What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly may win but Williams and Matai are gone

Will the Manly boys miss the grand final?

• Yes.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • No, nothing in them.

Votes: 46 44.2%

• Total voters

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-Rex would cop a grade 1, the question is does he have any carry overs???..Manly fans??

Matai is in a spot of bother me thinks..grade 2 at the very least.

Lowdown

Juniors
Williams will get charged with a grade 1 but with a guilty plea he'll play. Matai will get charged and will miss the GF. He'll appeal and it will dominate the media this week but he'll still miss it. It was a copy book knees in the back and needs to go.

I though that was a farce imo. Round 24 2009 wasn't it?

Late in the season against Parra, was on Luke Burt. Made almost no contact and copped 3. If that was a 3 week ban, Hayne (09 prelim), Smith (origin this year) and Matai (last night) all deserve at least 5 weeks (all were much worse than his). Although it appears the more contact you make, the better off you are.

God-King Dean

Immortal
rofl you're scraping the bottom of the barrell now ceagle.

Matai led with the knees & will be charged. Come to peace with it.

ceagle

Bench
Late in the season against Parra, was on Luke Burt. Made almost no contact and copped 3. If that was a 3 week ban, Hayne (09 prelim), Smith (origin this year) and Matai (last night) all deserve at least 5 weeks (all were much worse than his). Although it appears the more contact you make, the better off you are.
Wasn't he only heading for a 1 game ban but challenged it? I remember the tackle because I was at that game, I thought it didn't even deserve the penalty try.

Garts

Bench
I thought Williams had more to worry about than Matai. I thought his was nothing at the time. Not much can be done sometimes to avoid contact. Sure maybe he should have tried to avoid another way but it all happen so quickly. From the reaction on here looks like he might be in strife. Sh!t. No doubt there will be a media circus all week till the hearing.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Scarping the barrel, Cam Smith lead with his knees and wasn't charged.

How is that scraping the barrel?

No one gets suspended in Origin.

Hayne did it & was charged. Same will happen to Matai.

Pointing out the judiciary's stupidity/inconsistency won't change the fact Matai led with the knees.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I thought Williams had more to worry about than Matai. I thought his was nothing at the time. Not much can be done sometimes to avoid contact. Sure maybe he should have tried to avoid another way but it all happen so quickly. From the reaction on here looks like he might be in strife. Sh!t. No doubt there will be a media circus all week till the hearing.

I'm the opposite. I thought there was barely anything in the Williams tackle. Came up off the chest/shoulder.

Noa

First Grade
Of course the NRL will still wait half the week before they even have to face the judiciary.

Amazing the incompetence of Gallop and his band of merry half-wits.

Garts

Bench
I'm the opposite. I thought there was barely anything in the Williams tackle. Came up off the chest/shoulder.

I thought it looked pretty bad at the time but I guess he is a giant of a man as well. Hope it did hit the shoulder first. I guess I did not think of Matai's being anything major as you seem to see so much of other players doing it week in, week out with no issue. However the match review panel and judiciary are not known for consistency. If it was a player with a clean record or relatively clean record they would be fine. Wont be the case with Matai.

Cletus

First Grade
I thought Williams might be in some trouble but after watching it there's nothing in it. He doesn't have a clenched fist and it comes off the shoulder, grade 1 at worst. Matai might be in a bit of trouble for his knees though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws2zHOKmgUs

Last edited:
According to NRL.com; it looks like Matai will miss the grand final but T-rex will be free to play.

Any charge will sideline Matai for NRL GF

Serial offender Steve Matai faces being rubbed out of next weekend's NRL grand final with any charge for his knees-first effort on Brisbane's Jharal Yow Yeh.

The Sea Eagles centre is staring at the possibility of missing the decider after he was placed on report for a 65th minute incident in Friday night's 26-14 win over Brisbane at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Matai appeared to collect Yow Yeh with his legs as the Broncos winger was attempting to score a try in the right corner.

Manly coach Des Hasler said the incident only warranted a penalty but the Kiwi international faces a nervous wait for the NRL match review committee to look at it on Monday.

The renowned hitman has a long rap sheet at the judiciary and points generated by that will conspire against him even if he only cops a grade one dangerous contact charge.

In that case his only hope would be to fight the charge and be exonerated at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.

According to rugby league statistician David Middleton, three "non-similar offences" over the past two seasons and carry-over points from a suspension for a round 16 high tackle on St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale will result in a one-match ban for Matai even if he takes an early guilty plea.

While Matai is in grave danger of joining the likes of Cameron Smith, Carl Webb and Luke Ricketson in missing grand finals, team-mate Tony Williams is likely to play at ANZ Stadium on Sunday week.

The bullocking backrower, who was near unstoppable against Brisbane, was booked for a high shot on Yow Yeh just two minutes before the luckless winger was collected by Matai.

Williams' good record means, even with a grade two charge, he could play with an early plea.

It's not all bad news for the Sea Eagles, with forwards Glenn Stewart and Darcy Lussick to return from bans for their parts in the ugly brawl with Melbourne players at Brookvale Oval four weeks ago.

"Getting them back's huge," Sea Eagles five-eighth Kieran Foran said.

"(Stewart's) probably been one of the best players in the comp all year so getting him back on that right edge definitely adds a lot to the side.

"Getting Darcy back too, he filled in there when Kingy (co-captain Jason King) got injured and he was doing a great job there.

"It will just be wonderful to get them back."

Foran had his own run-in with the whistleblowers on Friday night, referee Shane Hayne at one point saying he'd had a "gutful" of the classy half.

Asked if he needed to rein in his questioning of the officials, Foran said: "Probably. I don't say anything rude to them, I just question their decision sometimes.

"They were great out there tonight.

"They probably just get sick of me being in their ear trying to change their decision."

http://www.nrl.com/any-charge-will-sideline-matai-for-nrl-gf/tabid/10874/newsid/64966/default.aspx

Latest posts