What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lukey V. Wade

Sean7

Juniors
eloquentEEL said:
Burt seemed to do a pretty good job of that last night too

Looking back back over the season stats, there have only been 3 or 4 games where McKinnon hasn't made a linebreak. In at least 3 games he has made 3 line breaks. He averages around 150 metres a game for the season. There has only been one game where he has made less than 100m and in the games where he hasn't made a line break, he has still made over 100m and sometimes over 150m. That's pretty impressive.

I think that 2 good games from Burt has blinded many to fact that McKinnon has been able to show some degree of consistancy over a much longer period and that cannot be discounted.

If Burt does stay at fullback then so be it, but if McKinnon does return, I don't want to see Burt in the centres or on the wing because he gets targetted and targetted successfully more often than not.

Sean7

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
that coming from the president of the B.H.C

you're only as good as your last game

No, I'm the president of the League Unlimited Logical Thought club and the Don't Blow Your Load Before The Job Is Done club (though my girlfriend would probably accuse me of not practicing what I preach).

As far as being as good as your last game goes. That no longer applies after 8 years or so of proving the theory wrong. If it was the case we could just select Origin players based on their previous weeks form. I wouldn't be doing that. Ben Kusto had good games too. It didn't mean he should've been picked again because he had already proved otherwise.

Hellsy

Immortal
jayjayselmes said:
drop wade??? Wake up.

Yes burt has been strong but you dont drop a consistent performer thats just silly.

Yet you fools reckon bring tim smith back after injury if we do make the finals????? Poor form,. off field dramas and poor season form and you guys would bring him back????

Clowns

Why do you have to be such a rude prick?
If you don't like us on LU or want to be part of the discussions/debates like a normal person then go back to the Official Site where you came from, not sure if they like you any better tho.....

I woud have both Luke and Wade in the side, Luke has to be in there somewhere I think..... bit if a dilemma for JT, but apparently Tahu may not be back this week so we could see:
1 Wade
2 Jarryd
3 Benny
4 Burty
5 Guru
13. Odie

caylo

Bench
i would have been at all ends not knowing wot to do last week. last week he scored two good tries, and kicked 5/5 but there where things he didn't do that wade would have, like take on the line a lil more. but this week he made hornby look stupid, similar to what wade did b4 his injury. id say wade has better d' (but burt did make a good tackle this week), burt is better in attack (i.e chasing kicks) and he is good at kicking goals... everything else they are prrety even. sorry, wade in PL

Hurriflatch

Referee
tbh, I think Burt will get in on with his goalkicking

Right now Riddell, Morris and Hayne simply don't have enough form with the boot.

If there was another option in the side who was in form then Wade would get the #1 but goalkcking gets Burt in ahead of McKinnon

Sean7

Juniors
Hellsy said:
Why do you have to be such a rude prick?
If you don't like us on LU or want to be part of the discussions/debates like a normal person then go back to the Official Site where you came from, not sure if they like you any better tho.....

I woud have both Luke and Wade in the side, Luke has to be in there somewhere I think..... bit if a dilemma for JT, but apparently Tahu may not be back this week so we could see:
1 Wade
2 Jarryd
3 Benny
4 Burty
5 Guru
13. Odie

Burt is an awful centre. He has failed time and time again in that position. His defence isn't strong enough and he isn't strong enough in general to attack from that position. Burt isn't big, but I think he actually plays below his weight.

Hellsy

Immortal
This year people have called him a terrible player in wing/centre/fullback... seems to have done alright under JT's coaching at fullback... I'd give him a shot at centre

CrazyEel

Bench
FFS, Burts playing good football at the moment and thoroughly deserves his place, he's been one of our best the last two weeks. Why can't people just be happy that ALL our players are in good form for once and enjoy it while they can instead of deathriding them all the time. :roll:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Sean7 said:
Looking back back over the season stats, there have only been 3 or 4 games where McKinnon hasn't made a linebreak. In at least 3 games he has made 3 line breaks. He averages around 150 metres a game for the season. There has only been one game where he has made less than 100m and in the games where he hasn't made a line break, he has still made over 100m and sometimes over 150m. That's pretty impressive.

I think that 2 good games from Burt has blinded many to fact that McKinnon has been able to show some degree of consistancy over a much longer period and that cannot be discounted.

If Burt does stay at fullback then so be it, but if McKinnon does return, I don't want to see Burt in the centres or on the wing because he gets targetted and targetted successfully more often than not.

well said mate

its fine to be in good form for a game or two when the side is going great guns. Joel Reddy did that as well last year.

In the tougher games, how often has McKinnon been our best player along with Hindy? And Id say there will be tougher games ahead.

Fullback may well be Burts best position, and next year if he is good enough he will cement that.

For mine, for now, Id have McKinnon back no problems.

Though its a real nice problem to have the depth in our backs

Sean7

Juniors
Hellsy said:
This year people have called him a terrible player in wing/centre/fullback... seems to have done alright under JT's coaching at fullback... I'd give him a shot at centre

I've seen nothing to suggest that he will suddenly be good at centre. Just about all his best performances have been at fullback. None have been at centre.

Centre is a very demanding position defensively. It's nice to have a good defender at fullback too, but a fullback rarely makes a tackle unless others have missed them in the first place and if the fullback does make a great tackle it's a bonus. If the fullback misses a tackle, people might be disapointed, but to be honest, you expect them to miss about 50% of the time anyway (except when defending on the line of course).

Sean7

Juniors
CrazyEel said:
FFS, Burts playing good football at the moment and thoroughly deserves his place, he's been one of our best the last two weeks. Why can't people just be happy that ALL our players are in good form for once and enjoy it while they can instead of deathriding them all the time. :roll:

Deathriding? I don't know which thread you're talking about, but it isn't this one.

All I've seen is debate over who should get the fullback spot. It's a fair question too, don't you think?

Stop rolling your eyes and actually read what's being said.

Hellsy

Immortal
I'd still give him a chance... but I'm an optimist.
He hasn't played centre under the guidance of JT

So U would you drop him?

Sean7

Juniors
Hellsy said:
I'd still give him a chance... but I'm an optimist.
He hasn't played centre under the guidance of JT

So U would you drop him?

Not necessarily, his goalkicking is a pretty big bonus, but Wade was playing just as well, if not better.

All eyes are on Burt when he plays well. He gets praise heaped on him like there's no tomorrow after 2 games and suddenly Wade is the guy that has to earn his spot back. If burt's kicking wasn't looking so flash, I wouldn't even hesitate in putting Wade back in. That's something for Taylor to decide though. It's tough. Wade is much more involved than Burt and is probably our top linebreaker. He's also proven to be very safe under the high ball and is a good defender. And he has performed in pressure games, even when his teammates (*cough* or coach *cough*) have been off.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't be throwing Burt into the centres based on being optimistic considering the precarious position we are in. Especially since he has proved he can't handle it in the past.

Hellsy

Immortal
Meh.. I wouldn't mind.

BTW, I always believed Wade should walk back into his Fullback position...

caylo

Bench
i think there is so much burty can offer that wade can't, and vise versa... but without timmy, our kicking game was struggling... burty has helped that, and for that reason and that he converts at ahout 80%, id go with burty

TheParraboy

Staff member
caylo said:
i think there is so much burty can offer that wade can't, and vise versa... but without timmy, our kicking game was struggling...

kicking stuggling without Timmy? :?

I think Morris and Jeremy Smith have been outstanding in that area. Even before Burts two match cameo appearance ;-)

yy_cheng

Coach
I said when we started this roll on and Delaney getting injured, that GK will play a big part but I couldn't think of which GK should be in the team.

If Burt hadn't kick those goals, the scores get a little closer and the opposition gets a sniff. A good GK keeps the opposition's morale down after a try and that's what we've got in Burty.

We are playing a very simple, yet semis type football. Ruck it out to the 40 and boot with good kick chase.

A quick off the line and up and in them defense and when we get close to their 20. We are very dangerous when a player gets tackled within the 10. Riddell can barge over from dummy half, we have Widders and Morris and Jeremy who kicks and 2 great finishers on the wing.

However, I digress....

I am a big Wade fan but for this CURRENT TEAM, Burty for mine and Wade to miss out.

Until Burty stuffs up, Wade should have to wait it out.
With our current defense, Burt has handled the last man defense well because not alot gets through our line.

yy_cheng

Coach
TheParraboy said:
kicking stuggling without Timmy? :?

I think Morris and Jeremy Smith have been outstanding in that area. Even before Burts two match cameo appearance ;-)

You forgot Widders kicking which I think has been awesome !!!

caylo

Bench
yy_cheng said:
You forgot Widders kicking which I think has been awesome !!!
im not talking about a short kicking game... mabey i should have been more specific. our long kicking game, and kicking oof our own half has not been as good with timmy gone. jeremy strugles to get the distance on his kicks, and morris does get distance but not as accurate. timmy kicks get more air,a nd find the grass more often than morris and jeremy, but jeremy and morris bothe have good short kicking games, widders aswell. burt adds that extra option with the boot, and his long kicking game is excellent. id keep him there for that, because it would help us play feild posession footy come finals time