What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

Tigerm

First Grade
Yeah fair enough. I think if you sign Bennett you do so for 3 -4 years and have a junior coach under him ie a Cameron Ciraldo. You couldn't have Sheens, and Hartigan would need to be very clear on what his role is too.
Oh and get rid of this recruit by committee crap.
Not having this, is what got us into trouble in the past, wasn't it?

Tiger05

First Grade
Not having this, is what got us into trouble in the past, wasn't it?

We need a committee, We can't let coaches make dumb decisions that might help them for a season but kill the club for the next 5 seasons.

We've had Josh Reynolds, Russel Packer and Mbye as our marquee signings via the coach knows best approach.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Agree with the need to be careful and surely each and evry player that reaches final stages before signing must, repeat must go through a rigourous medical, physical (and possibly psychological) assessment. If they dont pass, dont sign.

Das Hassler

Bench
We need a committee, We can't let coaches make dumb decisions that might help them for a season but kill the club for the next 5 seasons.

We've had Josh Reynolds, Russel Packer and Mbye as our marquee signings via the coach knows best approach.

Memories are short. ..most everyone decried the interference that Potter and Taylor had to navigate and were delighted that we ( at long last) signed a "real coach" in Cleary AND gave him the total control he asked for...most everyone applauded that at the time...can you show a post where you. ..or anyone else for that matter protested Cleary's total control at the time?

Tiger05

First Grade
to be more accurate paying average players marquee money has killed our club. ;)

If we had actual marquee players we would be doing a bit better

Totally agree. If we could get a quality marquee player it'd be awesome. You nail it in that our marquee recruits are average first graders at best.

Just to rub it in to all of us including myself. Mbye has been our best marquee signing of the Cleary era.

Tigerm

First Grade
Memories are short. ..most everyone decried the interference that Potter and Taylor had to navigate and were delighted that we ( at long last) signed a "real coach" in Cleary AND gave him the total control he asked for...most everyone applauded that at the time...can you show a post where you. ..or anyone else for that matter protested Cleary's total control at the time?
Doesn’t matter now, it didn’t work. This new model (if it is new) has been implemented by a few clubs now?
Walters has spoken about it re Bronco’s, is an example?
The dogs seem to be following our old way, will be interesting how they go in the next few years?

Das Hassler

Bench
Doesn’t matter now, it didn’t work. This new model (if it is new) has been implemented by a few clubs now?
The dogs seem to be following our old way, will be interesting how they go in the next few years?

You can't anticipate every contingency. ..No-one besides maybe Gould...and that's a big maybe ..could have predicted the multi year mess Cleary brought. There probably isnt another coach who would have so shamefully bailed on his mistakes for his own benefit after being given the total trust he insisted on. It wasn't about our system..it was Cleary's two faced cynical use of our trust as a way back into penrith that was the problem 100%....it's obvious now why he signed the overpriced bandaids that he did...he knew from day 1 that he wouldn't be here longterm ...i'm convinced his pathway from the scrapheap and back into penrith was engineered before the ink even dried on his WT contract....his inconsequential ( for him) signings and his planned early departure were entwined We can't let that lone wolf grub act dictate how we do things in the future.

Tiger05

First Grade
@Das Hassler - the reasons you give are why we can't give the coach sole responsibility for recruitment going forward.

I think your opinion of Cleary is aligned with mine.

Yeah I’m a union man, Harto has done a lot a more good than bad and I’ve always had time for his composed approach.

I’m not into @Das Hassler conspiracy theory as he presents it, but I agree ivan lacks a lot of credibility and a lot Panther people don’t like him.

The very fair and excellent mods over at Panther lu ( I mean that, they are good blokes) deleted my post when I speculated ivan was stealing underwear off clothesline’s in the district ( once he got past May peeping away), which was of course a joke.

What I was really saying is that I have no time for him. I wasn't seriously suggesting he was a deviant or pervert etc.

Anyway I’d better report this to @macnaz or @sensesmaybenumbed in case they agree with their Panther mod brothers.

I don’t want any dirty looks at the annual Lu Moderator Congress in the corridors. Delete away gentlemen.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I didn’t know that ..

With the spoon and the once in a generation embarrassment that was Seibold, the Broncos hierarchy are now terrified of allowing any coach sole responsibility for recruitment (who could blame them) even more terrified than WT (and who could blame them) - at least unlike WT, the Broncos got rid of Siebold when it went beyond a joke

You’d have to be blind Freddy to not see how the “old way” with Trent Barrett given full responsibility with recruitment at Canterbury is going - Bloody fabulous. He had at least proven he can get results as an assistant coach at Penrith . He was getting great feedback from sort after players etc etc Therefore the Dogs decided to trust Barrett (as any worthy gamble needs) - oh and he WOULD have demanded sole recruitment responsibility.

As the Hassler says you can’t let the minority of occurrences eg Cleary dictate your policy or change the winning formula..You have to pick your coach that ticks the box’s and take the gamble …5 people with 5 different views and strategy’s, has never or very seldom imo, come up with one good result, on a rugby league field.

There’s got to be Nothing worse for a coach than having to deal with players they know are bad choices, or they just have no faith in, and also knowing THEIR neck’s on the line. Some coaches have no choice though due to their apparent lack of effectiveness/ good results, and their poor choices in the past. I would think they would be resentful and angry about it and maybe end up going through the motions to some degree. But also knowing that the family holidays, and kids private schooling are paid for, and the missus is happy.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I didn’t know that ..

With the spoon and the once in a generation embarrassment that was Seibold the Broncos hierarchy are now terrified of allowing any coach sole responsibility for recruitment (who could blame them) even more terrified than WT (and who could blame WT) - at least unlike WT the Broncos got rid of Siebold when it went beyond a joke

You’d have to be blind Freddy to not see how the “old way” ie With Trent Barrett given full responsibility with recruitment is going at Canterbury - Bloody fabulous.He had at least proven he can get results as an assistant coach at Penrith . He was getting great feedback from sort after players etc ..Therefore the Dogs decided to trust Barrett (as any worthy gamble needs) - oh and he would have demanded sole recruitment decisions

As the Hassler says you can’t let the minority of occurrences eg Cleary dictate your policy or change the winning formula..You have to pick your coach that ticks the box’s and take the gamble …5 people with 5 different views and strategy’s has never or very seldom imo come up with one good result on a rugby league field and the poor coach who has to deal with players they know are a bad choices or they just have no faith in …Some coaches have no choice though due to their apparent lack of effectiveness and results and their poor choices in the past, and I would think they would be resentful and angry about it and maybe end up going through the motions to some degree, but also knowing that there holidays and kids private schooling are paid for and the missus is happy.
Yeah, hard to know what’s best, as Hartigan came from Roosters, I would think they use the same method we are using? I think it has merit.

I guess (what we are doing) allows for continuity, so if Madge leaves the club direction is still on track? More a club direction rather than a coach direction? We have gone down the youth development path, as we can’t or won’t pay for elite players like the Dogs?

Time will tell with the Dog’s, Gus being there should help, but if they falter, then I don’t see Barrett lasting out next season even?

WA Tiger

Bench
Yeah, hard to know what’s best, as Hartigan came from Roosters, I would think they use the same method we are using? I think it has merit.

I guess (what we are doing) allows for continuity, so if Madge leaves the club direction is still on track? More a club direction rather than a coach direction? We have gone down the youth development path, as we can’t or won’t pay for elite players like the Dogs?

Time will tell with the Dog’s, Gus being there should help, but if they falter, then I don’t see Barrett lasting out next season even?
I’m guessing that Pascoe believes any decision that’s made re coaching, recruitment, the lot, will be a better decision with him involved..hence the triumvirate decision making with recruitment at WT.

I couldn’t imagine the two, sorry 3 super coaches having any time for other people’s opinions about what players should be recruited, for the team they coach - at least if they feel strongly yes or no about a player. They’ve earnt that right to have the final say, and Im pretty sure no-ones going to argue with them

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I’m guessing that Pascoe believes any decision that’s made re coaching, recruitment, the lot, will be a better decision with him involved..hence the triumvirate decision making with recruitment at WT.

I couldn’t imagine the two, sorry 3 super coaches having any time for others opinions about what players are recruited for the team they coach - at least if they feel strongly yes or no about a player. They’ve earnt that right and Im pretty sure no-ones going to argue with them
Madge certainly has a say but not the final say?

As I understand it, not only JP but the board are involved in signing players now? Can't say if it slows anything, but you would think it would?

Latest posts