What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal Meninga wants international football restored as pinnacle of the game

Last Week

Bench
If you're talking about the fact that Australian administrators constantly shit on international RL then yeah, I will.

Why are you trying to turn this into an Australia bashing thread?

Put shit on Mal by all means, but he is hardly in any sort of control at administration level.

You honestly sound like you're just looking for an excuse to lay the boot into Australia for some reason.

Sinman

Juniors
Origin will lose it's top billing when this current crop of stars retire.. It will probably still be the most marketable product for a while but when Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Inglis, Slater and co finish up the people coming through to replace them as the stars of our game will not all be From Queensland and for that matter Australia and therefore people will look to international games to see the best play the best.. This does not mean Origin won't still be huge but it will start to lose it's place as the pinnacle.. In 3 years time.. after the 2017 world cup.. The top 5 players in the world will may contain players like RTS, Sam Burgess and Shaun Johnson.. This changes things.. I hope though the NRL can see this and look past their current narrow mindedness..

Evil Homer

Staff member
Why are you trying to turn this into an Australia bashing thread?

Put shit on Mal by all means, but he is hardly in any sort of control at administration level.

You honestly sound like you're just looking for an excuse to lay the boot into Australia for some reason.
How is stating facts 'bashing' anyone? Australia cancelled the mid-season test (which last year had strong TV ratings and the biggest crowd for a match in Australia since 2009 despite it being pushed back a day due to flooding) in favor of dedicating the rep weekend to an Origin match. If you don't like that then that's too bad, I don't like it either. The fact is that Australia played a total of one international match this year and there's a good chance that come next year's 4N the Kangaroos won't have played for 18 months. This isn't 'bashing', it's stating facts. The ARLC's attitude towards international RL at present is laughable.

The arlc are f**king hopeless.

But the rfl aren't any better.

Anyone saying mal is part of the reason IRL isn't the pinnacle is laughable. The last time anyone could even argue that IRL was the pinnacle of the game was about 1994 and if anything he was one of the last great figures of that era. If you want to blame anyone it's the architects of super league.

Billythekid

First Grade
bullshit, union has not grown globally at all, it's as it always has been, but gone backwards in aus. apples and oranges comparison really because of it's private school ties being it's "grassroots" and foundation vs the REAL commercial world league lives in...commercial being the operative word around this "logic" you dont' agree with.

You'd have to be delusional to think union hasn't grown at all. Then again you're not the only one here who thinks that so it's not surprising.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Union has grown with money. League will soon have money. The game will grow. A lot of us on here have been dissatisfied for such a long time that we want instant results. But we have to be patient.
I agree, soo will lose its pinnacle stature in a few years. Post wc2017 and the introduction of the strategic plan, irl will boom. The growth union has had in the past few years with the usa, japan, argentina etc. we will have in 10 years time.
Australia shifted the nz match to the end of the year because it was better for them. Just like nz shafted france to tour england. It was better for them.
Pacific tests stay, international window at end of year, more funding in pacific, f**k mal and the arlc!

roughyedspud

Coach
and the pinnicle of international RL was the last world cup in 2013...record attandances,world record crowd for a international and record profit....f**k 1994 and frigging super league...

Last Week

Bench
and the pinnicle of international RL was the last world cup in 2013...record attandances,world record crowd for a international and record profit....f**k 1994 and frigging super league...

Once every 4 years. And it required 12 other nations to build the game up to that point.

Origin is played 12 times in 4 years and produces more money than the RLWC Final. Right ot wrong, it creates more interest and more viewers than any other RL game in the world.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Once every 4 years. And it required 12 other nations to build the game up to that point.

Origin is played 12 times in 4 years and produces more money than the RLWC Final. Right ot wrong, it creates more interest and more viewers than any other RL game in the world.
In two states in Australia.

Last Week

Bench
In two states in Australia.

You're talking about relevance. I'm talking dollars and viewership. Show any state showing other wise and I'll be impressed. (I actually think and Australia vs English WC final in Australia will be the most watched match ever)

Fact, like it or not, Origin matches produce more ratings and revenue then any other RL match in the World. The NRL GF is the only thing that comes close.

Your bitterness is shining through.

Evil Homer

Staff member
You're talking about relevance. I'm talking dollars and viewership. Show any state showing other wise and I'll be impressed. (I actually think and Australia vs English WC final in Australia will be the most watched match ever)

Fact, like it or not, Origin matches produce more ratings and revenue then any other RL match in the World. The NRL GF is the only thing that comes close.

Your bitterness is shining through.
Again, what do you think I am 'bitter' about? If the sport is so small and undeveloped that a match that is only relevant in two Australian states is bigger than the rest of the sport globally then that isn't something to be celebrated, at all, even if you're Australian.

f**king lol.

The pinnacle of IRL was 2013?

I guess all tests will be at Wembley, old Trafford and elland road again then.

What's that? Wigan and hull?

Scubby

Juniors
f**king lol.

The pinnacle of IRL was 2013?

I guess all tests will be at Wembley, old Trafford and elland road again then.

What's that? Wigan and hull?

44k versus NZ was the biggest crowd for a single series test ever. 92k for the series was the highest aggregate for a NZ v GB/Eng test series for over 60 years. That is an average of over 30k per test.

Last time GB played NZ at "Old Trafford" (in the golden era) 1989 it drew 18k and the second test at "Elland Road" drew 13k. Those were the days.

Last Week

Bench
Again, what do you think I am 'bitter' about? If the sport is so small and undeveloped that a match that is only relevant in two Australian states is bigger than the rest of the sport globally then that isn't something to be celebrated, at all, even if you're Australian.

I don't recall me celebrating the fact that a three game interstate series is bigger than any 3 combined international matches.

You and others may not like it, but it is what it is. Origin is currently bigger in terms of dollars and viewers than any other Rugby League match in the world.

44k versus NZ was the biggest crowd for a single series test ever. 92k for the series was the highest aggregate for a NZ v GB/Eng test series for over 60 years. That is an average of over 30k per test.

Last time GB played NZ at "Old Trafford" (in the golden era) 1989 it drew 18k and the second test at "Elland Road" drew 13k. Those were the days.

Oh i guess irl must be at its pinnacle right now after all.

I guess that means you whinging poms can f**k off and stop bitching.

We have origin at its peak AND international footy. Happy days.

Except half of that is a lie. Even your own figures cant hide the fact nz drew bigger crowds in the 50s.

Irl is not the pinnacle of the sport even in the dreary north where more people care about their poxy little town's nonexistent hopes of winning a trophy than internationals, which goes to show the typical hypocrisy of the poms on here. What they need are a few more tests at leigh that arent even on tv. f**king amateurs.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Oh i guess irl must be at its pinnacle right now after all.

I guess that means you whinging poms can f**k off and stop bitching.

We have origin at its peak AND international footy. Happy days.

Except half of that is a lie. Even your own figures cant hide the fact nz drew bigger crowds in the 50s.

Irl is not the pinnacle of the sport even in the dreary north where more people care about their poxy little town's nonexistent hopes of winning a trophy than internationals, which goes to show the typical hypocrisy of the poms on here. What they need are a few more tests at leigh that arent even on tv. f**king amateurs.

Why are you such a wet blanket all of the time?

It doesn't help with pessimists like you always talking the game down.

Much better to be deluded I guess. Its easy to think the games going great if you accept mediocrity or lie to yourself and everyone else.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
It seems like Mal is set to coach the Kangaroos. I believe the team needs a mentor and Mal would be perfect for that role.

Latest posts