

Referee
If we let Michael Jennings go, i wouldn't go to a single Panthers game in 2009. Honestly, he is one of the few things we have going for us right now.

I'd say if he has that in his contract, it's in the clubs favour. Otherwise he would be on the target list of a few teams.

Smartman

Juniors
mxlegend99 said:
If we let Michael Jennings go, i wouldn't go to a single Panthers game in 2009. Honestly, he is one of the few things we have going for us right now.

I'd say if he has that in his contract, it's in the clubs favour. Otherwise he would be on the target list of a few teams.

The management so easily let go of Wallace when they had the chance to keep him for a cheap price.

I believe the stench in the panthers camp between players and the coaching staff is alot bigger than people are letting on which is sad.

Black Majik

Juniors
Smartman said:
The management so easily let go of Wallace when they had the chance to keep him for a cheap price.

I believe the stench in the panthers camp between players and the coaching staff is alot bigger than people are letting on which is sad.

With 4 first grade games under his belt, the asking price wasn't that cheap. Penrith did the right thing then, but it seems hindsight can be a bitch :(

The Rhino

Juniors
Smartman said:
What about a straight swap with Michael Jennings?

Is it true he can leave at the end of this year with an option of staying with the panthers?

Jennings is under contract until the end of 2009!

Caged Panther

First Grade
Black Majik said:
With 4 first grade games under his belt, the asking price wasn't that cheap. Penrith did the right thing then, but it seems hindsight can be a bitch :(

when his been carving up opposition sides consistently over a few seasons then I'll cry. Until then...

mightypanther

Juniors
PENRITH VOW TO PLAY THE BEST TEAM
By Steve Mascord | March 31, 2008 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23456393-5006066,00.html

RELIEVED Penrith officials last night followed up their drought-breaking victory over South Sydney by taking decisive steps to head off another looming controversy - this time over off-contract stars.

The Panthers put a difficult week underpinned by a highly publicised meeting between coach Matthew Elliott and his leadership group behind them by racing to a 22-6 halftime lead at CUA Stadium and hanging on to leave the Rabbitohs winless after three rounds.

Elliott lauded his charges' commitment as they repelled the injury-hit Bunnies, who laid siege to their line for much of the final eight minutes.

But after reassuring Elliott all week that he was safe in his position, Panthers general manager Mick Leary responded to concerns that possible departures Luke Lewis, Luke Rooney, Tony Puletua, Luke Priddis and others might be dumped to reserve grade just as Peter Wallace was last year.

Elliott demoted Brisbane-bound Wallace after he made his intentions known and Lewis late yesterday told The Daily Telegraph he was unsure if he would cop the same treatment should he accept an estimated $300,000 deal with Souths within the next week.

But Panthers general manager Mick Leary issued the following assurance: "We'll certainly be selecting our best side each week.

"We've signed these players for this year. If they are the best players, they'll definitely get picked. Last year we were out of the running for the finals and Matthew wanted to try out a new halves combination. It was different."

Earlier, Lewis - who hopes to return from a hand injury next week said he was "not too sure" if it would be held against him should he sign with Souths. "Matty's a pretty good coach and I'm sure he'd do the right thing," he said.

"Whatever he does, the team is going to have to go with his decisions."

It was the final piece of solidarity on an afternoon which abounded with it at the foot of the mountains. The Panthers began in startling touch, centre Brad Tighe flashing over after lead-up from Priddis, Frank Pritchard and Rooney in the seventh minute.

Only five more minutes had elapsed before second-rower Pritchard's superb ball handed Tighe his second and when a benefit-of-the-double call favoured Panthers five-eighth Maurice Blair in the 22nd, Souths were the proverbial rabbits in the headlights.

Making matters worse were Roy Asotasi's concussion, Michael Greenfield's ribs and Issac Luke's broken hand.

But Greenfield returned in the second half and his kick-and-chase try off the upright in the 58th minute caught referee Tony De Las Heras so much by surprise he asked video referee Chris Ward if the prop had been offside chasing his own kick.

That touchdown narrowed the scoreline to 24-18 in Penrith's favour and Souths managed another try to make a game of it before falling short.

"In the contact areas of running and tackling, Penrith just dominated us in the first half," coach Jason Taylor said. "We've got to get it going and make sure we get some victories."

Elliott said: "The players fought real hard when they needed to fight hard and I'm just over the moon for them. Winning in that style was something we needed to do as a group."

Pritchard, who was outstanding yesterday, said that the two days off that Elliott had offered the players following internal talks had done wonders.

Leary said he wanted a decision on Lewis this week, "so we know what Luke's future is and we know what we have to do to maybe replace him.

"If the offers are so far apart, as I've been led to believe, it's going to be very difficult."

mightypanther

Juniors

Rhino & Teach spoke to Luke Lewis after the game yesteday, and he didn't say that he was going to Souths, but he did say that he was talking to a couple of clubs, and bloody typical.........he said that Penrith had not even attempted to speak to him yet.

Another Wallace situation coming up I wonder ?
Is the club just sitting back listening to media gossip and basing their decisions on that ?

It doesn't come across as very professional........but what's new ???

Another loyal Penrith junior bites the dust without a fight.

mxlegend99

Referee
Personally i'm hoping that Luke Lewis leaves us, and i will be very dissapointed if we match the Souths offer, or go close to doing so. He isn't worth anywhere near that sort of money.

Panther

Juniors
Danny Weidler said weeks ago that Lewis to Souths was a done deal and MG said something similar on radio later.There have been a few other reports too so I think we are wasting time crying over spilt milk.

Munky

Coach
How many here rate Lewis as anything but an excellent winger?

He was good in 03 and 05 on the wing.

Pretty average as a centre or five eighth.

The Tank

Bench
He's rubbish at 5/8. Decent (ish) at centre and excellent at wing. But he's too expensive for a winger. I like him but I wouldn't pay that much for a winger. It'll be tough to see him in another team's jersey though.

mxlegend99

Referee
I wouldn't find it tough to see him in another jersey. Hopefully he gives away as many penalties for that team as he did us last year.

Latest posts