What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge

Vote for next coach after Madge - possibles.

• Tooves

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Cartwright

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Furner

• Dean Pay

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Another Assistant coach from top tier club

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Taylor (Rip)- New South Wales cup best coach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madge with a fair pay cut.

• Gardiner (bears)- going ok with so so side

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Bradford ( super league)- uber coach

• None of the above, I will nominate my own schmukles.

• Total voters

themacemaceman

Juniors
Nope......

Sammy probably still would be.....

Farah would go and we'd play Cook at hooker.......

Farah going would free us up more money to buy 1 very good prop and a solid prop and a couple of good backs........

AJ would be encouraged to roam around the field and Hunt would be told to get his hands dirty more and lift his workrate when we are coming out of our own end......

Cody would be told to play with some structure in attack but also to play naturally and run off his instincts and get his hands on the ball a lot........

Cherrington would be used as a battering ram too..... he's got it in him......

Murray would be given good chance to develop.....

The list goes on.....
Except for Cook mate I agree with everything else.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Re Maguire. I asked Peter Tunks on Talking Sport ]2SM] hier and he emphatically informed me thus: "Maguire has two more years on his contract and it would be very costly to sack him. So its hard to see him going anywhere". Tunks and Graham Hughes were nevertheless highly critical of the One Hit Up Tactics and Maguire's choice of bench players making the point that the bench seemed to be incompatible with Maguire's "tactics". Tunks also commented to me that its Maguire's job to cut the turnovers down especially from The Burgess Clan. Tunks stated that Burgess Clan should be leaning into tackles with their left shoulder and tucking the rock firmly under the right arm which he says they fail to do repeatedly and that its easily corrected by smart coaching.
Interesting about the way they carry the ball. I was only thinking the other day are they carrying/holding the ball different.
Maybe they need to talk to Hayne and carry NFL style...rapped up in both arms....particularly when coming out of our own end.
As far as Tunks comment goes I'll take that with a grain of salt. Nobody says the truth in interviews these days.
He wasn't exactly going to say "Madge is gone!"
What is Tunks, affiliation with the club these days?

doyen

Bench
I think Madge is on the nose with RUSTY!!

The front runner for our new coach may be Anthony SEIBOLD who is Madge's present asst.

He is also the Asst Qld SOO coach.

He was a former asst of Bellamy!

A 42 yr old teacher with a Masters in Education he is greatly respected.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Tbh I would love to hear both sides of the story. Maybe recruitment/retention wasn't just up to Madge and maybe Russel Crowe played a massive part in it.

I highly doubt Crowe is to blame though. Even if he is the owner he is just a regular fan like all of us there's no way his words/feelings have any effect to recruitment/retention. I would be extremely disappointed if it did.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Tbh I would love to hear both sides of the story. Maybe recruitment/retention wasn't just up to Madge and maybe Russel Crowe played a massive part in it.

I highly doubt Crowe is to blame though. Even if he is the owner he is just a regular fan like all of us there's no way his words/feelings have any effect to recruitment/retention. I would be extremely disappointed if it did.
I think Rusty has stepped back from the business in the last couple of years.
Let's hope there are no more repeats of the Coffs Harbour camp at Uncle Rusty's or reports of him coaching players what lines to run.

Travitoh

First Grade
I think Rusty has stepped back from the business in the last couple of years.
Let's hope there are no more repeats of the Coffs Harbour camp at Uncle Rusty's or reports of him coaching players what lines to run.

Uncle Rusty used to be quite hands on but post 21 he hasn't been as involved in signings it would seem.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Dean Pay has coached u/20 SOO team to win last 5 years. He is the next gun coach.
That's the general whisper.

I think the pressure is piling up on des and Pay must be in the running to get his gig.

So now would be an appropriate time to make a play for Pay ( instead of pay for play!)

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
That's the general whisper.

I think the pressure is piling up on des and Pay must be in the running to get his gig.

So now would be an appropriate time to make a play for Pay ( instead of pay for play!)

Why does everyone thing pay is a gun coach? I've heard Canberra fans complain about him as the reason for their poor defence.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Why does everyone thing pay is a gun coach? I've heard Canberra fans complain about him as the reason for their poor defence.
He's reputedly a builder of footballers, tends to add the polish and all that. Given what I see as a general reluctance for fresh cattle or the preference for a surgical strike of a Gagai, then he's our man. When we have a side losing traction and playing worse than they used to, we need a good freshening up. Pay will arrive with a new game plan and something to prove and help us forget the last three seasons pretty quickly. For whatever reason, Madge can no longer get into the players heads to bring out there best. He's been yelling and tough on them but that's not working. More finesse is needed. The game moves so rapidly. There's a tweak every week. It's one of the joys of the nrl. So the coach needs to adapt and be an early adopter of trends or ways to counter them. The number of players and talent we had for 21 isn't about, so we need to build our squad up or die again. Trent Robinson is a builder and adjuster. Awesome coach.We just don't play like the rooster scum. They aren't packed with that much love either. Plenty of scroteified muppets punching well above their weight. Week in and week out. Incredible. If you listen to his interviews, he's very thoughtful, very deep into the game.

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
He's reputedly a builder of footballers, tends to add the polish and all that. Given what I see as a general reluctance for fresh cattle or the preference for a surgical strike of a Gagai, then he's our man. When we have a side losing traction and playing worse than they used to, we need a good freshening up. Pay will arrive with a new game plan and something to prove and help us forget the last three seasons pretty quickly. For whatever reason, Madge can no longer get into the players heads to bring out there best. He's been yelling and tough on them but that's not working. More finesse is needed. The game moves so rapidly. There's a tweak every week. It's one of the joys of the nrl. So the coach needs to adapt and be an early adopter of trends or ways to counter them. The number of players and talent we had for 21 isn't about, so we need to build our squad up or die again. Trent Robinson is a builder and adjuster. Awesome coach.We just don't play like the rooster scum. They aren't packed with that much love either. Plenty of scroteified muppets punching well above their weight. Week in and week out. Incredible. If you listen to his interviews, he's very thoughtful, very deep into the game.

In madge's defence he doesn't have a top 8 roster to work with...

Liberate Souths

Juniors
In madge's defence he doesn't have a top 8 roster to work with...
True, but whatever magic is needed to turn the guys on ( ie a Penrith game every week) he is unable to do it. That's my point. The coach must talk and the players listen and respond. Whatever the synergy needed, we don't have it. As bad as they are as a group, they should be playing better footy. Robbo scores far more optimum performances than Madge. And teams with plenty of muppets are going better than us. Sea eagles roster is like a st vinnies.

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
True, but whatever magic is needed to turn the guys on ( ie a Penrith game every week) he is unable to do it. That's my point. The coach must talk and the players listen and respond. Whatever the synergy needed, we don't have it. As bad as they are as a group, they should be playing better footy.

I agree but sometimes the rot within the players motivation is so deep that it means they should be moved on. A lot of our grand final veterans have struggled to regain form.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
I agree but sometimes the rot within the players motivation is so deep that it means they should be moved on. A lot of our grand final veterans have struggled to regain form.

True dat.

In addition to Madge, I'd be saying goodbye to about half the squad including but not limited to:

Sutto, hunt, ,tom, Clarke, , tyrell.

3 game probation " show cause" why you should wear our colours:

Cook, turner, musgrove, walker, Farah: Jennings; burns; George

Gi, Aj, renno, Crichton and sam could play badly for the rest of the year and walk right into my squad at the charity shield.

It could be a case of really dumb and rotting players as you suggest.Yeah I see that possibility. But there are so many of them...talk about a wrong turn in recruitment.

I am sure rusty is upset.

There's no synergy or meeting of minds in our group. They often play like strangers. There's no trust and morale has all but disintegrated. Madge is asking the disloyal to leave, thats right to do, but it shows a lack of togetherness.

So it's not all Madge, yep, but he's not able to help the situation. His sacking would be a mercy killing of sorts. To save him and everyone of a regrettable 2018. A lot of fans have just given up. Try talking Souths at work, people think you are a leper!

I used to get made fun of and abused for supporting Souths by strangers. I have the mandatory factory beanie. Those days are returning. I am not embarrassed yet, but it's getting that way.

I don't want to feel bad for supporting Souths.

Last edited: