What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malcolm Alker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

Is this guy any good? Tell me about him, i.e. in comparison to Newton, Cunningham, Diskin & Higham (and Millard if you must).

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
The Salford fans ADORE him, and scream when he isn't picked for Great Britain. That's all I know :lol:.

bartman

Immortal
He racked up some pretty good stats this year, and seems a solid consistent defender and performer. Many non-Salford (and non-Saints and non-Wigan) fans have rated him the competition's form hooker?

I think he's repped for England before, but probably hasn't been favoured on a GB level over Cunningham or Newton over the years. Diskin and Higham are of the next group coming through, and I suspect will also probably be favoured for rep selection above Alker when the time comes.

Evil Homer

Staff member
He's a good,hard working player and probably Salford's best.I'm not sure he would shine at a bigger club though.

Corbin

Juniors
on Salford i have heard Cliff Beverley is leaving do you know where he is going? i was so disapointed i dont think there was 1 Salford game on Foxtel this year.

Cuchullain

Juniors
Evil Homer said:
He's a good,hard working player and probably Salford's best.I'm not sure he would shine at a bigger club though.

I disagree, I think its a bigger club he needs to goto to progress.
No disrespect to Salford fans.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
In terms of the British hookers in Super League, Cunningham is absolutely miles ahead of the others. He stands apart from them and has done so consistently throughout his career.

The next in line is a very good debate. I personally would go for Alker. He is the player who always shows himself when I watch Salford. For the physical stature of the guy his defending is phenomenal, both in terms of its impact and its volume. He really does get through a ton of work in a game and always tops the Super League rankings for tackling and I can't remember him missing many. His attack is not as deadly however. Potentially this is because he plays for Salford behind some poor forwards. He is lively and his distribution is good. Newton is a better attacking player but completely lets himself down with his appalling discipline, something he has failed to control throughout his career. Newton also misses plenty of tackles because he's always acting the hard man and not concentrating on completing the tackle.

I don't rate Matt Diskin at all. He looks average to me in the Leeds side behind some world class international players. I can imagine him being anonymous in a weaker side. He has no particular strengths and no obvious weakenesses, average all round.

Higham is a great little player, but his best use is from the bench against a tiring defense. His ability to gain metres from quick play the balls is a potentially deadly weapon and I think Wigan will make some truly massive metres next season with Paelaesina(sp?) and co giving him the go forward to work off. His downsides are his defending, which isn't great and his awful passing. Wigan fans should get used to watching their forwards chase the bouncing egg around next season if they are not on top.

I'd love to see Alker given a go at a competitive club and I was amazed that Bradford didn't try to sign him when they needed a hooker. I think Noble is trying to replace Jimmy Lowes with another 'dog' of a competitor, but I think Lowes was unique in so many ways that chasing Newton for those qualities will damage Bradford.

suburbanknight

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
I don't rate Matt Diskin at all. He looks average to me in the Leeds side behind some world class international players. I can imagine him being anonymous in a weaker side. He has no particular strengths and no obvious weakenesses, average all round.

Leeds players player of the season in 2004 as well as the fans player of the year and the Harry Sunderland MOM award in the Grand Final. He would have kicked on from all that if it wasn't for his 9 months out with an injury this year. What was that you were saying about him being average?

Fairleigh Good! said:
Higham is a great little player, but his best use is from the bench against a tiring defense. His ability to gain metres from quick play the balls is a potentially deadly weapon and I think Wigan will make some truly massive metres next season with Paelaesina(sp?) and co giving him the go forward to work off. His downsides are his defending, which isn't great and his awful passing. Wigan fans should get used to watching their forwards chase the bouncing egg around next season if they are not on top.
:lol: 'Higham is a great little player' but can't pass or tackle. How does that work then? Two of the most important disciplines in the game and he can't do either of them but he's a 'great player'? Your constant Saints bias makes me want to hurl.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Cuchullain said:

I think he is a Moran type player - looked a world beater at London but very average at Wigan.Same with Danny Orr.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
suburbanknight said:
Leeds players player of the season in 2004 as well as the fans player of the year and the Harry Sunderland MOM award in the Grand Final. He would have kicked on from all that if it wasn't for his 9 months out with an injury this year. What was that you were saying about him being average?

:lol: 'Higham is a great little player' but can't pass or tackle. How does that work then? Two of the most important disciplines in the game and he can't do either of them but he's a 'great player'? Your constant Saints bias makes me want to hurl.

If Matt Diskin was Leeds best player in any season I will eat my shirt. He is nothing.

Higham is a very useful player from dummy half and will make serious inroads into teams provided the go forward is there. I didn't suggest he couldn't tackle, just that its not one of his better points.

As for my Saints bias, the guy who started the thread asked for comparisons. Cunningham is a lot better than the other British hookers, can you argue with that? He is the only Saints player I mentioned!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
Cunningham is a lot better than the other British hookers,can you argue with that? He is the only Saints player I mentioned!

Tell me you mentioning Higham had nothing to do with the fact that he was a Saints player. He's very ordinary, speed out of dummy half doesn't make you a great player when you clearly can't tackle or pass. The top two skills needed to play hooker are a good passing game and good defence, so how is he a great little player?.

Higham should probably be have been a winger in the mould of Carney, roaming and making dummy half runs in the middle of the field despite his position.

Also Cunningham isn't alot better than other British hookers, he's probably the best atm but he's getting older and Diskin is quickly catching up. It's a shame he was injured because he was headed for big things in 2005. Hopefully he has a better year next year.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Fairleigh Good! said:
If Matt Diskin was Leeds best player in any season I will eat my shirt. He is nothing.

Higham is a very useful player from dummy half and will make serious inroads into teams provided the go forward is there. I didn't suggest he couldn't tackle, just that its not one of his better points.

As for my Saints bias, the guy who started the thread asked for comparisons. Cunningham is a lot better than the other British hookers, can you argue with that? He is the only Saints player I mentioned!

You have a short memory mate,Diskin was a top player in 2004.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
The Salford fans ADORE him, and scream when he isn't picked for Great Britain. That's all I know :lol:.

SO?! Dont MOST fans get p***ed off if a star player gets ignored? Maybe Ricky Stuart ought to IGNORE Nathan Hindmarsh for future Roos games! :roll:

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
Cuchullain said:

Well seeing as our stadium is about to be passed and with sponsorships will generate at least £3 million per year plus TV money, I can only see the Reds as getting bigger, would you think so?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
SalfordRedsWA said:
SO?! Dont MOST fans get p***ed off if a star player gets ignored? Maybe Ricky Stuart ought to IGNORE Nathan Hindmarsh for future Roos games! :roll:

How you could compare Hindmarsh to Alker is beyond me.

Hindmarsh: Best second rower in the world.
Alker: Good, hard working hooker who has at least 3 or 4 people in front of him in the coach's eyes and in terms of talent.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Alker is a good,solid player,but definately not an international.Comparing him to Hindmarsh is like comparing Robinson to Johns.

SFW

Juniors
Cunningham
Newton
Diskin
Godwin
Higham
Henderson
Alker

That would be my order. Alker simply doesn't carry the attacking threat of the other players although he is arguably the best defender of the lot.