What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon quits Manly, signs with Titans

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i understand the mentality of not wanting blokes on the team who dont want to be there but he' s their most influential and arguably their best player. he's been the best centre in the comp for a few years and if he didnt have a pea heart and stuck with rep footy we'd probably be talking about him being one of the bets modern day centres.

whilst he may want to go, you'd think manly would be doing everything to convince him to stay for at least another year which gives them a chance to get a back up for 2014

cherry evans or matai lol?

First attempt .
3871810-3x4-340x453.jpg

Ladmate

Bench
Manly fans love calling Parramatta fans sooks so I don't want to hear them whine at all.

Great move for the Titans. If Sezer develops into a good halfback I see top 8, possibly top 4 for them. Lyon is a rare gamechanger at center, and is more impactful than Jennings IMO.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lyon met Sea Eagles general manager David Perry on Friday morning to discuss the development. However, a source said Lyon was committed to the club.
‘‘He's had a lot of money thrown at him ... but he wants to stay,’’ the source said.
LINK

gronkathon

First Grade
First attempt .
3871810-3x4-340x453.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

If this is true it would be a bitter pill to swallow for Manly but they couls manage. He had a great 2012 but did tend to stifle the halves play on occasion and they have some young, quick guys at the club.

Will be interesting

Diesel

Referee
Wow!!! I thought he would've stayed to finish his career... What's going on at Manly?

Lyon met Sea Eagles general manager David Perry on Friday morning to discuss the development. However, a source said Lyon was committed to the club.
‘‘He's had a lot of money thrown at him ... but he wants to stay,’’ the source said.

Mainly coins from the Parra Stadium concourse.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Thought he'd be on close to 500k/yr at Manly anyway.. or close to it with all other marquee player allowances/Third party deals.

Loudstrat

Coach
Even Jamie Lyon hates Manly
:lol::lol:

Funny how we believe a bloke who has consumed so much grog that he has a part time job as a traffic light.

If true - the ARLC have just created a potental disaster by raising the salary cap now. Suddenly, every club (bar Easts) is a sh*tload under the cap, and in light of how fragile contracts can be (aka Hasler and Jennings), we could be in for a lot of contracts breaking in the next 6 weeks.

As for Lyon, wherever he plays, he will always be.....

Judas.JPG

Ladmate

Bench
Have you read the replies in this thread from Manly fans? That comment would suggest you haven't.

Believe me I don't hate Manly fans or anything. But when Parramatta brought up Lyon ditching them many Manly fans just laughed at them and said move on. What I was saying is that it would be hypocritical for Manly fans to do what the Parramatta fans were doing.

firechild

First Grade
Believe me I don't hate Manly fans or anything. But when Parramatta brought up Lyon ditching them many Manly fans just laughed at them and said move on. What I was saying is that it would be hypocritical for Manly fans to do what the Parramatta fans were doing.

And as I said, Manly fans haven't whinged. The general view seems to be as unfortunate as it would be, Lyon has done fantastic things for the club and we wish him well.

Loudstrat

Coach
Looks like bullsh*t anyway. Rothfield probably fell of his bar stool at Northies and vomited halfway through submitting this story

From a CREDIBLE source - the SMH:

The Gold Coast Titans have made an audacious attempt to poach Manly captain Jamie Lyon.
The Titans are desperate to add a strike centre to their line-up after releasing Beau Champion and missing out on Michael Jennings who signed with Roosters on Tuesday.
The Titans have tabled a long-term deal for the premiership-winning centre, who could command up to $500,000 per annum.
‘‘He's had a lot of money thrown at him ... but he wants to stay,’’ the source said

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...kipper-lyon-20130118-2cxkx.html#ixzz2II1cirX3

Lambretta

First Grade
Genuine question - if Lyon asks for a release and Manly say no, does Lyon have any options other than playing for Manly, sitting out the season having a sook or running off to the Country and playing for no one at all?

I know Lyon has done that before, but at his age now if Manly say no the most likely outcome is that he plays for Manly in 2013 surely?

If so, that means the Tits would have to wait another year and offer him a 4 year contract meaning he'd be 36 when he finishes that. If the Gold Coast cant get him now, they'll probably only offer him 3 more years from 2014.

Shipsyeagles

Juniors
Upset....YES.......

But in reality he has achieved what he can at Manly 2 Premierships, plenty of finals games and he aint gertting any younger..

Sad to see him go.... but had to happen one day..