What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

Fordy20

Juniors
Unlikely Bellamy would have had the same success without the professional Storm organisation behind him.

Fordy20

Juniors
Memories are short. ..most everyone decried the interference that Potter and Taylor had to navigate and were delighted that we ( at long last) signed a "real coach" in Cleary AND gave him the total control he asked for...most everyone applauded that at the time...can you show a post where you. ..or anyone else for that matter protested Cleary's total control at the time?

I was pissed off that Potter never got the latitude or control that both Taylor and Cleary were given. It's ironic, because Potter was the only coach since the start of the JV who proved he deserved it.

WA Tiger

Bench
Clearys way back in the game could have been because of his friendship with Pascoe …(There he is making another critical coaching decision) Cleary had been out for ages and wasn’t a standout.

Shredder

Juniors
Its the coach that gets blamed when we are shit. The coach should have a significant amount of control over the roster.

This recruitment by committee is obviously whats stopping us making marque signings. And no I dont have any sources other than common sense.

The coach should have a head of recruitment, who looks for youth and a GM of football who actually does the deals. Maybe thats what Sheens will do? That team of three should be completely responsible for recruitment.

Regardless, the Chairman of the board should have absolutely nothing to do with recruitment.

stryker

First Grade
Its the coach that gets blamed when we are shit. The coach should have a significant amount of control over the roster.

This recruitment by committee is obviously whats stopping us making marque signings. And no I dont have any sources other than common sense.

The coach should have a head of recruitment, who looks for youth and a GM of football who actually does the deals. Maybe thats what Sheens will do? That team of three should be completely responsible for recruitment.

Regardless, the Chairman of the board should have absolutely nothing to do with recruitment.
So what is Hartigan role moving forward?
He gets a demotion?

stryker

First Grade
The coach should have the final say on all signings. Negotiations may involve others at the club, but signing players that the coach does not want is not a recipe for success.
100%
The coach lives and dies by his sword.
If his sword was manufactured by others, that’s not fair.

Shredder

Juniors
So what is Hartigan role moving forward?
He gets a demotion?
f**ked if I know.

To me it looks like the club is too top heavy. I would rather have five excellent people running our club rather than 15 idiots.

I mean look at it from a business perspective. If you wanted to hire staff and had to run that gauntlet of signoff you would never get anyone.

I understand being gun shy after our past, but if Madge is the coach and the board supports him "fully" they should let him pick his squad.

Hartigan is the GM of football, Sheens is Head of Football performance. I would assume that Sheens reports to Hartigan. But I would also assume that Hartigan SHOULD have been responsible for performance.....

stryker

First Grade
f**ked if I know.

To me it looks like the club is too top heavy. I would rather have five excellent people running our club rather than 15 idiots.

I mean look at it from a business perspective. If you wanted to hire staff and had to run that gauntlet of signoff you would never get anyone.

I understand being gun shy after our past, but if Madge is the coach and the board supports him "fully" they should let him pick his squad.

Hartigan is the GM of football, Sheens is Head of Football performance. I would assume that Sheens reports to Hartigan. But I would also assume that Hartigan SHOULD have been responsible for performance.....
Absolutely top heavy.
If Sheens is to have his role, Hartigan can f**k off.

stryker

First Grade
We don’t.
Having said that, I sincerely believe Sheens started the downfall of this club before he was kicked out. Re-hiring him to come back in as a saviour is a MASSIVE mistake. Hartigan, for all his references and media hype has achieved bugger all here, bringing into the club some players who may become quality first graders by 2023 (fingers crossed) and missing out on a bus full of established talent who came onto the market. He has proven himself a dud hire.

Unfortunately it seems we have to take them both? Hilarity will ensue.

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah I agree with you about Sheens starting all this off.

Playing half backs on the wing and pandering to players began a culture of bullshit.

I think he was actually quoted as saying I dont care if the opposition score 20, we will just score more.

WA Tiger

Bench
There is only room for one Tiger! ..Both Madge and Sheens are Chinese astrology Tigers. Tigers tend to not back down and I’m expecting trouble between them.

I doubt Madge could handle being bossed around in the coaching department. He will know though that if there’s a problem between them, he will be the one to go - if it comes to that imo

Last edited:

Fordy20

Juniors
I doubt Madge could handle being bossed around in the coaching department. He will know though that if there’s a problem between them he will be the one to go - if it comes to that imo

If I had to bet who'd survive at the Tigers if Sheens and Madge went head to head, I'd put the house on Sheens everyday of the week. It took four CEOs to get rid of Sheens, despite the fact that this is the bloke who had seven years to capitalise on the success of 2005, failed monumentally and instead of magnanimously accepting a coaching director role, goes kicking and screaming to the courts.

Tigerm

First Grade
If I had to bet who'd survive at the Tigers if Sheens and Madge went head to head, I'd put the house on Sheens everyday of the week. It took four CEOs to get rid of Sheens, despite the fact that this is the bloke who had seven years to capitalise on the success of 2005, failed monumentally and instead of magnanimously accepting a coaching director role, goes kicking and screaming to the courts.
Probably, but that was a long time ago?
I understand that they are mates, so hopefully it stays professional, for the good of the club?

TBH, I am not a fan of having Tim back.

gordsy

Juniors
We have signed Sheens because we can't sign a marque player imo and if it goes bad then it buys them more time, if it goes well then they are geniuses. I can see this being a huge cluster f**k.

WA Tiger

Bench
Maybe …At least the suits are admitting they know Fk all about what to do . That’s a positive ..Theyre putting there trust in Sheens, who should know something about the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
I do feel Madge did have the boys at one point. At the start of last season, I thought our side defended with a lot of desperation. The best I have seen a tiger side defend since we made finals. Then....halfway through the season, the bubble burst. I can even tag the game where we lost the plot....a night game against Parramatta (we always lose to those f**ks). We have not defended with the same consistent desperation ever since. This year, our defence has had no real intensity in it all season (apart from a game against Souths). We have definitely regressed in that area this year.
I like Madge as a person but I think the boys need a new voice in that dressing room. Not being able to attract players must be the final straw this season.