What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manchester Lions

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
The RFL like bonds. They even changed the 2018 Challenge Cup winners to post a bond to enter this years Challenge Cup after the disappointing crowd at the final, but strangely didn't ask the runners up.
With Warrington winning the challenge cup this season in front of another very average crowd i would expect them to be asked to post a bond for next years challenge cup.
Good point about the runners up not being asked to post a bond. Hadn’t thought of it that way.

Championship club for sale

Swinton Lions’ outgoing chairman Andy Mazey has confirmed the club is for sale following the mass resignation of directors, report League Express.

All but one of the board – club employee and long-term supporter Steve Wild – stepped down earlier this month following the fallout from the proposed name change to Manchester Lions. Mazey told League Express: “I’m gong to hand over a revised budget for 2020 and hand over to Steve. There’s no change at the moment – the trust haven’t stepped forward with a plan or board, but the club is now effectively on the market.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...stin-injury-boost-championship-club-for-sale/

The fact of the matter is that the fans who didn't want to see the name change from Swinton Lions to Manchester Lions have affectively killed their own club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The last Swinton board resigned because a number of fans didn’t want a name change. Why would a consortium wishing to take a Manchester team into the league buy into that?

Because they can. End of day they will lose most of the handful of Swinton fans that are left but given the state of the club its no big loss and with no local ties they shouldnt give a damn if some peopel are upset. Why would they? Because its an existing license they can pick up and move without needing the RFL's blessing or bond. They looked at this before but wee told by the then board that there was no way Swinton would rebrand so they are clearly not averse to this. End of day if someone doesn't come in Swinton Lions are dead and buried anyway.

The Daddy3

Juniors
Because they can. End of day they will lose most of the handful of Swinton fans that are left but given the state of the club its no big loss and with no local ties they shouldnt give a damn if some peopel are upset. Why would they? Because its an existing license they can pick up and move without needing the RFL's blessing or bond. They looked at this before but wee told by the then board that there was no way Swinton would rebrand so they are clearly not averse to this. End of day if someone doesn't come in Swinton Lions are dead and buried anyway.

I hope your right but I just don't see that happening. In an ideal situation we should end up with a healthy and ambitious Manchester club, whether that's as Manchester Lions or Manchester Rangers. I think what will happen is someone will come in to save Swinton and they'll limp on, just about managing to survive at the bottom of the Championship or in League One.
I must say though, initially I sympathized with Andy Mazey but now that the dust has settled I hold him accountable in the sense that he should have seen the name change through, so what if people call you names that was bound to happen given the history of the club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope your right but I just don't see that happening. In an ideal situation we should end up with a healthy and ambitious Manchester club, whether that's as Manchester Lions or Manchester Rangers. I think what will happen is someone will come in to save Swinton and they'll limp on, just about managing to survive at the bottom of the Championship or in League One.
I must say though, initially I sympathized with Andy Mazey but now that the dust has settled I hold him accountable in the sense that he should have seen the name change through, so what if people call you names that was bound to happen given the history of the club.

Depends on how serious the abuse was to be fair. If you’ve volunteered countless hours and poured in sheds of your own money I can see why you’d get the hump if the fans turned on you in this way. It’s a shame as I think it was the best hope of the lions name to thrive, now it will be lucky to survive,

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Weren't Salford also thinking of rebranding to Manchester? Salford could rebrand and be the red half and someone buy the Swinton licence and rebrand and be the blue half.