What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malta v Portugal

roopy

Referee
Malta are a very strong side already.
I watched them demolish Japan earlier this year and they did it in first gear.

After their tournament in Malta they will presumably have worked out which England based players and which locals might boost the side and I really think they can put together a side that will be very useful for leadup games to the world cup.
Presumably lots of sides will be looking for warmup games, and Malta is a Sydney based side that will give many of the sides that do make the cup a bloody good hitout.

thommo4pm

Coach
Sammut was a class above, and basically played at 5/8 for Malta in attack.
He impressed with his passing and short kicking game.
His goal kicking was sensational also.

There were no programmes handed out, well I didn't get given one anyway....but number 14 for Malta (don't know his name), geez he impressed....blinding speed, and lovely touches with the ball.

Portugal's lock was also quite impressive...don't know his name either sorry.
A programme would have been handy.

Issac De Gois didn't play for Portugal, he was running the water for them, but Portugal were way too small and unfit, no offence meant.
Malta actually looked very fit and strong.
Nice little crowd there too at St Marys.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
de Gois running the water for Portugal? If he was playing, the scoreline would not of been such a blow out.

thommo4pm

Coach
I think it would have been just as bad.
He wouldn't have stopped what malta were doing all across the park.
Possibly would have helped in attack, but he can't defend for everybody.

Malta also took Sammut off when the score got out to 50-6, I think there was about 23minutes to go at that stage, then he came back on with 3 minutes to go and scored the last try.
If he stayed on they probably would have won by more.

roosterman57

Juniors
de gois is injured so he couldnt play. programmes were handed out. and that was the first time some of our players even met (portugal) so it was hard to have some cohesion, but was still alot of fun to play. good atmosphere out there at st marys. if the portugal team stick together and get some training sessions together as a team things should start to work in the years to come. malta have huge things to look forward to.

thommo4pm

Coach
Were you involved with the team Roosterman57?
Who was the number 13 for Portugal, he looked the goods.

I got there to the ground right on kick off but didn't get a programme, they may not have expected such a big turnout then I guess, and possibly ran out of them...not sure.
Either way, you are right, if the blokes who played for Malta all stick with Malta then yes they have some promising signs moving forward.

roosterman57

Juniors
yea i was on the wing. im only 18 so to play in a game like that was real fun. we have a fair few teenagers in our team. number 13 was our captain Gabrielle. Not sure who he plays for other than Portugal but yeaaa he goes well.

thommo4pm

Coach
Well congrats to you and the other blokes who took part for Portugal.
I thought they were going to get away from you guys big time in the second half, but you actually stayed with them for the majority of the second half.
Score of 22-6 in the second half wasn't too bad, given they also scored right on full time too.

Which number were you wearing?
I can still picture the wingers in my head from your side last night.

roosterman57

Juniors
i was number 2.
wish the ball had come out a bit more.
but then again we had not really trained together so in attack it was really hard.
i think we have a fixture with japan early next year so we should be alot better prepared then.
meeting all the blokes was good. seem like a good bunch of guys. everyone gets along well and are keen to stick together and get something good started.
oh and i must say the cheerleaders werent too bad ;) lol

thommo4pm

Coach
lol...can't disagree about the cheerleaders they were very nice.
Do you know where the fixture against Japan will be?
I'll be there for that game too if it's local.

Not a bad result for you guys if you hadn't even trained together, coming up against a very sharp looking Maltese team.
Hope all of you stay together and keep working at promoting the game for Portugal. :D

roosterman57

Juniors
im not quite sure where the Japan game would be but im guessing sydney as most of the team is sydney/south coast based. we are goin in the 7's tournament at st marys next yr and also the illawarra 7's. after i finished the hsc ill definately be more keen to get to training and so on, so im looking forward to next year with the team.

Latest posts