What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly - Time for a change?

Red Bear

Referee
Hasler was always a likeable players, seems like a decent guy as well, if a bit of a whinger as a coach. When he first became coach, had some fair doubts, and they struggled in 04, admittedly with an average side. Since then, along with some smart purchases, he'd done a very good job with some players who I wouldnt say are realy stars of the game, a real workmanlike forward pack helped by Lyon and Stewert in the backs.

This season, however, though they may still make the top 8, they've been pretty poor. Fading out every other week, poor in attack and just havent seemed as competitive, bar a couple of games, as they usually have under the Hasler regime. Stewert's injury hasnt helped but I get the feeling that Hasler has taken the side as far as he can, and he's done bloody well, but it might be time to hand over to Toovey or someone else for the top job.

Overreaction much? He's fine. Blokes like Sheens miss the finals 4 years running and get off clean with most bar Tigers fans, so there's certainly nothing wrong with Hasler.

Dutchy

Immortal
First time we have missed the semis since 2004. sh*tter of a year with injuries, now suspensions and just general bad luck. Hasler doesn't need to go anywhere.

2011 will be better for Manly.

Red Bear

Referee
It's not so much the injuries, it's the way they;ve gone about games all season which seems to be more of a concern.

Hasler seems like a pretty intense coach, and intense coach's, whils they can be bloody effective short term, generally seem to have a shorter lifespan overall

Downie

Guest Moderator
Really? No halfback, and Stewart missing for 3 more week, plus his brother still has his court thing which could drag on.

Daly Cherry-Evans > Hokko.

If anyone else had their best player and another rep winger out for the entire year, the two quickest players we have (which'd explain why we had a lot of tries from intercepts, dropped balls, jammy rebounds etc. scored against us), they'd be pretty f**ked too.

Patorick

Staff member
Zorba's the one that has to go.

A fat sycophantic embarrassment to the club.

After 2008, Des can stay for as long as he wants.

lockyno1

Post Whore
You blaming a winger being out for the season on your side..fact is Williams is average anyway. Stewart granted, but you should be able o cover that loss with good halves. I see the same problem next year- Hodkinson gone, a new rookie halfback. Fringe 8 at best, similar with my side.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Dazzler can stay, Dazzler can go, I'm not fussed either way. To play as bad as we have and still out perform half the comp, not all is lost. Standards are high at Narrabeen though, anything could happen with Delmege and Penn sniping in the shadows.

Plenty of excuses to list for having a disappointing year, nothing to easily explain the 2nd half collapses though.

It will be a landmark day for Rugby League when/if Geoff Toovey is at the helm of a Manly side again, I can already hear the blood of the haters boiling in anticipation.

alan89

Juniors
And to think they beat the Dragons by 24-6 earlier this year. They haven't been the same since. I hope Brett Stewart has an injury free season next year. The loss of Hodkinson is big. Who will replace him?

mave

Coach
And to think they beat the Dragons by 24-6 earlier this year. They haven't been the same since. I hope Brett Stewart has an injury free season next year. The loss of Hodkinson is big. Who will replace him?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kidding right??????

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
have watched DCE play for sunny coast, kid has the goods, will take time to settle in but is definately NRL quality.
Eagles problems over and above the injuries, have been rookie halves this has been the 2nd half fade outs, no real on field leadership both young and have made some really bad second half decisions under pressure week after week.

Loudstrat

Coach
First time we have missed the semis since 2004. sh*tter of a year with injuries, now suspensions and just general bad luck. Hasler doesn't need to go anywhere.

2011 will be better for Manly.
Not yet mate - Bunnies still playing.

Considering you had halves almost as bad as ours, and a poor injury run, you have done OK. You miss Snake, and still haven't replaced Orford. And I am certainb sides still lift to play Manly. Earlier this year some Knights visited the local school. The question was asked - who is your toughest opponent? The answer: Melbourne and Manly.

cupid

Juniors
As long as we dont have as many injuries as this year, I have good hopes for 2011.

gregstar

Referee
wtf is wrong with trevor hasler?

i think he's an absolute dude!

regardless of his coaching ability which appears ample, the guy is an asset to league.

Garts

Bench
No need to give Hasler the arse. We were hammered with injuries but the main issue was our inexperienced halves. Orford was a massive loss, he would order the forwards around and make sure they did their job and were in right places. No one did this in 2010.

Patsy

Juniors
Brett Stewart is a massive loss - lynch pin for attack amnd controls the defensive line better than anyone else.

illiams being out meant Tony Williams wasnt used in his intended role as a high impact bench player. The Manly bench has lacked this year & 2nd half fades were often on the back of no impact from the bench. Lestrange was a big loss from 08.

But the biggest thing is the salary cap. The team that wins it this year will soon find out what it is like.

From 08 grand final side Manly were today without for 2010

Stewart
Wolfman
Bell
Orford
G Stewart
Hall
Bryant
Lestrange
Menzies
Cuthbertson - 18th man

But overall I think they have lost the hunger after winning a comp. They seem over weight and slow and lack the passion.

Latest posts