What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Makes Me SICKKKKKKK!!!

First time I ever drank I think I was 14 or 15...I was out spray painting a mural with my bro Big Hawk on a water tower late at night.....and we had a schoolbag full of beer...and I f**kin hate beer today, but I skulled it back until I was plastered. Good times.

Razor

Coach
im sorry mr professor of substantiation, but are you saying that prolonged exposure to computers does not affect your eye sight.

No it doesn't. Some unsubtantiated studies have shown it does, but it is unlikely to be the case.

Raider_69

Post Whore
actually Razor, its been proven that prolonged periods at a computer can can cause many things, such as Carpel tunnel sydrome and RSI
I know this as i did 20 hours of OH&S for IT last year and had to do an assignment on this very topic

there is a direct correlation between poor eye sight and prelonged use of a computer, but its all dependent on Ergonomics, if you have your system set up to the specifications you can look at all day and have no problems, if its not you can and will begin to have eye sight issues if you have prolonged use.

Bazal

Post Whore
My god, it's not like people are saying parents should allow their kids to get pissed and stumble around blind at 13. But I think it's quiteimportant for parents to introduce their children to alcohol in small amounts at an age where they can be responsible and learn how to drink responsibly. It doesn't matter if someone is 18 or 21, if that is their first experience with alcohol then there is a far greater chance that they will do themselves or others harm. If parents introduce their children to alcohol in controlled circumstances, then chances are the children will keep themselves under control when they do go drinking. Teenagers will be far more likely to drink if their parents tell them they can't, the majority are rebellious by nature and will see it as a way to break free of the constraints the olds are placing upon them, which is a dangerous belief at 14, 15 and 16. They will want to get blind drunk because they see it as a rebellious, cool thing to do. If parents allow a teenager a glass of wine or a beer once or twice a week with dinner, it's far less likely that they will look to rebel through underage drinking. No one is suggesting letting kids get blind drunk and drink to the point it will do them harm, just that it is a good idea to introduce them to alcohol under controlled conditions, rather than an underage party or a crazy nightclub 18th celebration

TooheysNew

Coach
Bazal said:
My god, it's not like people are saying parents should allow their kids to get pissed and stumble around blind at 13. But I think it's quiteimportant for parents to introduce their children to alcohol in small amounts at an age where they can be responsible and learn how to drink responsibly. It doesn't matter if someone is 18 or 21, if that is their first experience with alcohol then there is a far greater chance that they will do themselves or others harm. If parents introduce their children to alcohol in controlled circumstances, then chances are the children will keep themselves under control when they do go drinking. Teenagers will be far more likely to drink if their parents tell them they can't, the majority are rebellious by nature and will see it as a way to break free of the constraints the olds are placing upon them, which is a dangerous belief at 14, 15 and 16. They will want to get blind drunk because they see it as a rebellious, cool thing to do. If parents allow a teenager a glass of wine or a beer once or twice a week with dinner, it's far less likely that they will look to rebel through underage drinking. No one is suggesting letting kids get blind drunk and drink to the point it will do them harm, just that it is a good idea to introduce them to alcohol under controlled conditions, rather than an underage party or a crazy nightclub 18th celebration
That's the major fault in your arguement. It doesn't take getting blind to do them harm. Their bodies aren't capable of dealing with even a small amount of alcohol.

Dani

Immortal
But that small ammount of alcohol is better than them going out and getting blind drunk instead, which face it, the vast majority of young teenagers do.

TooheysNew

Coach
I'm not saying they don't. But at the same time I don't think giving them alcohol is the way to fix it. If they're going to do it they're going to do it.

Razor

Coach
actually Razor, its been proven that prolonged periods at a computer can can cause many things, such as Carpel tunnel sydrome and RSI
I know this as i did 20 hours of OH&S for IT last year and had to do an assignment on this very topic

there is a direct correlation between poor eye sight and prelonged use of a computer, but its all dependent on Ergonomics, if you have your system set up to the specifications you can look at all day and have no problems, if its not you can and will begin to have eye sight issues if you have prolonged use.

Yes using a computer incorrectly can cause RSI, eye problems, etc. But that's if it's used INCORRECTLY. If you drive incorrectly you can be killed, if you ride a bike incorrectly you can be killed.

There is no evidence that if everything is setup right that computers cause eye damage, RSI, or anything else.

Moffo

Referee
Dilmah said:
I'm not saying they don't. But at the same time I don't think giving them alcohol is the way to fix it. If they're going to do it they're going to do it.

it works in France, Italy etc etc. Kids grow up with alcohol and they have hardly any problems with it when they get older. That's a fact I assure you

It'd work

TooheysNew

Coach
We aren't talking about France or Italy. They are completely different cultures. What works for them won't neccessarily work for Australia.

half

Coach
i think people who drink when they are young grow up to have funny shaped heads. just noting

Moffo

Referee
Dilmah said:
We aren't talking about France or Italy. They are completely different cultures. What works for them won't neccessarily work for Australia.

so its not worth trying?

our cultures aren't massively different. The success of European communities integrating into Australian culture is evidence of this

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Don't argue with Moffo... he's a well travelled and wise fella now. ;-)

SirShire

First Grade
Nuffs said:
in NSW it is legal for under 18's to drink at a private house with parental permission

some parents have even sent "permission slips" asking the parents if their under 18 son/daughter can drink at the party. if the cops show up, they have the slips to prove which kids can continue drinking

did you ever want to have a beer with your dad in the middle of summer, while the BBQ was cooking, cicadas chirping, and the swimming pool filled with chlorine?? i bloody well did. he was my role model and i wanted to do wehat he was doing. so he'd give me a beer. then we went to 2. then we went onto 3 for parties. when i turned 16 he bought me 6 packs

I'm in the same boat. I grew up in a family where there was always dad's beer and mum's wine in the back fridge.

It started when I was about 11, just a mouthful of beer at the BBQ, then I got a bit older and graduated to the full tinny. By the time I was 15 I would drink socially at family gatherings, not to any great extent, 2 max. At that stage I never really felt compelled to get smashed.

When I hit 16, I started going to parties alot more and drinking there. I never went heaps overboard, except one or two times when I got off my face. Now, that I'm over 18, it doesn't really bother me heaps. I drink socially when I go out, only really get pissed if the occassion calls for it. After a going to a nightclub, I usually put away about 6-7 beers and back up fine the next morning, I dont drink that night at all, but I still feel in control.

My parents always trusted me with booze. I grew up around it, and returned their trust by not being a dickhead with it. Sure I mucked around sometimes at parties when I was younger, but I guess most young blokes did that when they first started. I knew what to expect when I went out as a teenager. I know alot of people whose parents were tight, and consequently, they drank behind their backs and got off their faces as soon as they saw booze. I always told my olds where I was going, when I'd be home, what I'd drink. I wasn't brought up smashing spirits, so I didn't really feel compelled to drink them when I was younger. If my parents didn't gradually integrate me into drinking socially, things would have gotten messy, I'm sure.

Like it or not, do it or don't, social drinking is heavily embedded into the Australian culture, in particular, the demographic of 17-29 range. Imagine the chaos if kids hitting this age just went nuts on the piss, not knowing the effects of how much they drank on their skills etc. Potentially, very dangerous. I'm happy my olds taught me about it, because it helped me develop my own limitations and standards.

Knightmare

Coach
From personal experience, I think it's important if someone finds their limit early on, so that they can know when to stop. I remember last year at a gathering I got so wasted that I started to spew and my vision was blurred and I couldn't talk straight. I had a hangover the next day and I thought "I'm not going there again" and since then I haven't got into trouble when I've been drinking. I only wish I'd found my limit earlier, so then I could have learnt from an earlier age.
I think this is the point alot of people are trying to make- it's better parents give their kids alcohol from a younger age so they get used to it, to save them going all-out as soon as their legal and getting into trouble. I was very lucky as it was, and unfortunately for alot of people the consequences are much more dire than hurling their guts on someone's floor then feeling like crap the next day.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Razor said:
Yes using a computer incorrectly can cause RSI, eye problems, etc. But that's if it's used INCORRECTLY. If you drive incorrectly you can be killed, if you ride a bike incorrectly you can be killed.

There is no evidence that if everything is setup right that computers cause eye damage, RSI, or anything else.

How many people do you recon have their computer ergonomically sound?
i know the ins and outs of it and even i dont/cant be f**ked making sure everything is sweet...

BTW Sir Shire summed it up perfectly

Razor

Coach
How many people do you recon have their computer ergonomically sound?
i know the ins and outs of it and even i dont/cant be f**ked making sure everything is sweet...

If they don't you can't blame the computer. You blame the person who set it up.

Raider_69

Post Whore
you cant really blame most users either, a very small percentage are aware of the specifications they should set their computer enviroment up in...

Latest posts