What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lyons Released?

Foz

Bench
So he can play with Wee Wa?
Did I hear that right because channel 10 said Parra said no.
NBN news.

stoof

Juniors
i heard it wasnt a release as such but he is allowed to play for wee waa but i think thats it... cant go off to another NRL club... well thats what i understood from what i heard

Special K

Coach
You'd think Parra would be able to fine the bloke for not turning up to training etc..

I think he should be able to play for Wee Waa but it would be so slack if he jumped to Manly.

Southernsaint

Staff member
If he's quit Parra on the basis that he's "sick of City life" but then buggers off to Manly, he'll lose the respect of a lot of football fans.

Cheers,
Ben S.

t-ba

Post Whore
Southernsaint said:
If he's quit Parra on the basis that he's "sick of City life" but then buggers off to Manly, he'll lose the respect of a lot of football fans.

Cheers,
Ben S.

I think the damage is done. But yeah, it reeks of him throwing a tanty about Brian Smith and Hiding behind the simple life...

tHe_MaC

Juniors
Hulka said:
You'd think Parra would be able to fine the bloke for not turning up to training etc..

I think he should be able to play for Wee Waa but it would be so slack if he jumped to Manly.

They said they would give him time off, so they can't fine him for not being there when they said it was ok for them not to be there.

nqboy

First Grade
Rabbits mentioned "breaking news" on the footy tonight that Lyons had been cleared to play for Wee Waa but didn't expand on it.

MEE

Juniors
Cliff Lyons plays A Grade for the Narraweena Hawks in the strong Manly-Warringah competition.

eels_fan

First Grade
In todays SMH it said that Parra's lawyers had drawn up some type of contact/agreement that would put in place if Jamie continues to refuse for Parra. I believe the contract gives lyon permission to play specifically for the Wee Waa Panthers, and no other rugby league team in any competition whatsoever. I also believe there will be something in there about him paying back the $140,000 he had already been payed this year, and him losing all salary until such a time that he returns the the club.

Whilst i dont know if it is part of the contract...if i was in charge of Parra, i'd have it in this new agreement, that, seeming Jamie stil has 3 years left contracted to the eels, he cannot ever play for another NRL team, until he has played a further 3 seasons for Parramatta, no matter what year it is of if his initial contract til end of 2006 is over. Eg. He cant play for Wee Waa til 2006 and then go play for Manly in 2007...he has to play 3 seasons with us before he can leave.

Disco

Bench
On 2UE today John Gibbs spoke to Ian Shubert and he said Jamie Lyon will come under Parramatta's salary cap if they use his contract to prevent him playing in the NRL.

Parramatta would be sacrificing approx. $250.000 for 2 seasons of there salary cap if they did not release him.

Eels Dude

Coach
eels_fan said:
Whilst i dont know if it is part of the contract...if i was in charge of Parra, i'd have it in this new agreement, that, seeming Jamie stil has 3 years left contracted to the eels, he cannot ever play for another NRL team, until he has played a further 3 seasons for Parramatta, no matter what year it is of if his initial contract til end of 2006 is over. Eg. He cant play for Wee Waa til 2006 and then go play for Manly in 2007...he has to play 3 seasons with us before he can leave.

I was thinking of that a while back, it would probably be the ideal situation. He can sit out this season if he likes, but his 3 year deal will recommence when he is ready to return to rugby league. I can't see that being enforceable though, it would be a restraint of trade.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Disco said:
On 2UE today John Gibbs spoke to Ian Shubert and he said Jamie Lyon will come under Parramatta's salary cap if they use his contract to prevent him playing in the NRL.

He can come play for Parramatta. They aren't stopping him playing in the NRL.

Not too hard to understand that now, is it?

Eels Dude

Coach
Disco said:

Parramatta would be sacrificing approx. $250.000 for 2 seasons of there salary cap if they did not release him.

That doesn't seem fair, it's a lose/ lose situation for the club. I think that must be some way around it. Like if he was to return to Parramatta then it would be on a reduced and incentive based contract.