What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maguire Might Not Choose Teddy This Year

mave

Coach
I do think it's pretty fkn hilarious how we have gone from picking 4 or 5 fullbacks and shoehorning them into the 17, to now picking half a dozen 80 minute backrowers and doing the same.

MKCS

Juniors
I think it shows the mentality differences between NSW and QLD with this team selection sheet. QLD never would have left key players out unless they were absolutely awful. Tedesco is the current Australian and NSW Captain (I guess not anymore...) and has been our best player for 3 of the last 5 series, why let him go? Especially when he's been playing quite good for the Roosters. Reckon QLD will drop DCE because Manly have been going shit for the last 5-6 weeks? No chance.

Lomax I don't think has been good enough over recent month or so to be selected for NSW neither has Suaalii to be honest. Addo-Carr and Matt Burton would've been the best left side out of the available players. If we'd gone with Teddy, Addo-Carr and Burton we'd have a backline with 53 games experience whilst our current backline only has 16 games of experience. Experience wins big footy games and both Addo-Carr and Burton haven't really done anything to not make it either.

The halves are probably the best we could have but it's a combination of just 8 Origin games between both players. With the lack of experience it makes the decision to debut 3 new players in the backline even more baffling. I don't see either player troubling QLD too much unfortunately.

The forward pack looks pretty good but again, classic NSW where we have the best lock forward in the world available to us and we instead put him on the bench, the best hooker in the state in Api misses out for NSW's 2nd or 3rd best hooker and captain Jake Trbojevic is also out of position (I'm aware he's played plenty of prop for NSW before)

As others pointed out the lack of outside back or halves cover on the bench isn't good either and we've got no x-factor on there. 15 minutes to go and we're down by 6 what are we going to do? Look out here comes Spencer Leniu? I don't think so...

King hit

Coach
the simpsons art GIF by hoppip
f**king autocorrect

mongoose

Coach
I think it shows the mentality differences between NSW and QLD with this team selection sheet. QLD never would have left key players out unless they were absolutely awful. Tedesco is the current Australian and NSW Captain (I guess not anymore...) and has been our best player for 3 of the last 5 series, why let him go? Especially when he's been playing quite good for the Roosters. Reckon QLD will drop DCE because Manly have been going shit for the last 5-6 weeks? No chance.

Lomax I don't think has been good enough over recent month or so to be selected for NSW neither has Suaalii to be honest. Addo-Carr and Matt Burton would've been the best left side out of the available players. If we'd gone with Teddy, Addo-Carr and Burton we'd have a backline with 53 games experience whilst our current backline only has 16 games of experience. Experience wins big footy games and both Addo-Carr and Burton haven't really done anything to not make it either.

The halves are probably the best we could have but it's a combination of just 8 Origin games between both players. With the lack of experience it makes the decision to debut 3 new players in the backline even more baffling. I don't see either player troubling QLD too much unfortunately.

The forward pack looks pretty good but again, classic NSW where we have the best lock forward in the world available to us and we instead put him on the bench, the best hooker in the state in Api misses out for NSW's 2nd or 3rd best hooker and captain Jake Trbojevic is also out of position (I'm aware he's played plenty of prop for NSW before)

As others pointed out the lack of outside back or halves cover on the bench isn't good either and we've got no x-factor on there. 15 minutes to go and we're down by 6 what are we going to do? Look out here comes Spencer Leniu? I don't think so...
If I was QLD I would be trying to bring Sam Walker into the side. DCE needs to retire.

Llangennech

Juniors
As we know, To'o and Lomax are good at running from dummy-half. The only way we're going to beat Qld is through the middle, obviously Maguire has picked a side to do that.

Haas-Robson-Jake T
Crichton---Martin
-----McInnes-----
To'o-Suali'i-Luai------Hynes-Crichton-Lomax
-------------Edwards------------------

Wizardman

First Grade
Nah he's been the only good forward with Murray for Souths for a long while now. He's just in a shit team.

Not that he is amazing every game but he's had one poor halfback after another every 3 weeks jumping in

He is statistically over every forward picked except Yeo and Haas in average meters and over all of them except Yeo, Haas and Jurbo in tackle efficiency
He has been a virtual tackling bag for just under a year now. Saturday night was EASILY his best game in attack.....looked like the man that started the 2023 season. It takes more than one good game against a horrible team to be selected though.

Woody90

Juniors
Why does it matter that he's off to union? Give me a logical reason why that matters?

I’ll give you 2:

IMO if players are choosing to leave the code they shouldn’t be rewarded with rep jerseys.

It’s also not like the experience he gains this series is going to help the Blues next year.

Woody90

Juniors
Lol what?

Teddy is still the Australian fullback

Literally everyone bar probably a small collection of Roosters fans thought Teddy being picked as Aus fullback last year was a bad choice.

FTR Im not sure I would have dropped him from Origin this year. He was terrible last season and it was ridiculous he was picked over Edwards, but he’s been a bit better this year. I still have him behind Edwards, but picking him this year wouldn’t have been as bad as him getting the nod last year.

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade

Edwards has been better than Teddy for years now, how much longer should he have been picked on reputation? On top of that he's been killing the NSW attack hogging the ball

Exsilium

First Grade
I don’t mind that NSW side at all. It has a good mix of players who can really take it to QLD.

I think Teddy has been in good enough form to warrant selection but he lost his spot to a player whose form has been consistent for years. I think this is good for NSW. Stop picking on tenure and what they “have” done and start rewarding form players.

King hit

Coach

Yeah the Maroons were always nice to DCE. Except for the time he back flipped on the Titans and they punished him for years. Poor bloke copped it hard for 3 years.

soc123_au

Staff member
Lol what?

Teddy is still the Australian fullback
Is he though? Anyone Captaining Australia to a 30 blot loss probably should be looking over their shoulder.

I guess we will miss a penalty or 2 when he slips over and headbutts a stray arm, that will be offset by not having him go all Paul Gallen on every sweep play.

Teddy was a great player for a long time, but it's done now. No idea what the discussions were behind the scenes, but a quiet word from Madge with the suggestion of an announcement that Teddy wanted to concentrate on the Roosters this year would have been the play. It's not like this wasn't coming.

Valheru

Coach
Literally everyone bar probably a small collection of Roosters fans thought Teddy being picked as Aus fullback last year was a bad choice.

FTR Im not sure I would have dropped him from Origin this year. He was terrible last season and it was ridiculous he was picked over Edwards, but he’s been a bit better this year. I still have him behind Edwards, but picking him this year wouldn’t have been as bad as him getting the nod last year.
He would walk in to the QLD team

Valheru

Coach
Is he though? Anyone Captaining Australia to a 30 blot loss probably should be looking over their shoulder.

I guess we will miss a penalty or 2 when he slips over and headbutts a stray arm, that will be offset by not having him go all Paul Gallen on every sweep play.

Teddy was a great player for a long time, but it's done now. No idea what the discussions were behind the scenes, but a quiet word from Madge with the suggestion of an announcement that Teddy wanted to concentrate on the Roosters this year would have been the play. It's not like this wasn't coming.
Yes, he is. He played at FB their last game. Not sure what other metric you would use?

Latest posts