What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly FC funding cut

Sugar

Bench
Manly Daily
13 January 2007

Adam Lucius

Millionaire Sea Eagles owner Max Delmege has angrily clashed with licensed club boss Paul Cummings after the leagues club drastically cut its funding to the NRL side eight weeks out from the 2007 season.

It's understood the Manly League Club will tip in around $500,000 this year - a 50% reduction on the $1million it injected in 2006.

While the funding cut will have no immediate effect on the football team, three administrative staff members have already accepted reduncancy packages as a result of immediate belt tightening.

Cummings, the League Club chairman, has made no apology for the move, indicating the days of large grants from his organisation were over.

He said the onus was on Manly's majority shareholders - Max Delmege and Scott Penn to ensure the football club was sufficiently funded.

"The club is operated by two private businessmen and what they do is their own business", Cummings said yesterday.

"It's not up to us to build up the coffers of the two owners. Max and the Penns bought the company and one would think they'd run it in a way that costs the least amount of money. If they can't run their budgets properly that's got nothing to do with us."

But Delmege, who estimates he has poured in $10 million to keep the Sea Eagles afloat, last night claimed the licensed club had stabbed its sister organisation in the back.

"When the second shareholder (Penn) came aboard they promised to maintain their funding at a certain level, so to renege on that is not only rough but its wrong," Delmege said.

"As someone who has spent around $10 million and came to the rescue of the football club, I find the leagues club's move very disappointing," Delmege said.

"And it's especially disappointing when they can afford it. The leagues club was borne out of the football club to help fund the football club."

Cummings revealed the licensed club faced its own battles as increased poker machine tax, new smoking laws and competition from rival clubs continued to hit hard. And he issued a stinging response to suggestions the leagues club had kneecapped the football club. "I'd be a little disappointed if people are putting out rumours that we're not paying our way because that's not true," Cummings said.

"We are paying our propagation. It varies from year to year .... it goes up and it goes down. If anyone says anything different you'd have to put the letters L I A R in front of it.

The Leagues Club has given 85% of its profits over the past 15 years to the football club. The leagues club doesn't have to stand up to anybody, it's proven itself over the years.

We've had a couple of lean years but no one at the leagues club is talking about cutting propagation.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer was pragmatic about the funding cut, saying "We've just got to deal with the cards we've been dealt and look at alternative revenue streams.

But it's business as usual for the football team".

innsaneink

Referee
But Delmege, who estimates he has poured in $10 million to keep the Sea Eagles afloat, last night claimed the licensed club had stabbed its sister organisation in the back.

"When the second shareholder (Penn) came aboard they promised to maintain their funding at a certain level, so to renege on that is not only rough but its wrong," Delmege said.

"As someone who has spent around $10 million and came to the rescue of the football club, I find the leagues club's move very disappointing," Delmege said.

Shoulda got it in writing, Max. [-X

t-ba

Post Whore
Manly needs to learn to survive without Leagues club grants. Simple as that. Hopefully this move sees the club engage in more creative ways to raise revenue.

t-ba

Post Whore
I believe Manly FC is the name of a club in the State Soccer League btw...

Stagger eel

Staff member
t-ba said:
Manly needs to learn to survive without Leagues club grants. Simple as that. Hopefully this move sees the club engage in more creative ways to raise revenue.

exactly..and i thought original reasoning behind the clubs move to privatise half it's stake is for the exact reasons you've just pointed out...so why has Maxy boy lashed out??

I guess this is the reason why Manly have suddenly developed an opposing view to the National U20's comp.

Stagger eel

Staff member
t-ba said:
I don't just mean Manly btw...

yes yes...we know Peters keeps harping on it as if it's be all end all way of going about it but at the end of the day all the clubs we always come up with 10 or 12 mill it'll take to run it each season...pokie tax or no pokie tax.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Why does a leagues club exist if not to support it's team. Why else would it be there? I don't understand why anyone would privatise their leagues club. It should be owned by the football club, and if they don't need the money it raises it should be spent on local footy.

Quidgybo

Bench
Weren't Souths Leagues threatened with the loss of their special tax status because they weren't making grants to support football? I'm not suggesting that Manly Leagues has or is going to stop funding football operations completely but like all League's clubs, they have a priviledged legal position in the community precisely because of their support of sport. If they stop or substaintially downgrade thier support of sport in the community then their priviledged position and legal status should also be reviewed.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now I'm really confused! I thought the Leagues clubs belonged to the NRL clubs and funded them? Do some league clubs not have ownership by the NRL club? ( I guess so having read the article). I thought the reason Leagues clubs existed was to fund RL? I am very surprised that the State Govt doesn't have a law that Leagues clubs HAVE to fund sport upto a certain amount of profit given the tax breaks and other concessions they get.

t-ba

Post Whore
Copa said:
More dirt hills in their stadium will bring the fans in...

Sixth best home crowd average of 2006 in one of RL's smallest catchments...thanks for the update Copa.

They're planning to build a new grandstand above the hill, Can we sign you up for a vigil at Warringah Councils offices?

t-ba

Post Whore
aarondoyle said:
Why does a leagues club exist if not to support it's team. Why else would it be there? I don't understand why anyone would privatise their leagues club. It should be owned by the football club, and if they don't need the money it raises it should be spent on local footy.

They're a legacy from the 1950's. They need to leave the game like unlimited tackle counts and part-time squads.

joshreading

Staff member
I think that NRL clubs need to become indepenant financially of leagues clubs however I think that all the money that goes into NRL clubs should be sunk into junior League. Junior RL could be the best funded sport in Australia.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraboy said:
Say goodbye to Lyon!!!
You won't be able to pay his wage now.

Money's not issue at Manly, 500K in the scheme of things isn't a big deal at all.