What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyon to Penrith not Manly

JJ

Immortal
Big Mick said:
Penrith has to have money left. It just has too:

Ryan Girdler
Amos Roberts
Paul Whaitura
Martin Lang
Luke Harlen
Richard Fa'aoso
amongst others.

Plus Scott Sattler, Chris Hicks, Shane Elford and Steve Turner last year

We must have money left somewhere.

We made offers to Fatz and Mossy, that were larger than their original, so why can't we pool those together to get Lyon.

Penrith has the money under the cap, its just whether they want to use it. I said, if you can get Jamie Lyon....USE IT!

They obviously have some money. And, it seems that for Jamie Lyon money isn't everything. Penrith would enable him to escape the city somewhat, so I guess they'd be as good a chance as anyone. But if they have to pay him the money that he was on at Parra then they'll struggle. But he's be an ideal replacement for Ryan Girdler (what a shame he's retiring, he goes well for an ugly bugger!)

Parra_Boy

Juniors
So he doesn't like city life yet he wants to play for Manly? Have fun in your traffic jams to training Killer.

Fibroman

First Grade
Maybe Penrith need to stock up on brown paper bags like the Roosters did a few years ago, to ensure they can fit Lyon under the cap????

MEE

Juniors
Fitzy you bitter and twisted fool.

Jamie could escape city life while living on the northern beaches. Terrey Hills, Duffy's Forest etc are all rural yet only 15-20 mins from Brookvale.

Caged Panther

First Grade
Penrith saying they aren't interested in Lyon because his an australian representative and would demand a price above what they could afford under the salary cap is silly.

First of all the fact that Lyon walked out on a huge salary at the eels indicates money isn't Lyon's motivating factor. Secondly penrith obviously have some money left under the cap. Even though the club have upgraded the contract of many players they also made offers to both Whatuira and Roberts that we're rejected. Combined these factors suggest penrith may be able to squeeze Lyon under their cap.

For mine the statement we're mot interested in Lyon is an indication of an under preforming "acting CEO" or a smokescreen.

Grantwhy

Juniors
don't forget that with a situation like this, if the player's new club is paying him less than his existing contract with his previous club, then the previous club has to pick up the difference.

ie: if Lyon is contracted to Parramatta for $300,000

and

his new club can only afford to pay him $200,000

then Parramatta will be paying $100,000 while he plays elsewhere (untill Lyon's contract with Parra was due to run out).

There are already players in the NRL in this situation (and in one case 2 different clubs are paying for a player now at a 3rd club :p)

What i don't know is, how is the situation view under the Salary Cap?

Would it be:

a) $300,000 from the Salary Cap for his new club?
b) $200,000 from the Salary Cap for his new club?
c) $200,000 from the Salary Cap for his new club and $100,000 from the Salary Cap for Parramatta?
d) We all live in a yellow submarine

you still have 3 lifelines left.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Just so you know i'm sure that even Jamie Lyon won't be expecting more than $50,000 and i'm sure that Penrith have some money lying around. If he comes to Penrith it will be because he wants to not for the money, so money is not an issue. i mean every club has a small portion of their cap left every year so that if this case occurs. Look at Brisbane, Rossters, just to name a few. Chris Walker Souths-Roosters, Darren Smith Retirement-Brisbane. So money will not be an issue!!

As for maly, I could not stand him going to Manly, they are my second worst team!!

Briza

Juniors
Aug 04 - Penrith is not in the market for Parramatta centre Jamie Lyon, acting Chief Executive Michael Leary said this morning.

He was responding to media reports that Parramatta had agreed to release Lyon from his contract on the condition that he join the Panthers and no other NRL club.

Lyon walked out on Parramatta in March and has been playing – with the Eels’ permission – for the Wee Waa Panthers in Group 4 of the NSW Country Rugby League.

Admitting that an approach had been made to Penrith by a person representing Lyon, Mick said: “Jamie is an Australian representative player and we could not afford him under the salary cap.

“If we had that kind of money available under the cap we would have been able to retain players of the calibre of Amos Roberts and Paul Whatuira."

from panthers.com.au

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
If Lyon has a desire to play for Panthers, why won't fitzgerald allow Manly to even speak to him, seeing that he want's to go to Panthers and not Sea Eagles? :|

Caged Panther

First Grade
it should be noted though that since that statement was released by penrith this morning their media manager has made a distinction between not in the market for and not interested his exact words were as follows

It's obvious that some of you have not read what was reported under LATEST NEWS.

What it says - as did our media release - is that we are "not in the market for him." It did not say that we were not interested

bartman

Immortal
Mayor_Quimby said:
If Lyon has a desire to play for Panthers, why won't fitzgerald allow Manly to even speak to him, seeing that he want's to go to Panthers and not Sea Eagles? :|

Bacause of anti-tampering laws - he's under contract until end 2006. It's not up to Fitzgerald to screen who talks to Jamie or his management. It is up to Fitzgerald to decide under what terms (if any) Jamie is offered a release from his current contract.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
bartman said:
Mayor_Quimby said:

Bacause of anti-tampering laws - he's under contract until end 2006. It's not up to Fitzgerald to screen who talks to Jamie or his management. It is up to Fitzgerald to decide under what terms (if any) Jamie is offered a release from his current contract.

but surely, Parramatta could let manly talk to Lyon just like they are letting the Panthers.......if they aren't worried about him going to Manly then why not? instead of all this stupid girl's blouse antic's from Fitzgerald? :|

Parramatta dont have to do ANYTHING if they dont want to.

They can let Lyons play in bloody Wee Waa for the remainder of his contract if they feel like it.

fish eel

Immortal
but surely, Parramatta could let manly talk to Lyon just like they are letting the Panthers.......if they aren't worried about him going to Manly then why not? instead of all this stupid girl's blouse antic's from Fitzgerald?

we dont have to do anything

he is legally bound to us until his contract runs out.

And there is one safe bet, he aint going anywhere near manly unless his wants to sit on his bum and not play until 07

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
i didn't say Parramatta HAD to do ANYTHING! Feel free to find somewhere, where i stated that Parra HAD to let him talk to Manly..... :roll:

fish eel

Immortal
you mightn't have said it......but that seems to be the view emanating from your club

Latest posts