What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Favourite TV Show - Countdown

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I was thinking more on the lines of Today Tonight or A Current Affair being No. 1.

We could always have The Block, My Kitchen Rules and X Factor filling out the top five.

seaeagle sam

I spent most of last weekend watching Rake and love it.
Also have been watching a lot of The Bridge (Danish and American versions).

Any love on here for those two?

Misanthrope

Staff member
#4 - The Sopranos

Sopranos_titlescreen.png

The show that really ushered in the idea of big budget, serialised television and one that holds up really well to this day - The Sopranos took the Goodfellas and Godfather concept of mafia and fleshed it out with an in depth exploration of the characters who make up these larger than life criminal groups.

James Gandolfini will be forever remembered as Tony Soprano, the fiery tempered mafia don going through a mid-life crisis and trying to hold it all together. With episodes exploring everything from turf wars and assassination attempts to spousal abuse, infidelity, and mental illness, it was a terrifically layered show that has since spawned a pseudo spin-off in the form of Boardwalk Empire.

Apey

Staff member
Just finished watching this for the first time a few weeks ago.

Not sure how I'd split them, but it'd have to be in my top 3 shows. Tony Soprano is probably my all-time favourite TV character.

Apey

Staff member
Breaking Bad probably will be. Simpsons 2nd, South Park 3rd?

tbh I think BB is overrated (in the sense of being the best) but so far all the other top ones are favourites of mine so can't complain.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
BB was a great show but not in the same class as the Wire or Sopranos IMO.

I even preferred the Shield over it as well.

Misanthrope

Staff member
#3 - South Park

download.php

One of the most controversial animated series in history, South Park's 'low budget' looking animation in no way takes away from the program's ability to cut to the heart of current social, political, and cultural trends has meant it has managed to stay relevant long after its crude humour might otherwise have worn thin.

Spawning a movie and a recent (very good) video game, South Park continues to push buttons and boundaries each year as its collection of foul-mouthed, precocious young Colorado boys tackle everything from racism, homophobia, political correctness, and Barbara Streisand.

While many other comedies have 'sold out' and become generic, repetitive jokes in recent years (I'm looking at Family Guy and one of our top two), South Park continues to produce witty satire. It might be less common these days to see a truly great episode, but it remains one of the best at what it does.

Misanthrope

Staff member
#2 - The Simpsons

Simpsons-logo.gif

One of the biggest pop culture phenomenons of the modern television era, The Simpsons is not only television's longest running animation, but also one of its most beloved.

While it could be argued that the shine has well and truly gone off this once great show, its enduring legacy both as a satire of pop culture and as a major piece of culture itself means that it cannot be ignored in any 'greatest' countdown.

While the show did experience something of an Indian summer when it hit the big screen a few years ago, and continues to draw good enough ratings to ensure its continue survival, it is definitely not the powerhouse that it once was.

#1 - Breaking Bad

article-2378084-1AFE8476000005DC-223_306x304.jpg

Perhaps the high emotion surrounding the show's epic conclusion could be blamed for Breaking Bad's landslide win in this countdown, but you cannot discount the fact that it was one of the most cutting, engaging, and emotionally charged shows in modern television history.

Bryan Cranston's Walter White and Aaron Paul's Jesse Pinkman will forever go down as two of television's most fleshed out, fascinating characters and the show's unflinching look at a previously taboo topic made it an instant hit with male and female viewers alike.

Apey

Staff member
Pretty much what was expected.

I love Breaking Bad but it'd probably only just make my top 5. I think the timing helped it a lot here.

The top 7 would probably be the same as my top 7, albeit in a different order.

Thanks for finishing it Mis ;-)

afinalsin666

First Grade
Pretty much what was expected.

I love Breaking Bad but it'd probably only just make my top 5. I think the timing helped it a lot here.

The top 7 would probably be the same as my top 7, albeit in a different order.

Thanks for finishing it Mis ;-)

It probably ranked so high by being in everyone's top five.

I'm still cut Top Gear didn't make it.