What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mafia Super League

Apey

Staff member
I can't keep up with the game, but I do love reading me some BM logic. His 'you think I'm bad so you're bad' routine will never get old. :lol:

Bazzi

First Grade
I don't understand why I've been picked off so early in the last 5 games or so, I'm not even any good at mafia anyway.. always when I have an interesting role too.

Keen as f**k to play some mafia throughout my boring weekdays but I'm only ever alive over the weekends, during the week I'm dead and waiting for the next game to start, ah well.

whall15

Coach
Dear oh dear. How do you work that out comrade Whall?

Under the UN Charter war must be approved by the UN Security Council.

This is seen through Article 39.

The Security Council shall determine the existence of any threat to the peace, breach of the peace, or act of aggression and shall make recommendations, or decide what measures shall be taken in accordance with Articles 41 and 42, to maintain or restore international peace and security.

Article 41 involves peaceful sanctions whilst 42 involves force. Articles 39, 41 and 42 are seen here.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/chapter7.shtml

Article 51 (which is also sourced at the above link) states that the only time force may be used without the express consent of the UN Security Council is when a nation has been attacked by a sovereign state and is using self-defence.

Nothing in the present Charter shall impair the inherent right of individual or collective self-defence if an armed attack occurs against a Member of the United Nations, until the Security Council has taken measures necessary to maintain international peace and security. Measures taken by Members in the exercise of this right of self-defence shall be immediately reported to the Security Council and shall not in any way affect the authority and responsibility of the Security Council under the present Charter to take at any time such action as it deems necessary in order to maintain or restore international peace and security.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/chapter7.shtml

Therefore the Iraq War is an illegal war under international law and therefore Bush, Blair, Howard and the other leaders of the Coalition of the Willing have committed war crimes.

This view is corroborated by the following

The then-Secretary General of the United Nations Kofi Annan - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3661134.stm

Yes, if you wish. I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal.

The then-Attorney General of the United Kingdom, Lord Goldsmith - http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jun/30/chilcot-inquiry-lord-goldsmith-blair

"In view of your meeting with President Bush on Friday," Goldsmith told Blair, "I thought you might wish to know where I stand on the question of whether a further decision of the [UN] security council is legally required in order to authorise the use of force against Iraq."

Goldsmith warned Blair that he "remained of the view that the correct legal interpretation of resolution 1441 [the last security council decision on Iraq] is that it does not authorise the use of force without a further determination by the security council".

Goldsmith concluded: "My view remains that a further [UN] decision is required." A handwritten note, believed to be by David Manning, Blair's chief foreign policy adviser, warned: "Clear advice from attorney on need for further resolution."

Pentagon advisor Richard Perle - http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/nov/20/usa.iraq1

international law ... would have required us to leave Saddam Hussein alone

Former UN Weapons Inspector (and former Governor of Tasmania) Richard Butler - http://elibrary.law.psu.edu/jlia/vol1/iss1/2/

The Charter is why Iraq?s invasion of Kuwait in 1990 and the U.S./U.K.
invasion of Iraq in 2003 were both illegal actions. Neither actions were approved or
undertaken on behalf of the Security Council under the rubric of ?the maintenance
of international peace and security.?

In contrast, the expulsion of Iraq from Kuwait in 1991, by a U.N. mandated
force, comprising twenty-nine countries, but led militarily by the United States, was
legal.

soc123_au

Staff member
They should have finished it first time around, I will grant you that. Probably a discussion for a different thread though. I still maintain little Johnny was one of out better PMs.

whall15

Coach
I view Howard in a vastly different light. In a sense he's Australia's Reagan, he dragged the country considerably to the right and has destroyed the Australian political system for the foreseeable future. (Although whilst Reagan did it on economic issues, Howard did it on social issues).

I blame Howard for the current bigoted nature of Australian society, for the rampant nationalism and the persecution of asylum seekers. I hope the damage he has caused is not irreparable.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
They should have finished it first time around, I will grant you that. Probably a discussion for a different thread though. I still maintain little Johnny was one of out better PMs.

On what basis was he one of our 'better' PM's though? Everyone says this but there never seems to be anything more than that statement.

I view Howard in a vastly different light. In a sense he's Australia's Reagan, he dragged the country considerably to the right and has destroyed the Australian political system for the foreseeable future. (Although whilst Reagan did it on economic issues, Howard did it on social issues).

I blame Howard for the current bigoted nature of Australian society, for the rampant nationalism and the persecution of asylum seekers. I hope the damage he has caused is not irreparable.

He's more like Thatcher, I think, but had a better PR department although I understand the Reagan comment.

Have a look at Howard's economic ideas though. He butchered public assets.

mickyj

Bench
Some people look at Howard due to his economic record. But the fact is which even he admits it had more to do with the work done by Keating then his own.

If you come via boat and don't have white skin your a criminal but hope on a plan on a tourist visa and never leave its all good. Providing your white and speak English.

Dutchy

Immortal
Some people look at Howard due to his economic record. But the fact is which even he admits it had more to do with the work done by Keating then his own.

If you come via boat and don't have white skin your a criminal but hope on a plan on a tourist visa and never leave its all good. Providing your white and speak English.

Tell that to my pommy mate who got deported after being gang assaulted by middle Eastern blokes.

whall15

Coach
On what basis was he one of our 'better' PM's though? Everyone says this but there never seems to be anything more than that statement.

He's more like Thatcher, I think, but had a better PR department although I understand the Reagan comment.

Have a look at Howard's economic ideas though. He butchered public assets.

He was hardly great economically either, I was mainly saying that because our situation is nowhere near as bad as the United States'.

Apey

Staff member
f**k this shit off.

I don't understand why I've been picked off so early in the last 5 games or so, I'm not even any good at mafia anyway.. always when I have an interesting role too.

Keen as f**k to play some mafia throughout my boring weekdays but I'm only ever alive over the weekends, during the week I'm dead and waiting for the next game to start, ah well.

Probably because you had a run there were you were both quiet and non-town for several games.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
That was one of the best lynches I've ever seen. On par with Classic mafia lynch on KTF.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's all good. Let the Pulsee's have their Marcia. It's looking like a train wreck at the mo. When my revive comes in I'll sort it out. "Investigations" for everyone.

Latest posts