What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macdougalls to remain?

keeney

First Grade
Luke MacDougall desperate to stay with Knights

BY ROBERT DILLON
4/06/2009 4:00:00 AM
LUKE MacDougall said yesterday that he was playing for his career and volunteered to take a pay cut if it would allow him to stay with the Newcastle Knights next season.MacDougall has not played in Newcastle's NRL team for almost two years after rupturing the triceps ligament in his right arm in his second game for the Knights and aggravating the injury last season.
After two triceps reconstructions, the speedy utility back returned to action last weekend for feeder club Lakes United and scored two tries in the 30-14 loss to Cessnock.
Off contract at season's end, MacDougall admitted yesterday he had reached a crucial juncture in his career.
"I think the next month or so will determine my future," MacDougall said yesterday.
"After such a long run of injuries, I have to re-establish myself.
"So it is vital. But I think the biggest step is behind me, which was all the medical issues . . . the next part is putting consistent performances together to show that I've still got good footy in me."
Knights coach Brian Smith said it was hard to imagine Newcastle re-signing the youngest MacDougall brother unless he took a significant drop in wages.
"If he wanted to play at the right numbers, well you'd always look at that," Smith said. "But he'd be a player on a reasonably high-value contract, so . . . I think it would be unlikely we'd be able to afford him at anything like what he's been on."
MacDougall indicated he would not be averse to such a prospect, given his time on the sidelines.
"I think everyone who comes to Newcastle and spends a bit of time here is willing to do whatever it takes to stay here, because it's such a great place to live and the people are so great," MacDougall said.
"I think I'd be the same as most people who come here and be willing to make a few concessions to stay."
Meanwhile, Smith has clarified a report on the NRL's website that suggested Newcastle were set to offload both Luke and Adam MacDougall at season's end.
Smith was quoted on Tuesday as saying: "The MacDougalls will both finish up with us this year and we'll probably lose one or two more, but hopefully not too many."
Smith said yesterday there had been a misunderstanding with the journalist who wrote the story.
Adam MacDougall is contracted for 2010 and said yesterday he intended to play on next year.

The Herald.

perverse

Referee
i'd keep luke around if it was for match payments or minimum wage. it's only the fact that he's sucking up a chuck of cap that pisses me off about his current situation.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Either way it doesn't bother me with L Macdougall. If he leaves then so be it, if he stays it will be on stuff all money and he has got plenty of ability. For me it will come down to how lulia goes. If he starts carving up, then macdougall can leave. If lulia doesn't perform, then cut him loose and sign macdougall.

macavity

Referee
L Doogs at peak form is our best outside back.

If he is fit I am prepared to keep him for the right coin.

Spike

First Grade
I'd rather cut my losses with them and focus on Mata'utia or purchase a less injury prone outside back to replace them.

CJG 182

Juniors
Lol so now you're comparing L Doogs to his brother in his prime? No one ever said that, they said at the club at the moment.

"so you're saying he's better than Uate will be in.. 4 years?!" :sarcasm:

Rolla

Juniors
Perhaps i misunderstood but mac said "at his peak" so wouldnt we be talking about L doogs at another time in the past also? in his prime?or are you suggesting he is at his peak now? like i said i may of misunderstood.

CJG 182

Juniors
I think the line of thinking is he can get back to his peak. And that it is not past him. He showed good form in his first game in two years the other night in the local league.

Luke at full fitness has, speed, strength, aggression, a strong jump, good under the high ball, and good positionally. It's just the step of getting him back to full flight.

Rolla

Juniors
I think the line of thinking is he can get back to his peak. And that it is not past him. He showed good form in his first game in two years the other night in the local league.

Luke at full fitness has, speed, strength, aggression, a strong jump, good under the high ball, and good positionally. It's just the step of getting him back to full flight.

I hope so... i remember in an article when doogs lined up against luke him saying that basically L Doogs has it over him in every aspect of the game so he will need to use experience etc etc. Definitely worth keeping at a large pay cut. so long as it doesnt cost us coop at the end of 2010

Hanscholo

Bench
Im done with the Macdougalls. The era of tampon players in Newcastle has passed, we have moved on, i suggest they do too. I have nothing against either of them, adam has done some outstanding things. However he has also done some rotten things, like taking steroids and having huge inury outages one of which he was fit several weeks prior and didnt bother to notify the knights...That being said, i guess that was partly our fault for being so unprofessional, but that was the reason we showed him the door last time. We have too much 3/4 line talent to worry about keeping a 35 year old injury prone guy and a kid who has never been near any form that would suggest he was worth keeping around.

knights_maniac

Juniors
Im done with the Macdougalls. The era of tampon players in Newcastle has passed, we have moved on, i suggest they do too. I have nothing against either of them, adam has done some outstanding things. However he has also done some rotten things, like taking steroids and having huge inury outages one of which he was fit several weeks prior and didnt bother to notify the knights...That being said, i guess that was partly our fault for being so unprofessional, but that was the reason we showed him the door last time. We have too much 3/4 line talent to worry about keeping a 35 year old injury prone guy and a kid who has never been near any form that would suggest he was worth keeping around.

harsh but fair.

Latest posts