What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon set to return

Hurriflatch

Referee
Meanwhile, former Test centre Jamie Lyon has told Parramatta he won't be returning to the NRL next season, a decision that's paved the way for the Eels to make a massive offer to Newcastle Test centre Timana Tahu.

It's understood Tahu is ready to turn his back on the Knights and accept a $400,000 per season deal with the Eels, making him one of the highest paid players in the game.

Lyon's decision to continue playing in Wee Waa - the NSW country town where he was discovered by Parramatta - has created plenty of space under the Eels' salary cap in 2005.

Lyon's manager Allan Gainey confirmed Parramatta had requested Lyon to give the club an answer on his future by last week.

"He had to let them know by June 30 whether he wanted to come back next year," Gainey said.

Gainey said Lyon had told the Eels he would be staying in Wee Waa.

"That was the way it was going to go all the time," Gainey said.

"He doesn't say much. He's just playing footy, pig shooting and doing what he always does."

© 2004 AAP
Brought to you by

From SMH

Kinda kills your word mate

Hurriflatch

Referee
Lyon may return
July 8, 2004

FORMER Parramatta Test centre Jamie Lyon has for the first time signalled a possible return to the NRL next season despite admitting he is loving every minute of his stint back in country football.

Lyon has single-handedly turned the Wee Waa Panthers into the most talked-about club in the bush since returning to his home town after his much-publicised split with the Eels.

And he has done it without purposely chasing any of the limelight or fanfare for himself.

The 22-year-old star has predictably been an instant hit in the Group 4 competition after he was reluctantly granted a release more than a month ago.

Since resuming his playing career, the Panthers have not tasted defeat in five matches with Lyon at five-eighth.

Over that period, he has scored an astonishing 120 points with seven tries and 46 goals for an average haul of 24 points a game.

A fortnight ago against Narrabri, Lyon contributed 46 points with a hat-trick of tries and 17 goals from 19 attempts in the Panthers' 110-4 win.

"Mate I am loving it - probably even a bit more than I thought I would," Lyon said last night.

"I love being back out here. The footy has been good and we have been winning a few games."

Asked whether he still had the desire to play at the top level back in Sydney, Lyon said: "Maybe next year, I don't really know.

"I haven't really been watching too many games. But I still think I wouldn't mind giving it another go down there.

"Whether it is back at Parra or somewhere else I don't know. I'd have to get a full release [from the Eels] to play somewhere else.

"It all comes down to how we [the Panthers] go at the end of the year and how I'm feeling at the time.

"I haven't really talked about it with anyone yet."

Wee Waa captain-coach Matt Hogan has no doubts Lyon would pick up where he left off in Sydney if he eventually went back.

"It is a privilege to play alongside him," Hogan said. "All the boys think the same way. The thing with Lyonsy is he is not a selfish player. He never overplays his hand.

"I've got him at five-eighth and he has set up a lot more tries than he has scored himself. Blokes just running off his passes - stuff like that.

"And he has been banging the goals over from everywhere. Parramatta mustn't have known he could kick."

But Lyon's on-field impact is only half the story according to Group 4 secretary Ross Hamilton.

Hamilton says there is a real buzz around the Group with him back playing locally.

"He is creating enormous interest wherever he goes," Hamilton said.

"People just want to see him play.

"A couple of weeks ago when they played Norths in Tamworth, they had a crowd there which was on par with last season's major semi-final.

"And they tell me in Moree last Sunday it was the biggest crowd they have had there for many years.

"He has also been a big hit with all the kids just by signing autographs and taking the time to have a chat to them.

"He is a real talking point everywhere - that's for sure."

The Daily Telegraph

PJ Marshal

Coach
Well he doesnt seem too keen that it will be Parra he returns too, "Maybe Parra" or "Somewhere Else, id have to get a release to play somewhere else" doesnt give me confidence

Who knows really, but if he did and we still had room for him under the cap, imagine this backline-
1. McKinnon
2. Tahu
3. Lyon
4. Vaealiki
5. Grothe
6, Morris
7. Witt

Not a bad backline there and then put in these forwards-
8. Vella
9. Riddell
10. Cannings
11. Hindmarsh
12. Cayless
13. O'Dwyer
and a bench like this-
14. Stapleton
15. Peek
16. Wagon
17. Widders

Not a bag side IMO.

half

Coach
i didn't think we had a bad side this year, but we still found a way to be completely crap. lol *sigh*

Unreal V

Juniors
If Lyon does signal his return does that mean that Parramatta either has to accept him into the fold or give him an unconditional release? If we have already maxed the salry cap with the possible 4 new signings we may just have to release him if he takes up his option to return.

If thats the case then he (Lyon) is one smart cookie to agree to terms for a conditional release to play for Wee Waa. If he wants to play for another NRL team (Manly) then all he has to do is wait for Parramatta to reach its cap limit and then say I want in guys. the reply would have to be sorry mate can't fit you in under the cap we therefore have to release you.

If he genuinely wanted to come back he would have announced his intentions before the signing of any big names.

Riddell may have the nickname of Pig but Lyon is the real pig and a smart one at that.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
According to the first article Parra told him that he must tell them before June 30th. They probably got something in writting.

Eelectrica

Referee
Since we havevn't given him a full release, wouldn't we still be paying him some agreed amount? Could be $50k for example to keep him on the books.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Well when WAlker signed with the Roosters after leaving Souths in 2002 he was piad a very small amount that year from the Roosters then in 2003 he was paid a lot more.

If both parties agree, Parra could work the same deal

True EEL

Bench
it is possible....there are certain reports floating around about such a possibility

perhaps the reports of who we are signing may be making him change his mind

and if he did come back, i for one would welcome him back with open arms, you can't knock back talent like that............

The Colonel

Immortal
Wouldn't knock back his talent.......... maybe give him a good swift kick in the rear but won't knock his talent.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Even if we are maxed out on the salary cap we don't HAVE to release him!

If he decides to come back then we would need to clear his salary space under the cap - so we'd release someone (or someones) else so that he could play) - Vella is on big bucks and Wagon too - cut those guys if he wants to come back!!!