What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Favourite Movie - 2015 Edition

Misanthrope

Staff member
I can almost guarantee it won't be on a daily basis. I've got exams coming up, then I'm in China for two weeks, and then I'm on location in East Africa for a month :lol:

You'll get updates whenever time allows.

Frederick

Staff member
I can almost guarantee it won't be on a daily basis. I've got exams coming up, then I'm in China for two weeks, and then I'm on location in East Africa for a month :lol:

negative.jpg

alien

Referee
And I think they should be be revealed 1 per week.... I look forward to finding out LU's 100 All Time Fave Movies for 2015 in May 2017... with the 2016 Edition to follow in the second half of 2019...

:thumbd:

T.S Quint

Coach

Well, you couldn't do any worse than noyd with his favourite comedies countdown. :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
#100 - #91

=#98 - City of God (2002)

Kicking off our top one hundred is the critically acclaimed Brazilian film about life in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro. Unflinching in its portrayal of a different side of Brazil to the images of football players and bronzed beach babes, it's one of the finest foreign language films out there and received four Academy Award nominations in recognition of this.

=#98 - Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Quentin Tarantino's take on World War II might not have been as well loved as some of his earlier tributes, but its irreverant and history altering portrayal of a group of Jewish soldiers out to get revenge on Nazis was a gory, tongue in cheek look at one of history's darkest chapters.

=#98 - Mad Max (1979)

It seems fitting that the movie that birthed the post apocalyptic genre as it exists today would get some love in the lead up to the fourth installment in the series hitting the big screen.

George Miller's low budget Aussie film about the titular Max and his war with a gang of insane bikers gave birth to two (soon to be three) considerably more stylised films about humanity's darker nature.

#97 - Requiem for a Dream (2000)

If City of God was unflinching, this film was downright confronting. Darren Aronofsky's depiction of addiction and its effects on people doesn't sugar coat, nor does it offer up a happy ending. If anything, it flies in the face of Hollywood convention with one of the most grimly depressing conclusions you can imagine - and that's even with Jennifer Connolly involved in some HLA.

Perhaps best remembered for its bleak imagery and Clint Mansell's haunting soundtrack, it's definitely not a date movie.

=#93 - Napolean Dynamite (2004)

The first out and out comedy to make the list, MTV's film about a socially awkward teen from Idaho has attained cult status due to its off the wall, deadpan characters and the low budget charm with which it illustrates geeky, small town life.

Incidentally, I've had sex in Preston, Idaho - the town where the film was filmed and set. This has no relevance, but is something I'm proud of.

=#93 - Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

The count continues with another comedy, Mel Brooks' lampooning of the recently successful Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves manages to finish ahead of the film that inspired it.

Despite not being particularly well received critically, the film has garnered something of a cult following due largely to Cary Elwes irrepressible charm and sentimental fondness of Mel Brooks' somewhat dated sense of humour.

=#93 - Team America: World Police (2004)

From the twisted minds of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, this all puppet satire of geopolitical relations (particularly US foreign policy, Hollywood activists, North Korea, and everything in between was immediately popular and controversial.

Remembered for its "Ronery" Kim Jong-Il, its graphic marionette sex scene, and that vomiting, it's a worthy inclusion in the list.

=#93 - When Harry Met Sally (1989)

The first (but not the last) romantic comedy to make the cut, When Harry Met Sally remains a well loved and critically acclaimed romantic comedy two decades after its release.

Exploring the question of whether or not men and women can ever truly be friends, the film is still parodied to this day and can be credited with introducing a number of popular relationship concepts to the mainstream.

I believe this is both Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan's last involvement in the countdown, but I could be wrong.

#92 - Wayne's World (1992)

Before he was Austin Powers and Shrek, Mike Myers was in his basement with Dana Carvey filming a TV show hosted by the pair of metal loving losers. Not the first (or last) Saturday Night Live to translate to the big screen, it has been by far the most successful: grossing over $121 million and spawning a less successful sequel.

#91 - Clerks (1994)

Kevin Smith's first film is considerably more sedate than some of his later offerings, but it remains perhaps his most well-loved offering. Made for less than $30,000, the black and white comedy about two clerks (obviously) in a small town video store was a critical and commercial success, putting Smith on the map and spawning popular characters Jay & Silent Bob (Smith).

Viewed today, it s a wonderfully dated yet insightful window into the time period - uncluttered by Hollywood convention.

Last edited:

afinalsin666

First Grade
Good so far, mad max the pick there. Can we get the scores on the next list? Big jumps are always fun to see.

alien

Referee
i know a movie i forgot to vote for. the south park movie. i remember the first time i saw it (was at the cinema). there were parts of the movie where i was laughing so hard, i couldn't open my eyes

Misanthrope

Staff member
i know a movie i forgot to vote for. the south park movie. i remember the first time i saw it (was at the cinema). there were parts of the movie where i was laughing so hard, i couldn't open my eyes

You and everybody else.

Red Bear

Referee
City of God is awesome. Though IB may be higher. Napoleon Dynamite the real stink that has made it. Have had two make it anyway.

Requiem is a pretty good movie with one of the least sexy lesbian scenes of all time. I wanted to run a warm bath after watching that movie.