What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

stryker

First Grade
No one said we were getting one, it was a discussion.
It’s an opinion forum.
I said earlier, IMO, we need to get to the level below elite and grab some solid first graders.
No shit.
You should be a head coach.

If it has to be done, im saying it will be Sheens, but for mine, I’m leaning towards Seibold.

He pulled South’s out of the murk and mire in a single season and had all the players spiralling upwards. Especially the under performers. He turned Cook into an origin player.

He favours recreating game day conditions for training and gets grubby with them. They practiced for 120 minute games not 80. They enjoy getting fit.

He has the requisite intellect to understand players. Doesn’t just yell at them. He’s sharp.

He was set up to fail at Brisbane. Undercut all the time, bogus lazy players.

He’d have a red hot swing.

I also like Hook if we can get him.

BrotherJim05

Bench
You can't compare coaches time at other clubs with how they would go at WT. Tigers are a uniquely shit team:
1. No singular home ground
2. No players want to go there
3. Current players can leave any time they want

Tigerm

First Grade
If it has to be done, im saying it will be Sheens, but for mine, I’m leaning towards Seibold.

He pulled South’s out of the murk and mire in a single season and had all the players spiralling upwards. Especially the under performers. He turned Cook into an origin player.

He favours recreating game day conditions for training and gets grubby with them. They practiced for 120 minute games not 80. They enjoy getting fit.

He has the requisite intellect to understand players. Doesn’t just yell at them. He’s sharp.

Madge is our man, get used to it, you’ll feel better.

Madge is our man, get used to it, you’ll feel better.
I’m prepared to accept that but there are some questions I have for him.

Especially about the non-improving players and how he intends to fix that issue.

Realistically I think he has until round 6 2022 to save his job and to be fair, he’d be thinking along similar lines.

We've all agreed that his main problem is this growth and development he used to talk about, only applies to a handful of players. Other players are stagnant or getting fractionally worse.

I think that’s the biggest issue. The results are, in a sense, secondary. If you play well and lose, that’s easier to stomach, because wins are close. But we ain’t anywhere near that zone!

So I’d like to know his thoughts and program on that front. He has to argue that circumstances stood in his way this year, but won’t next year etc.

I’m not questioning his effort or dedication, but he’s going to have explain why from his angle. Admit mistakes as well. Be candid, account. I don’t want any apology, just info.

I think he will be honest. He’s that sort of guy.

He would probably welcome input from Sheens. I would for sure.

Last edited:
Sheens wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, in the modern era of lightning speed play the balls and six agains, his all out attack gameplan would probably work well.

if the 2009-2012 seasons were played under the current rules we probably have another 2 premierships at least.
He’s the obvious candidate.

Theres some good pr and sentimentalism about it, although it’s probably a smokescreen until we get more office talent.

Good officials sign good players, employ good coaches, balance the books and bring hope to the club.

Webb, the ceo at sgi he is having a fair season.

He’s the obvious candidate.

Theres some good pr and sentimentalism about it, although it’s probably a smokescreen until we get more office talent.

Good officials sign good players, employ good coaches, balance the books and bring hope to the club.

Webb, the ceo at sgi he is having a fair season.

it fits with WT crisis strategy - bring someone from 2005 back

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I’m prepared to accept that but there are some questions I have for him.

Especially about the non-improving players and how he intends to fix that issue.

Realistically I think he has until round 6 2022 to save his job and to be fair, he’d be thinking along similar lines.

We've all agreed that his main problem is this growth and development he used to talk about, only applies to a handful of players. Other players are stagnant or getting fractionally worse.

I think that’s the biggest issue. The results are, in a sense, secondary. If you play well and lose, that’s easier to stomach, because wins are close. But we ain’t anywhere near that zone!

So I’d like to know his thoughts and program on that front. He has to argue that circumstances stood in his way this year, but won’t next year etc.

I’m not questioning his effort or dedication, but he’s going to have explain why from his angle. Admit mistakes as well. Be candid, account. I don’t want any apology, just info.

I think he will be honest. He’s that sort of guy.

He would probably welcome input from Sheens. I would for sure.
Good post.

I don't think we get that level of honesty you talk about from Madge and that is a serious concern.

I will defend Madge for inheriting shit contracts (Packer, Mbye, Matulino & Reynolds) but I cannot stomach the players that he himself has signed. BJ Leilua and Roberts have been terrible. He gave AJ Kepaoa a 3 and half year contract! The guy has hands like feet.

Madge is clearly on the nose with player managers. He's not doing anything to boost our recruitment prospects. If he gets moved on I will not be too upset. I can't see any upside in him continuing, the majority of the squad have not show any improvement under his coaching.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

He was slammed from pillar to post by the Broncos players and he oversaw some terrible contracts eg Matt Lodge through his connection to Isaac Moses.

No way.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I will defend Madge for inheriting shit contracts (Packer, Mbye, Matulino & Reynolds) but I cannot stomach the players that he himself has signed. BJ Leilua and Roberts have been terrible. He gave AJ Kepaoa a 3 and half year contract! The guy has hands like feet.
To be fair, we can't blame all poor recruitment on the head coach. I know that is what everyone does, but if you look at how NRL teams work, there is a whole team of people who make those decisions, with the coach being just one of them. I think the reality is that for whatever reason we can't attract the top line players. I reckon part of it is the lack of decent facilities & playing out of multiple home grounds. It would actually be an easy fix if it was all on the coach. Having said that, I do think there is a problem with Maguire not being able to get players in the right mindset before the game & also he does not have effective game plans. Screaming & shouting & swearing at them does not work. This isn't the army, or the 1970s.

To be fair, we can't blame all poor recruitment on the head coach. I know that is what everyone does, but if you look at how NRL teams work, there is a whole team of people who make those decisions, with the coach being just one of them. I think the reality is that for whatever reason we can't attract the top line players. I reckon part of it is the lack of decent facilities & playing out of multiple home grounds. It would actually be an easy fix if it was all on the coach. Having said that, I do think there is a problem with Maguire not being able to get players in the right mindset before the game & also he does not have effective game plans. Screaming & shouting & swearing at them does not work. This isn't the army, or the 1970s.
Madge isn’t in charge of recruitment, although he’s consulted.

So I suppose he could argue that he was presented with duds, except that I think that whoever he ends up with in a roster, from dud all the way up to marquee, they need to improve their own game under his command and I can only think of 5 out of 30.

Both Steff and Daine, they weren’t even genuine first graders before Madge and now they are the envy of the league for their price and quality. Plus he’s an international coach.

So the ability is there, but say 5 players ( I’d Include Lucy and Doogie as a growth player) out of 30, is only 16% known unarguable improvement player percentage which is a too low. You could tolerate 50%

You look at Melbourne and that pendulum is the other way. They’d be unlucky to have 16% of players not actually improving over the season. That would be catastrophic by their standards.

So on the surface, I think Madge is culpable and responsible for a fair degree of the failure, or people under him, etc.

But if Madge is butchered, He can give Lee, 33% of the squad and Pascoe a lift home as well.

I think we need Tim ASAP, I think we should be looking at flying him out by private jet, globe hop:

London, Paris, Constantinople, New Delhi, Saigon, Bali, Broken Hill, Rozelle.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
Wayne Bennett for 1 season as an assistant to Madge.
Bennett used for the one on one chats, the mental thing.

No press conference, he can sit next to Madge in the box, no one else, certainly not the guys that Madge recruited.
Bennett would never play 2nd fiddle and I don't think Madge could work with skeletor either.

gordsy

Juniors
Yeah I know Gordsy, JB04 did say "Hypothetically" - I just added my thoughts of what could work as Bennet would only be available for the 1 year.
Yeah fair enough. I think if you sign Bennett you do so for 3 -4 years and have a junior coach under him ie a Cameron Ciraldo. You couldn't have Sheens, and Hartigan would need to be very clear on what his role is too.
Oh and get rid of this recruit by committee crap.

Last edited: