What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon can play for Wee Waa

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news854.asp

JAMIE LYON
4 JUNE 2004
The Parramatta National Rugby League Club wishes to advise that Player Jamie Lyon has today signed a supplemental agreement to his playing contract that allows him to play for the Wee Waa Panthers for the remainder of the 2004 season. This agreement will also allow him to play for Wee Waa for the 2005 and 2006 seasons. "Under the agreement, Jamie has the availability to return to the Parramatta Eels at any time should he wish to resume his career in the NRL", Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Denis Fitzgerald said. "The Parramatta Eels will assist the Wee Waa Panthers in expediting a clearance for Jamie that may allow him to play as early as this weekend," Mr Fitzgerald added.

Bad luck Manly.

Eels Dude

Coach
That's more than he deserves. Lyon had better be grateful and remember Parramatta's generosity if he decides to make a return to the NRL in the future.

Unreal V

Juniors
What an empty feeling, given everything I would rather have seen him spend the next 2 years or so on the side line. There is no chance that he will be back and any hint on his part was merely to secure a release. The club stuffed up, they should have made the release conditional that he does return for the 2005 or 2006 season and not given him the choice.

bradeel

Juniors
I am happy to hear this news. I am mad that he walked out on the Eels, but as long as he doesn't return to another NRL club, he should be allowed to play wherever he wants. As some have said in the past, there's a strong selfish argument for allowing him to play for Wee Waa, because at least he can stay a bit fit, keep up his touch with the football, and remember what it was like to win games again. Perhaps that could convince him after a few months to return to the big time.

Having said that, its pretty p*ss weak if he leaves the club in the bad times only to rejoin if things get happy again...

Parraren

Bench
I honestly don't see the point in hanging on in the hope that he'll return (which he probably won't) rather than just bloody well releasing him and moving on. This current scenario means that if he chooses to play for Wee Waa for the next 2 and a half years then we will still have to include his contract value towards our salary cap won't we? If so, it's a very poor business decision.

Redback71

First Grade
maybe but you cant just let him go with the possibilty of him playing against us like souths did with walker. what would the point of a contract be.

plus in the long run if he does not return come 2006 well be cash with heeps to spend in 2006 :( :D

Eelectrica

Referee
I find it hard to believe we would have granted his conditional release without the agreement also freeing up a good chunk of his cap space.
Initially I was against his going to play for Wee Waa, but it has reached the stage where it is obvious he isn't coming back this year, so allowing him to go might get his hunger back.
I'm hopeful that he will get his hunger back to play top level football and this might be one way of doing it.
I'd love to have a conclusive answer to the salary cap question though.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelectrica said:
I find it hard to believe we would have granted his conditional release without the agreement also freeing up a good chunk of his cap space.
Initially I was against his going to play for Wee Waa, but it has reached the stage where it is obvious he isn't coming back this year, so allowing him to go might get his hunger back.
I'm hopeful that he will get his hunger back to play top level football and this might be one way of doing it.
I'd love to have a conclusive answer to the salary cap question though.

I've actually sent the club an email, about that very question, whether I get a reply or not is something else.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I would have thought that his salary only counts towards the cap if he is actually paid, and I believe he is not being paid anymore until he comes back to Parra, thereby freeing up some money under the cap.

Parra is probably looking at someone like Talau to come in on incentive payments. That way, if Jamie comes back and we end up over the cap, the incentive payments count for the following year. (or something like that)

Biscuits

Juniors
With Lyon gaining a releas, that means he wont be a registered NRL player. A reistered NRL player cant play for anyone other than the club he is contracted too. I dont see how a player that isnt registered with the NRL can affect the Salary cap.

Misty Bee

First Grade
There is no way Parra would be paying him any extra. I'd say we just freed up $350 000 for a new backline member -and it would want to be spent on a bloody lot more than Matt Utai!

strider

Post Whore
Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't the NRL stated that Jamie's contract money MUST count against our cap because Jamie is NOT a true free agent?....ie we have to cut him loose totally to free his money from our cap.

Hurriflatch

Referee
If Parramatta use Lyon's contract to hold him from other NRL clubs it will count against the cap.

UNLESS

The Eels legal Eagles have found a way (ie loophole) to screw the Manly Sea Eagles and not have it against the cap.

stuke

Bench
souths copped heaps of criticism when they let walker go on his contract.... at least parra are standing firm and trying hard to make sure this doesn't come back to bite them...

i believe the only way jamie may come back is to play with his mates again. maybe he finds the passion again, maybe he stays in wee waa for the rest of his life. either way good luck to him.

while i'm sure the opposition aren't to keen in facing him he is going to be a massive target for every player he comes up against.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I kinda like it better this way.

although it does hurt Parra under the cap it would be worse if Lyon turned out for another club.

While there are by no means NO good players coming off contract there are not a lot of elite centres. Talau isn't a bad player, but look at it this way

Option 1
Let Lyon play for another NRL team and then sign Talau aswell and a fringe 1st grader or keep 1 more off contract player at Parra (eg Muspratt)

or

KEpp Lyon away from the NRL and sign Talau but need to lose Muspraat aswell

I'd go with option B myself

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've been agonising over this one:

Exactly WHAT is meant by the fact he is sick of big city football?

Constantly being in the spotlight?

As far as I'm concerned, it's simple.

Write a letter to the ARL and NSWRL asking for permission to be excused from further representative duties.

That's the first step.

The next step is even simpler - avoid media, and make it clear they are to stay away from him.

See, I see that there ARE solutions. Thus if he DOESN'T return to us, obviously it wasn't for the reasons mentioned, and I'll be very angry.

Latest posts