What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manly: we're loveable (SMH)

choc_soldier

Coach
Ain't gonna win me over... best of luck, though...

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/stop-hating-us-manly/2007/09/24/1190486225232.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Manly: we're loveable

MANLY players have called on Sydneysiders to do what previously would have been unthinkable - end 35 years of deep, dark hatred and support them in Sunday's grand final against Melbourne.

Sea Eagles players and officials are hoping Sydney's long-time rivalry with Melbourne will overshadow the average punter's dislike of the club, ensuring the majority of support at Telstra Stadium. And what's more, they believe it will happen, giving hope for world peace.
"I've no doubt there's an absolute truckload of people out there that still absolutely hate Manly, but I think that when it comes down to a NSW versus Victoria game, there'll be a lot of people who will have to change sides or change allegiances," chief executive Grant Mayer said.

"If you're a New South Welshman, do the right thing and support Manly."
The Sea Eagles have been despised ever since they were perceived to have bought premierships throughout the 1970s. The disdain surfaced again during their success in the 1990s.
But remarkably, Mayer claimed the Sea Eagles were no longer silvertails - the phrase coined by Herald columnist and former Western Suburbs coach Roy Masters - but were now the "strugglers".

"It's been 10 years since we've been involved in a grand final, and it's been at least five years since the Northern Eagles debacle," Mayer said.

"I think there's a new generation of fans out there who have put a lot of that behind them. We're the strugglers now. We struggled to get back to where we belong - at the top of the competition.

"I think people can really relate to what we've gone through. It's no longer the old chequebook mentality. This is about building a side over the last three or four years, and people can really understand that good old Des, the working-class man from Penrith, has done a great job building this club. I think people can identify that … and I think they'll jump on board."

Good old Des is Des Hasler, the Manly coach, who admitted the adage of fans having two teams - their own and the team playing Manly - still rang true, but with one exception … unless you're playing Melbourne in a grand final. "I still think Manly will always be the side people love to hate," Hasler said. "It's a part of rugby league folklore. But I think we'll have a good support out there."

Prop Jason King offered: "I can't imagine too many Sydneysiders wanting Victoria to win anything. Even though you hate Manly, it's better that Manly wins than a Melbourne-based team."

It would be remarkable - and a clear sign hostilities between fans and Manly remain bitter - if Melbourne were to enjoy the majority of support on Sunday. But the fact that no Sydney teams contested the grand final last year may also work in the club's favour.
"A lot of people I've spoken to over the last few days are diehard Tigers or Parramatta supporters, and they're going, 'All right' - kicking and screaming admittedly, but they're certainly happy to jump on board, particularly after the drought last year of Brisbane and Melbourne," Manly co-owner Scott Penn said. "I think we'll get the support that we deserve."

But there has been a footnote - importantly, from the player who would know more than anyone else whether the bitterness towards Manly still exists, 15-season veteran Steve Menzies.

"I have been at Manly too long to believe that just because you live in Sydney you would go for us," he said. "Being Manly in the grand final, I think you will still get a few people who will go for Melbourne … I think the crowd will be split about 50-50."

The younger players can't fathom the anti-Sea Eagles sentiment. Anthony Watmough believed, sincerely, that the newer generation of supporters was ignorant of the Manly hatred.

"In the past weeks, everywhere I've been on the other side of the bridge there is another generation of supporters who have been told of the old love to hate Manly stuff but they haven't embraced that," he said. "A lot of people I've spoken to have Manly as their second team. A friend of mine is an avid Tigers fan, and she never goes to any other matches but she came along the other day and paid big money to watch us in the semi-final, and she now says she is bitten with the Manly bug."

Halfback Matt Orford reckoned being on the dark side wasn't so bad. "Being the only Sydney team [in the final], I would like to think everyone loves Manly at the moment," he said. "You are either with Manly or against Manly, but we have had good support this year. We have roped a few others to come to the dark side. We can't complain."

Ice777

Bench
Anthony Watmough said:
A friend of mine is an avid Tigers fan, and she never goes to any other matches but she came along the other day and paid big money to watch us in the semi-final, and she now says she is bitten with the Manly bug."

Do you think it's got more to do with her jumping on the Manly bandwagon and getting bitten by "the Manly bug" or just the fact that she's your friend that she went to see you Anth? ;-)

pantherz9103

First Grade
Firmly on the Storm bandwagon. Even against Brisbane I'd have trouble supporting Moanly, even though I don't hate them as much as I used to. Roosters and Brisbane are my two least favourite teams.

That could change on Sunday Night if they win. They better not!

_Johnsy

Referee
easy question who is easier to love, Manly or Melbourne?

Just wait a while and I will drink 30 beers then try Manly on for size :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

I'd prefer to get arse raped by John Holmes or stick my c**k in a cheese grater than ever support manly. They are beneath contempt. Vermin since 1947

wittyfan

Referee
themanonthehill said:
I'd prefer to get arse raped by John Holmes or stick my c**k in a cheese grater than ever support manly. They are beneath contempt. Vermin since 1947

Well said!

dragonfire

Bench
_Johnsy said:
easy question who is easier to love, Manly or Melbourne?

Just wait a while and I will drink 30 beers then try Manly on for size :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

its almost like which is the better of two evils. Both teams are ones which i think other club supporters would find hard to like/watch. Have to go for Manly though just to see Melbourne crumble at the final hurdle again.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I hope team 1st to 12th all get the plague & the premiership goes to the team that came 13th by default.

Stranger things have happened.

strider

Post Whore
peter peters - wanker
matai - prick
lyon - dipsh*t
watmough - tool
hasler - knob
cleal - arse-clown

melbourne storm - :?

Go Manly!!!! :clap:

Merdy

To be honest, I'm pretty uneasy about Manly needing to drum up a following. Having followed them since I was a little kid, I'm pretty much indifferent to what anyone else thinks of them, and I'm certainly used to hearing them getting trashed.

Let the cards fall how they may regarding who supports who. I couldn't give a rats.

I guess the only issue is that the amount of support for either side at the ground could tip them over the line in a close one.

Ken Arthurson, The Bogan factor, Anthony Watmough....

good reasons why i can put my differences with Matt King aside on sunday, go storm.