What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly on the whinge

Packy

Bench
Justified, publicity stunt or are they just petulant sooks?

Seems to me that they are the most likely to worry about what other teams are doing.

Harden up, move on and get over it or people won't forget about your 09 season of field.

discuss

Newcastle Cow

Live Update Team
I certainly aint no Manly fan but somewhat justified. I feel for Brett Stewart, has been an ordinary couple of years for him where he copped (and probably continues to cop from some quarters) a lot that he didn't deserve. All becasue it looks like some young girl and her family made something up. I understand that the NRL had to look like they were doing something but innocent till proven guilty and all that...those kind of allegations are easy to make. What if before the grand final this year someone makes those sort of allegations about one of the grand finalists star players.....

Having said all that theres a fair bit of publicity stunt in there too. "See even the NRL hates us". Typical Manly.

adamkungl

Immortal
They are right to demand an apology and their $100,000 back. The NRL are f**ked. Stewart deserves an apology. But he won't get it.

Any calls for Carney and Marshall to be suspended just because they got it wrong with Stewart are nonsense.

Keffola

Juniors
Manly haven't called for the Carney or Marshall to be suspended though, they are definitely support the decision not to suspend them.

What they want for Brett is an apology in the way the NRL treated him. 4 weeks suspension and a 100k fine for the club was just over the top.

dogslife

Coach
I must admit I haven't cared enough to keep up with this story but has Marshall actually denied hitting the bloke? If not I can't fathom why the nrl hasn't taken action against him. I think Manly are well within their rights to blow up over this, i'd be demanding an apology from the nrl at the very least, seems Stewart got a raw deal and Marshall is getting a free pass

Dragon Dave

Bench
At this time of the year, when all players and coaches should be completely focussed on football, I think it's pretty petulant from Des.

Yes, they may have been dealt with harshly, but what positive is it going to have on his side with 4 days until they run out for their first game?

We all know Des loves a sook.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
The cases are far from similar, so the results should not be similar.
If the roles were reversed it would still be the same...Tigers whinge - Manly silent.

Gaba

First Grade
Manly haven't called for the Carney or Marshall to be suspended though, they are definitely support the decision not to suspend them.

What they want for Brett is an apology in the way the NRL treated him. 4 weeks suspension and a 100k fine for the club was just over the top.

Manly should have done the complaining in private

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
I must admit I haven't cared enough to keep up with this story but has Marshall actually denied hitting the bloke? If not I can't fathom why the nrl hasn't taken action against him. I think Manly are well within their rights to blow up over this, i'd be demanding an apology from the nrl at the very least, seems Stewart got a raw deal and Marshall is getting a free pass

He is going to contest the charge ...so I figure that means he says he didn't do it.

The bloke probably asked for it.
The prior footage albeit very short and blurry shows Benji to be getting hassled ...he seems to be sober and handling the attention well.
Then who knows what happened?

All the same I can see Manlys side as well.
100k is heaps.

other clubs have been pressured to stand down blokes for stuff.
Manly didn't stand down Stewart ...so the NRL did.
That is the only way I can see it regardless of what dribble Gallop reckons.

t-ba

Post Whore
What exactly did we do too the bears again? Besides, you know, offering the least predatory merger terms to a club kicked out of the NRL and in ADMINISTRATION. I'm sure the bears would love to have their only NRL legacy being a blue and gold side in Parramatta called the Bears or just being completely swallowed by the Knights.

The more I think about this, the more I think we should get the 100k back atleast.

boxhead

First Grade
Three things;

1. What do they honestly hope to accomplish by bringing it up two years later?

2. Are they even considering that maybe everyone, including Brett, has moved on?

3. Are they that f**king stupid?

One of the most moronic things I have ever seen from club management. And Dessie having a whinge isn't a surprise either.

Ram Man

Juniors
Yes it was harsh what happened to Stewart and they probably should get their $100k back, but the timing form Penn, Lowe and that idiot Hasler is pretty ordinary.

We should be talking about footy, not who deserves a f***in apology for something that happened 2 years ago.

Get over it Des and if you still have an issue than why dont you bring it up in front of Gallop at a meeting instead of whinging to the bloody press 2 days before the season starts.
Smells a little bit like attention seeking IMO

Keffola

Juniors
Three things;

1. What do they honestly hope to accomplish by bringing it up two years later?

2. Are they even considering that maybe everyone, including Brett, has moved on?

3. Are they that f**king stupid?

One of the most moronic things I have ever seen from club management. And Dessie having a whinge isn't a surprise either.

Well as a coach I'm sure Dessie takes care of his players. Maybe Brett isn't as over his treatment as you think? He's been through 2 of the worst years of his life and what did the NRL do to help him through that? Suspend him for 4 weeks and fine his club.......

Perth Red

Post Whore
You would hope that the NRL learn from every experience and may choose to do things differently in future situations based on the experience they have had. Maybe they realised after the Stewart affair that there is a better way of dealing with it. Doesn;t make what they did wrong at the time, just that can now do it better. Manly need to keep quiet, their track record for off field problems is hardly great and with Watmough still at the club it is only a matter of time till the next one comes along.

High Flyers

Juniors
I love the fact that Manly are just having a big ole whinge... Finally we can get back to the good ole days where everyone just hated Manly.

I liked Jennings talking up the rivalries as well even though they ended up getting smashed by parra. Maybe the panthers are going back to their roots as the "chocolate soldiers" after last years woeful finals exit...

Slackboy72

Coach
Hate to say oit but Manly are right. Why was Stewart suspended yet Watmough wasn't?
Carney admitted he did it and should be suspended.
Marshall admitted he did it and should be suspended.
All Stewart did differently was not admit guilt.

Gaba

First Grade
if the nrl come out with a statement saying stewart with an underage girl while intoxicated was the misdemeanor then i dont think anyone would hear from manly anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts