What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maloney ----------> Roosters

Micistm

Bench
Well, having watched both NZ networks' sports segment -- is Maloney gone? He said it's 50/50 -- and that he wants it all sorted in the next two weeks, or even this week.

Yeah, I heard that too...reading between the lines it sounds like highest bidder.
I know that's business, but that saddens me, I would've thought he had at least an attachment to the Warriors rather than it being a flip of the coin. If it goes too high pricewise thats the way it goes.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Well, having watched both NZ networks' sports segment -- is Maloney gone? He said it's 50/50 -- and that he wants it all sorted in the next two weeks, or even this week.

I saw that..it was a throwaway line at a question he didn't feel comfortable answering. I didn't get a feeling either way, he just wanted the reporter to drop it.

If he announces it early, great. Then it can be done and dusted pre-season, and forgotten about by March. But either way, Ivan's move was announced in the second half of the season and that was purportedly going to derail our campaign - how did that work out? It's professional sport. The players are well accustomed to it.

I'm sure he will always have an attachment to the Warriors. But he has a bigger attachment to his wife and family. They're his focus. Good luck to him either way. He'll make a decision based on himself and them, just as anyone would. If he decides to go and gives his all in 2012, his last year at the club, then I will bid him a fond farewell. Disappointed to see him go, obviously, but with best wishes.

blain

Juniors
He made a good point the other day, at the Warriors he has to travel every 2 weeks for 3 days, and when you have a bub and another on the way, it wouldnt be easy going away for any period of time. If you were in Sydney, then you might leave the city once every 4 weeks or so.

I think the club have done the right thing, given him a nice offer, and just see what happens. I would hold no grudges at all to Maloney, he's done the club well and could have thrown a fuss when we took up the option for next year when he said he would like to go home, but to his credit hes sticking it out and it hasnt effected his game which is the main thing. If he goes to Souths, thats a different story :D

We could have a Wiki/Price thing if he re-signs along with TL coming haha.

It really does off set it that we have TL coming in 2013, its nice knowing we have a quality half replacing James if he does go.

rascal_larewind

Juniors
With all due respect to TL, and I do think he's a great player, but Maloney is definitely on the ascent whereas TL is not. I would love Maloney to stay but I think he wants to be the alpha dog, and I don't think he can be that if he continues to play along side SJ.

hitman82

Bench
The Warriors' worst fears have been realised.

Key standoff James Maloney has confirmed he'll be leaving the New Zealand club at the end of the next NRL season.

The 25-year-old was a pivotal part of the Warriors' success in making the Grand Final in 2011, with many believing he was a genuine Dally M contender.

He's confirmed he'll finish his NRL career in Australia from 2013, but wouldn't reveal for who that would be.

Maloney played 51 games for the Warriors after making his club debut in 2009.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/12048130/warriors-worst-fears-realised/

Izz

Bench
I may have to boo him while he's kicking non-essential goals (i.e. when we're already leading by 30) :D

Nah. But when he visits in 2013...

ETA: in all seriousness, i'm glad he's got this out of the way well before the season starts.

Wonder where he'll end up. I know the Rabbits and Roosters have been publicly hunting him, but i wonder if the Panthers are an outside chance.

Warmess

Juniors
Lol, why do some people get so butt hurt when someone leaves the club?

Good luck to him. Been a good servant to the Warriors and I hope he kills it this year too. Family always comes first and he's always said as much.

Meth

Staff member
Lol, why do some people get so butt hurt when someone leaves the club?

Good luck to him. Been a good servant to the Warriors and I hope he kills it this year too. Family always comes first and he's always said as much.

Who's butt hurt?

I sympathize with his reasons for wanting to return to Australia. I hope he goes well next year.

But I don't think he's been a great servant to the club. Lance Hohaia has been a great servant to the club. I think the club has been a great servant to James Maloney.

Micistm

Bench
Disappointed he's going, he's been good for us...but can't begrudge him. He's launched his career by going well, he wants to go home, and has done things the right way. He's not getting out of his contract or doing a SBW by pledging loyalty and ****ing off anyway. He's sorted it quick and let everyone know. So what can you say here?
I'd have preferred he stay, but life goes on. I wish him the best once he leaves, apart from when he's playing us!

Micistm

Bench
Who's butt hurt?

I sympathize with his reasons for wanting to return to Australia. I hope he goes well next year.

But I don't think he's been a great servant to the club. Lance Hohaia has been a great servant to the club. I think the club has been a great servant to James Maloney.

I think that's a little harsh. The Warriors offered him a deal, he took it. Had he sucked it's a safe bet the Warriors would have declined to extend his contract. In this case, he's played well enough to secure some deals close to his family where he & his wife want to return to, and so he's declined to extend the contract.
Of course it's a case of using each other, but it is 50/50.

But you're right about Lance, he epitomises team player probably more than anyone else IMO.

devoid

Juniors
Will it be Steggles Maloney, or Cat's Arse Maloney? Damn. He has been a great little Warrior so far. Good on him for being open about it for so long and getting it out of the way.

Meth

Staff member
I think that's a little harsh. The Warriors offered him a deal, he took it. Had he sucked it's a safe bet the Warriors would have declined to extend his contract. In this case, he's played well enough to secure some deals close to his family where he & his wife want to return to, and so he's declined to extend the contract.
Of course it's a case of using each other, but it is 50/50.

But you're right about Lance, he epitomises team player probably more than anyone else IMO.

Yeah, again, I don't think I'm being anti-Maloney. I got accused of being 'butt hurt'. I'm not. I'd just rather reserve the superlatives about service to the club for guys that do a little bit more than use the club as their launching pad.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Who's butt hurt?

I'm in line with this. If anything I hope he goes to Souths and then spends 3 years missing the 8, he's made his decision so like Meth said after next season I couldn't care less how his career goes. Great servant? He will have played 3 seasons for us.

Micistm

Bench
Yeah, again, I don't think I'm being anti-Maloney. I got accused of being 'butt hurt'. I'm not. I'd just rather reserve the superlatives about service to the club for guys that do a little bit more than use the club as their launching pad.

Yeah, that's probably fair point. I have to admit feeling a little stung inside he doesn't feel a connection to the club that started him off in first grade. Maybe I'm not wording that right...but you know what I mean.