What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Major' raid on league coming

here we go again, the wallabies are getting their arse handed to them , so where do they turn?

Major raid on league coming
By Peter Jenkins in Dublin
November 20, 2006
AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union bosses are likely to launch a massive raid on rugby league to replenish Australia's backline talent after next year's World Cup.

Several top-end Test players - including the highly-paid trio of George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Mat Rogers - will exit the game after the campaign in France, with their departures to free up reserves for poaching some of the NRL's stars.
Wallabies coach John Connolly has bemoaned on the current tour to Europe how Australia already suffers from an alarming lack of backline depth.
And while youngsters on the rise have been earmarked for the long-term future - Australia Schoolboy sensations Kurtley Beale and Quade Cooper among them - there are leading figures who believe the rugby league pool should again be fished for personnel.
ARU managing director Gary Flowers told The Daily Telegraph in Dublin the union's high performance unit was currently discussing rugby league as a potential recruitment ground post-World Cup.
"It is something that we certainly need to look at because there will be a significant turnover after next year's tournament," Flowers explained before the Wallabies took on Ireland at Lansdowne Road this morning.
But he also revealed the approach could be more varied than when the trio of marquee NRL players Rogers, Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuqiri were cherry-picked during a 12-month period from 2002.
Flowers said part of the in-house talks centred on whether the ARU targeted only high-profile NRL players, the next generation at a more junior level, or "a combination of both".
Aware that rugby league identities will accuse the ARU of failing to develop their own nursery - even though the 13-man game stripped rugby union of its best players for almost 90 years - Flowers said that cross-code shifts should be expected in a professional environment.
"That (lack of youth development) is not true. We can legitimately say we are taking care of that side.
"There is the money we put behind the national talent squad program, where between 50 and 80 of the best young kids from 15 to 18 are earmarked.
"We have the under-19 and under-21 programs and now the new national competition which we're banking on as a way to give people an opportunity to develop and come through."
Flowers said resistance from within the rugby community to signing NRL players - the latest of them Ryan Cross, who has joined Western Force in Perth - was also at times ill-informed.
"The thing people sometimes don't appreciate is that if we recruit a rugby league player, we're not taking any money away from community rugby programs," he added.
"A certain amount of money already has to be set aside for players. In fact, if we don't spend it all, it only gets distributed between that existing pool of professional players."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20784808-23217,00.html

its really quite sad( for them) the state of Austrlian Rugby.

I Love this rubbish line they keep producing that Rugby League raided their best players for 90 years. there is a major difference between a governing body going out to sign players due to their own incompetence to grow their game and individual clubs freely signing the best players available.

And maybe if the adminisrators hadnt been to busy lining their own pockets for those 90 years they may have been able to keep some of the players that made them all their money.

I Love some of the quotes in this comeback article, ( and i love the way news ltd create news rather than reporting on it!)

Gallop slams talk of raids
By Dean Ritchie and Peter Jenkins
November 20, 2006
INFLUENTIAL NRL figures last night attacked rugby union's impending raid on rugby league players with chief executive David Gallop describing the move as a "sad" reflection on a desperate ARU.

ARU bosses are poised to chase league players to replenish the Wallabies' backline talent after next year's World Cup.
Several Test players including George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Mat Rogers will exit rugby union after the campaign in France - freeing up reserves for poaching NRL stars.
Melbourne's Billy Slater and the Roosters' Craig Wing - both off contract at the end of next year - would be union's premier targets.
But Gallop was frustrated at the looming raids, saying: "It seems to send a really sad message to the current team and any up-and-coming players. How would you feel if you were a young union back?"
Souths CEO Shane Richardson said rugby union continues to ignore junior development.
"We keep producing the young kids," said Richardson.
"They keep upgrading players to $1 million contracts but where is their development?
"We've got all the great young stars. They've got none.
"Until they put money into development, they'll never get it."
Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said his crop of rookie players could be a union target.
"It is a sad indictment on their system. They're just not bringing the kids through," Cullen said.
"It will be difficult for us to keep all our players."
League manager Alan Gainey said NRL players would only leave for cash.
"They'd only go for the money - nothing else," said Gainey.
"Mat Rogers is coming back, Lote Tuqiri wants to come back. I don't think they're enjoying it very much."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20785196-23217,00.html

aqua_duck

Coach
Thats why the ARU contnue to put on the field a second rate 15 match after match. They can keep raiding league ranks but all you're going to get is someone who'll put the ball over the line for you. Raiding league raks isn't going to improve the wallaby engine room, they're forwarda are weak and pathetic and that's why they struggle game after game. In other countries juniors are developed and coached extensively, more money, more focus etc. The all blacks are the number one team in world rugby at the moment, when's the last time they actively went league poaching?

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
I've always wondered why they stole all the good players from our game...
So sad its not funny... To be a major sport in a sporting nation without a good juniors development is something that shouldn't be laughed at, but frowned upon.

taxidriver

Coach
if any league players go, f**k 'em. the $$ may be better but job satisfaction will go down the pisser as the waste away on a wing, more likely to catch a cold than the ball.

isn't this exactly what we did to union for decades in the past ?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
taxidriver said:
if any league players go, f**k 'em. the $$ may be better but job satisfaction will go down the pisser as the waste away on a wing, more likely to catch a cold than the ball.

exactly. I dont care about any players who go to yawnion for the cash. i dont care if it's lockyer, inglis, smith, minichello or whoeever else they target. we've shown that you can take good players away from us and we continue to be strong and develop, they've shown that they cant seem to do anything themselves.

Any players thinking abotu going to yawnion and using that as a bargaining tool should be told to go there and never come back

Choppies

Coach
:lol: at Union
The pathetic game has nothing.
Their game is dying at a rapid rate. If I were a Union fan I would be very worried about the state of the game.

The Colonel

Immortal
:lol: It is called "Let's take the focus away from the fact our scrum had their arses served up on a plate, well done with a sprig of parsley" and tell everyone our biggest problem is our lack of attacking backs.

Not sure if anyone has taken much notice of their lower grades over the past few months but if you take a keen interest check the credentials of many young kids coming through - many have a rugby union background and smart managers are pushing them across to league....... sure some may go back but a lot will stay.

The "play Union, get to see the World" push can only work for so long.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
From League Unlimited 16/11/2006:

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=12517

Is Union about to raid League again?
Written by: Jeff Wall
16/11/2006

As the Wallabies continue to bumble and fumble their way through Europe, it is hardly surprising there is speculation the Australian Rugby Union will again try to "raid" rugby league to boost its player ranks.

It is therefore somewhat surprising that yesterday's conference of NRL coaches and senior players (with the usual exception of Wayne Bennett) seems to have discussed just about everything except how any raid would be repelled.

Two weeks ago, Daily Telegraph Union writer, Peter Jenkins, said it was "time to raid the NRL again", and the Wallabies fortunes have hardly improved since then.

The 2006 "raid" hardly proved to be spectacularly successful – Clinton Schifcofske left the Canberra Raiders to join the Queensland Reds rugby team, but he did turn 31 last week.

And the Roosters' Ryan Cross switched codes to join the Western Force, but during an eight-year rugby league career he made just one representative team, the City side playing in Origin trial matches.

The raid on Mark Gasnier did not succeed, nor did the earlier attempt to snare Andrew Johns.

But the NRL, and its 16 clubs, should not be complacent. Rugby union is apparently not short of cash, and when you look at the Wallabies' performance this year, the ARU will be under enormous pressure to open its purse.

If that does not concern the NRL then it should.

Despite the new television agreement with Nine, most NRL clubs are not particularly flash financially. But a handful would be able to match a serious offer from the ARU for a top player.

That is unless the NRL came to the party, as it did – through PBL Ltd – when Andrew Johns was being tempted to switch codes.

It is a subject the NRL and the clubs seem reluctant to address, because it inevitably raises questions about the issue most don't want to talk about – the salary cap.

The ARU surely knows that. And it is why Peter Jenkins might get his wish sooner rather than later.

And it is one reason why the Gold Coast Titans' prospects – or any other club's prospects – of securing a return to rugby league by Lote Tuqiri (the most successful convert in the modern era) are not much better than zero!

herbert henry1908 said:
its really quite sad( for them) the state of Austrlian Rugby.
I prefer to call it union or rugby union.
League is a rugby football code as well.

Macca

Coach
I don't really care. For every "star" they poach, Rugby League will produce 2 more.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I honestly think kids should play League even if they wanted to play union. If you play league and agree to switch, you will be paid far more than you would if you simply played union. The reality is though, nobody in their right mind would switch to union for anything other than the following:
Money
The faint hope of getting paid overseas travel
Less games per year

And out of those 3, it really is only the 3rd one is a true reality for most footballers.

The Colonel

Immortal
Not sure if anyone gets RLCM updates. They have a vacancies section. From time to time there are kids who put forward their "resume" in the hope a scout may see it and offer them a chance.

A few kids with a Union background already looking for a start,

But my interests and ability still very much lie in rugby league and any opportunity would be greatly appreciated and definitely rewarded by my on field performances.

I have received offers from various Rugby clubs, but like I said my ability definitely lies in League.

My references are Steve Roach and Anthony Connellan.

Positions include:

1. Half back but also hooker, 5/8 and I'm a goalkicker.

Previous rep honors include:
-2005 Riverview 1st XV (2nd place),(Best & Fairest)
-2006 Riverview 1st XV (Premiers)
-2006 GPS 2nd XV Rugby
-2006 NSW Schoolboys Rugby (2nd place Aust Championships)

I'm 17 and I play rugby union and rugby league in New Zealand.

Rep honours rugby in 2006:
Waikato u18'A's,
Junior Chiefs U18 Development,
Waikato Draft Academy and New Zealand U17s.
League 2006: Waikato Maori U18s (played every minute at National Maori Tournament).

Representative honors are as follows:
2004 - Balmain Tigers under 17’s mid season squad
2005 - Balmain Tigers under 18’s SG Ball cup team.
2006 - Southern District colts under 20’s in Rugby Union
2006 - St George under 21’s inner city club challenge team.

More and more will look to come to league....

http://www.rlcm.com.au/vacancies.shtml

Choppies

Coach
I think one of the reasons of kids leaving Union for League and I have said it for a few years now is the fact that the ARU nowadays would prefer a League player than an ARU junior in the Wallabies.
If I was a Union player I would take this as a huge slap in the face that they would rather pick a player who would have known about Union for 5 minutes and make it to the national team than a player who has poured blood sweat and tears for the game only to be snubbed.
Union players are starting to see the picture and it is filtering down from the top.
It is spelling the end of Australian Union and I can't help but smile.

magpie_man

Juniors
the quality of the players they're poaching is declining every year.
They've recently signed Schifcovske and Cross, next they'll probably get Fitzhenry and Hughes.

Boatharbour

Juniors
Don't you find it funny that the Rugby League players
the Union officials are going after are a far way past
their best ? Ryan Cross has signed with them and now
they are mentioning Wing and Slater who both have
shown inferior form in the past year compared to what
they have shown earlier in their Rugby League Careers.

Latest posts