What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly on the whinge

Hutty1986

Immortal
i disagree

Jury decisions cant be taken 100% there would still be doubts on how they made their decisions.

Juries have found innocent people guilty and guilty people as innocent

OJ Simpson was innocent :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Dr.J

Juniors
Manly whinging about how the NRL treats them is the same as Todd Carney whinging about how the police treats him.

When you get pulled over, if you are polite and assist with the legitimate concern of the authorities, then there is every chance the cops will give you a caution. If you abuse or sneer at the cops (or have a history of doing so) then even if you are only breaking the law by a small amount they have every right to throw the book at you.

In recent times, clubs who have had players in trouble have communicated to the NRL about their plans for the players involved and received the blessings of the NRL. Manly had the "who me" attitude & thumbed their nose at the NRL when they had 2 players behaving very badly with one charged by the police, when the club had organised the piss up. The NRL threw the book at them.

If they had a history of good discipline, which they don't, they could feel victimised. It will happen again because they don't "get it".

Dr.J

Juniors
Manly whinging about how the NRL treats them is the same as Todd Carney whinging about how the police treats him.

When you get pulled over, if you are polite and assist with the legitimate concern of the authorities, then there is every chance the cops will give you a caution. If you abuse or sneer at the cops (or have a history of doing so) then even if you are only breaking the law by a small amount they have every right to throw the book at you.

In recent times, clubs who have had players in trouble have communicated to the NRL about their plans for the players involved and received the blessings of the NRL. Manly had the "why us?" attitude & thumbed their nose at the NRL when they had 2 players behaving very badly with one charged by the police, when the club had organised the piss up. The NRL threw the book at them.

If they had a history of good discipline, which they don't, they could feel victimised. It will happen again because they don't "get it".

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
i disagree

Jury decisions cant be taken 100% there would still be doubts on how they made their decisions.

Juries have found innocent people guilty and guilty people as innocent

4022812485_f4a9f33406.jpg

by Steve Mascord on Wednesday 9 Mar 2011 15:53

SO, not much to write about this week, then! Let's start by not beating around the bush: Manly have a point. Manly have a good point.

I, like most of you, always thought Brett Stewart was intoxicated at the time of the 2009 incident. That's what the NRL's report found at the time and the Sea Eagles have not made a song and dance about it until now.

While the League at the time said the punishment against Stewart was for "putting himself in the position" to get in trouble, most objective, fair minding league supporters believe that the embarrassment he caused the sport because he was its frontman at the time was a factor in the severity of the punishment - a month-long ban and $100,000 fine.

This is a complex issue which many have ill-advisedly and unsuccessfully tried to simplify. Manly took little action at the time and given that the season launch clearly did get too boozy, they should have done more. Under these circumstances, and irrespective of the sexual assault allegations against Stewart, the NRL was justified in getting involved.

However, the precedent the League set with the four-week ban and six-figure fine has clearly not been a precedent at all. I don't know how anyone could convincingly argue that it has been.

Discord spoke to Rugby League Professionals Association boss David Garnsey on Monday and he pointed out that in the wake of the Stewart affair, the NRL assembled a sub-committee responsible for deciding what action should be taken in the event of a club under-reacting to an instance of off-field misbehaviour.

AAP reported on March 22, 2009, the committee would comprise "NRL and Rugby League Players Association delegates as well as club chief executives Stephen Noyce (Sydney Roosters), Todd Greenberg (Bulldogs), Shane Richardson (South Sydney) and Bruno Cullen (Brisbane)".

As Garnsey rightly points out, the formation of the committee means the Stewart penalty is already an obsolete measure which would not occur if the same circumstances were to arise again. That's because there is a new body in place (it may not involve the same people - in fact Bruno has already left us) and it would automatically be called in to discuss Manly's inaction.

The NRL can save face and still give Manly the apology it wants.

It just needs to say: "The penalty meted out to Brett Stewart at the beginning of the 2009 season was in keeping with the facts as they stood at the time and the system that the National Rugby League had in place at the time for circumstances in which a club is viewed to have taken insufficient action against a player.

"Manly are now coming forward with a different account of facts relating to the day in question and the NRL has also changed its systems for dealing with such incidents. The NRL acknowledges that the affair was an important part of the evolution of its dealings with off-field misbehaviour which brings the game into disrepute.

"We maintain that Brett Stewart was guilty of a misdemeanour.

"But the NRL also acknowledges that the issue would be dealt with differently now - if the club refused to act itself - and that it is possible a penalty imposed under current conditions would be less severe. The bodies now in charge of assessing club disciplinary measures, however, retain the option of imposing a more severe penalty.

"As is the case with on-field rule changes, judiciary suspensions and issues like salary cap penalties, there is a constant process of fine tuning and reassessment. The NRL acknowledges that the penalty meted out to Manly and Brett Stewart was harsh by current standards.

"But without that penalty and those sets of circumstances, we could never have improved our systems and regulations to where they are today."

There. Problems solved.

http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=38609

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice timing Manly, week before kick off and you give yet more fodder for the bottom feeders to run stories on everything except the game!

look-at-me.jpg

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They'd have a point... if they hadn't let Watmough get off scot-free for speeding at over 50kmh more than the speed limit just a few months ago.

With him going unpunished by the club for an act that is potentially more dangerous what Carney and even Benji did... Dessie can take a lovely warm cup of STFU and move on.

I can't even imagine how negatively this could be impacting on Stewart's welfare either - surely he's trying to move on and having his superiors and the media hammering this issue away when we should be getting excited for and talking about the on-field action... that cannot help.

Garts

Bench
I guess they say any publicity is good publicity. At least the NRL is getting plenty of coverage, lol. On a serious note, I sure hope the club checked that Stewart is ok with the club playing this out in the media.

cupid

Juniors
They'd have a point... if they hadn't let Watmough get off scot-free for speeding at over 50kmh more than the speed limit just a few months ago.

With him going unpunished by the club for an act that is potentially more dangerous what Carney and even Benji did... Dessie can take a lovely warm cup of STFU and move on.

I can't even imagine how negatively this could be impacting on Stewart's welfare either - surely he's trying to move on and having his superiors and the media hammering this issue away when we should be getting excited for and talking about the on-field action... that cannot help.
That is not there point, Manly have stated they thought it was the right decision to not suspend Marshall and Carney, the point Manly are making is how the NRL left one of the star players of its game out to dry, they never supported him during this time despite saying he was not guilty. Even after Stewart was found not guilty, the NRL refused to apologise to him and the club and the club are also angry at how Stewarts name is dragged up everytime a player does something wrong.

The communication between the NRL and its players is appalling, and Gallop should man up and apologize for his mishandling of the situation.

snoozer

Bench
f**K manly

the merkins have had it too good for too long.

the worm has turned and now they just sound like whinging bitches.

eat sh!t and die northside pondscum.

Loudstrat

Coach
Umm, the courts already found he wasn't intoxicated, and not with an under age girl. That would put the NRL in the same fact juggling boat as the DT.

It wasn't just in court that Stewart was found not to be intoxicated, licensing police also checked footage to make sure the hotel was not serving him alcohol when they shouldn't have been. They also found that he wasn't drunk.
Hang on you two mental giant, how would a court, or a copper watching a video, know if someone was or wasn't intoxicated? Legally I know of 3 ways that call can be made:
1) Judgement call under RSA guidelines by bar staff
2) Breathyliser
3) Blood test

Manly admitted to the NRL that Snake was kicked out of the pub for being intoxicated. That, plus the fact that the club's season launch provided the environment for them all to get hammered to the point where Watmong disgraced himself very publicly - were grounds for the NRL to act as it did.

It was far from a player - with wife - under a racial attack from 10 morons when the said player was sober - and had just finished a function where he performed a massive community service.

What Gallop should have done was fine the club $5 million and strip them of their tainted 1978 premiership, and make every CEO and coach since Arko/Biscuits give a public apology to Ray Price.

Garts

Bench
I think you will find Stewart was part of a group that was asked to leave. Same has happened to me and I was not pissed. However I have no idea what the case was with Stewart as I was not there. Either way time to move on.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hang on you two mental giant, how would a court, or a copper watching a video, know if someone was or wasn't intoxicated? Legally I know of 3 ways that call can be made:
1) Judgement call under RSA guidelines by bar staff
2) Breathyliser
3) Blood test

Manly admitted to the NRL that Snake was kicked out of the pub for being intoxicated. That, plus the fact that the club's season launch provided the environment for them all to get hammered to the point where Watmong disgraced himself very publicly - were grounds for the NRL to act as it did.

It was far from a player - with wife - under a racial attack from 10 morons when the said player was sober - and had just finished a function where he performed a massive community service.

What Gallop should have done was fine the club $5 million and strip them of their tainted 1978 premiership, and make every CEO and coach since Arko/Biscuits give a public apology to Ray Price.

Police checked the video from the bar and found that Stewart was not served any more alcohol after he had been cut off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should have the gumption to come out and tell it as it was. He was charged with a sexual assault and any player facing similiar charges will also be stood down pending court case. The $100k was against Manly for being frickwits in regards to a club function.

I have no problem with a player facing a serious charge, such as sexual assault,serious GBH or murder being stood down on full pay until trial. It happens in alot of professions.

Latest posts