What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly could miss 14 players through injury and suspension

Slackboy72

Coach
Would be interesting to know how non-manly and non-Dragons fans feel about the poor sea eagles plight.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27669189-5018866,00.html

Manly could miss 14 players through injury and suspension
By Dean Ritchie
September 07, 2010
It's almost enough to set aside fans' traditional animosity toward the NRL's most hated club.

The Des Hasler-coached Manly Sea Eagles will face a red-hot St George Illawarra as the most weakened side ever to enter a league finals series.

The Sea Eagles have a staggering 14 players either already out or in doubt for Sunday's qualifying final against the minor premiers at Kogarah.

Effectively, Manly could take the field minus an entire football team.

The situation is so dire the Sea Eagles cannot train today and will only have a brief swimming session.

Bookmakers have posted them as $34 outsiders to win the premiership, with the Dragons tightening into $2.50.

Such is the Sea Eagles' plight, Manly captain Jamie Lyon has declared a win on Sunday will rank among the greatest in his club's 63-year history.

On a day the one-time Silvertails' title hopes slumped:

* THREE Manly players were charged by the NRL match review committee -- Steve Matai, Jason King and Chris Bailey. Matai is looking at a suspension of either seven or nine matches;

* FIVE-EIGHTH Kieran Foran (shoulder) was ruled out for the season, joining Glenn Stewart (suspended) and injured trio Brett Stewart, David Williams and Shane Rodney; and

* REPRESENTATIVE back-rower Anthony Watmough confirmed he is in grave doubt for the final with an ankle injury, while inspirational captain Jamie Lyon is also battling a painful ankle injury.

Matai, who knocked out Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis with a late tackle, is expected to plead guilty and be banished for seven games, while King may fight a one-match suspension for a high tackle.

Bailey will be free to play after an early plea.

ARL CEO Geoff Carr said Matai could serve some matches in the Four Nations series if selected in the New Zealand squad.

King is also carrying an ankle injury while Matt Ballin (concussion), Brent Kite (collarbone), Joe Galuvao (groin) and Ben Farrar (shoulder) are fighting to play.

The logical replacement for Matai, Toyota Cup star Dean Whare, is also unavailable due to injury.

Manly's despair comes as the Dragons easily claimed the minor premiership and had the luxury of resting four players for Sunday night's match against Souths.

Asked would an against-the-odds win be one of Manly's finest, Lyon said: "I think so. It will be a great win if we can do it. It is a great opportunity. It's a final so there aren't many bigger challenges.

"It will be a massive task but we are capable of beating anyone on our day. Everyone expects the Dragons to win so there won't be much pressure on us.

"It's going to be a bit of a nervous wait (for the injured players).

"We have got a few out but we're confident in the players we have available.

"We don't know exactly who's in or who's out at the moment.

"We probably won't know for a few days yet. We could well have quite a few out.

Patorick

Staff member
They don't/won't care.

Karma, they'll say.

But if it was they're team with all these players out, you'd hear about it till the end of days.

In my opinion.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
Just a pathetic attempt to get others to have a dig at Manly cause you don't have the balls to do it yourself.
Grow a set you spineless f**k.

mw47se

Juniors
They don't/won't care.

Karma, they'll say.

But if it was they're team with all these players out, you'd hear about it till the end of days.

In my opinion.

Yes our players play "reckless" and arent as discipline as other teams, but we will try our guts out, make sure of that...i still think we have a slight chance....

Nothing to lose attitude and the dragons should not think it will be an easy game...

if we can score first and have them second guessing thier non-talent then it will be fun, cant wait

Tiger Hawk

Bench
I'd rather watch a finals match played between two teams at full strength, just increases the watchability. Still, it's Manly so f**k em.

Paullyboy

Coach
It's just embarassing that they made the finals, they are clearly a LONG way behind the rest of the teams in the 8. Unfortunately, that's what you get when the 9th best team qualifies though.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
IF Manly win this (and clearly they won't) it would be the biggest upset in finals history. Now that something big enough for even a dragon to choke on.

Dragons sure got lucky this year.

Dammit I hate it when I have to cheer for Manly.

Agreed. They were dead set sh*tting themselves at the prospect of facing their bogey team in the finals. Now thanks to Manly losing...they get to play a 2nd string Manly.

I still think the Eagles can win somehow though.

Gaba

First Grade
Agreed. They were dead set sh*tting themselves at the prospect of facing their bogey team in the finals.
The dragons are the raiders bogey team in the finals, they havent beaten the dragons yet.

And it been 10 years since the raiders won a finals game, not a good hoodoo for the raiders

Slackboy72

Coach
Look don't get me wrong, I don't hate Manly like some do. I am however happy that matai got pulled up for his grubby ways. But for the list given in the article there was nothing there, apart from the suspensions, that every other team in the eight hasn't had to deal with already this year. Yeah it has all culminated at exactly the wrong time for Manly but the article was rubbish trying to build up one side as underdogs because of circumstance rather than form.

Latest posts