What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mal Meninga wants international football restored as pinnacle of the game

RoosTah

Juniors
I hope Mal makes good on his claim, but to be honest until we scale the NRL down to a 16 week comp where each team only plays eachother once internationals are going to suffer.

NEW national coach Mal Meninga will lobby for the revival of Kangaroo tours after revealing how he was inspired by values of league Immortal Arthur Beetson.

Meninga’s marvellous 10-year reign as Queensland coach officially ended on Thursday when the ARL Commission confirmed his appointment as Tim Sheens’ Test successor.

Meninga paid tribute to his special bond with fellow Origin pioneer Beetson.

Thirty-two years after Beetson achieved the rare feat of captaining and coaching at club, Origin and Test level, Meninga is now walking the path forged by his Queensland hero.

Meninga’s appointment as Australian coach came two days after the fourth anniversary of Beetson’s death in 2011.

Beetson’s legacy lives on through Meninga, who on Thursday revealed the personalised Origin letter from “Big Artie” that changed his life.
eninga was a starry-eyed centre celebrating his 20th birthday when 35-year-old Beetson led Queensland in the first Origin game at Lang Park in 1980.

NEW COACH: ‘It’s an honour to coach Roos”, says Meninga

“I hope Artie is looking down on me today pretty proud,” Meninga said. “I’m walking in the footsteps of Arthur and it’s a great honour.

“Not many people get the opportunity to emulate Arthur and it’s so long ago that he achieved this (captaining and coaching club, state and Test teams).

“Artie had a huge belief in me as a young bloke and that belief from someone I admired gave me the confidence to succeed in rugby league.

“Artie used to give the players little messages in envelopes. I remember opening mine before the (first Origin) game and him telling me how proud he was of me and the way I represented my family.

“Artie felt you needed a touch of being a good person and a sense of humility to succeed in rugby league.

“Where I am right now today, as Australian coach, all goes back to Artie’s letters and his belief in me.’’

Beetson became league’s first indigenous captain when he led Australia against France in 1973. He went on to coach Australia in 1983 with a 23-year-old Meninga as his goalkicking centre.

“All the young Queensland kids like myself, Wally Lewis, Gene Miles and Chris Close were in awe of Artie and we loved being coached by him in Queensland and Australian teams,” said Meninga, a south-sea Islander.

“He was such a wonderful person, he really cared about me. He wanted his players to do the best they could. He was very proud of his heritage, as I am with my heritage.’’
eninga will transfer the team-first values that made Queensland an Origin juggernaut to the national team. He embarked on four Kangaroo tours as a player, including the 1990 voyage where he scored his epic series-saving try at Old Trafford, and wants to bring back the prestigious trips.

“As a game, we need to create excitement around the international program. I’d love to see a mini-Kangaroo tour come back,” he said.

“I loved Kangaroos tours, there was some great football played and fun times of mateship and bonding.

“I know it’s a busy calendar but you have to put a carrot out there to get players excited. At the moment the international scene is flagging a bit and I want to help reinvigorate it.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/410096eada8143a11e0d9a7d2c2d0f47

roughyedspud

Coach
He doesn't need to lobby for tours to return...its already been decided tour are returning from 2018..and was decided long before mal chimed im looking to be a forward thinking hero...

roughyedspud

Coach
He doesn't need to lobby for tours to return...its already been decided tour are returning from 2018..and was decided long before mal chimed im looking to be a forward thinking hero...

Last Week

Bench
Well, not quite. There's years for tours to take place but they actually need to be organised and agreed upon by the nations involved.

All the while the tail wags the dog International Rugby League will remain low in the pecking order of the NRL, costing the NRL clubs millions in lost dollars, but they are to short sighted to see the benefits of a properly run international program.

Last Week

Bench
You're the one saying that tours were already returning. I was just saying that Mal wants Australia to be apart of that.

I thought that would make you happy, seeing an Australian official advocating for more test matches. But instead, you're complaining. What a shock.

roughyedspud

Coach
You're the one saying that tours were already returning. I was just saying that Mal wants Australia to be apart of that.

I thought that would make you happy, seeing an Australian official advocating for more test matches. But instead, you're complaining. What a shock.

Id be happy if mal could get his players to commit to playing every year!!

Let the admin staff worry about the schedule....

Half the reason its been such a effing mess is every tom,dick & harry chucks their 2cent in!! Its not mal's,the players,former player,former coaches,aussies,kiwi or pom's job to get involved in the administration of the game....leave it to the admin staff!

Ps you said i should be happy a australia official is advocating tours returning....mals a employee...john grant is a official...theres a difference

Last edited:

Latest posts