What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mann Vs Aitken, who deserves the starting centre role?

Who deserves the starting centre role?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gitano

Juniors
lol, lol, lol lol lol.

So according to you. Only you and one other person who bothered to vote on this topic have any idea and everyone else has no idea. lol lol lol. You are a very funny guy. lol
No. Rather, I place no value at all on a poll conducted surveying an audience of people who don't get football. Numbers aside.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Frank Facer said; "Mann had 3 years to show what he had got. I would rather give Mann and Lomax 40 minutes each..."

I don't disagree with this comment and understand comments about his defence, but I just wouldn't write Aitken off. For one he's still only very young (22) Was playing when we led the comp last year, and is IMO a very powerful runner. He has upsides. My preference is for Mann in round 1 but feel Aitken should also get a shot in the trials as Im not fussed who wins or by what margin I just want the best combinations for round 1. not against rotating the 4 options and as I disagree with some who've stated that we have good quality depth in the centres. I've yet to see enough consistency for 26 or 25 rounds from any of them to convince me we have an abundance of NRL quality centres, hopefully this is sorted this year
I actually said Aitken had 3 years to show what he has got.

In that 3 years he has failed to impress me. It is his attack which is more of a concern to me than his defence. In his first year, I was not overly impressed, but I thought give him a chance to develop. He has not developed. He likes to get into dummy half and have a run from there, but that is about all he does. Aitken played most of his juniors at lock. He is not a centre and never was a centre. If Mary and the rest of the coaching staff can't see that he is not a centre, then they're blind.

I think we have potential in the centres. I think Lomax will be one of our centres and the sooner the better. I see Mann as a stop gap centre until someone better makes the position their own. I haven't seen Herbert, but I am keen to see him play. I am hoping that Steven Marsters is Lomax's centre partner by 2020.

gitano

Juniors
What do you think Mann needs to improve on to be an NRL quality right centre?
Things that stats don't show.

He's a bit too stop/start in good ball. Doesn't help our momentum. He's a bit slight for a right centre.
Competes well though. Aitken is far more dangerous running a hole or breaking a tackle on the line. He's also more equipped physically to handle tough carries out of our end.

Don't get me wrong, Mann is an alright footy player, just depends on the emergence of Field as to whether he can snag a spot on the bench or not.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I can't believe this thread to be honest.

Mann starts in a trial game, as Euie wants less minutes coming back.
People read into it and all of a sudden Mann is a certain starter? haha. Please.

Euan is a real chance of playing Origin. Get with it.[/QUOTE

BS

Frank Facer

First Grade
Things that stats don't show.

He's a bit too stop/start in good ball. Doesn't help our momentum. He's a bit slight for a right centre.
Competes well though. Aitken is far more dangerous running a hole or breaking a tackle on the line. He's also more equipped physically to handle tough carries out of our end.

Don't get me wrong, Mann is an alright footy player, just depends on the emergence of Field as to whether he can snag a spot on the bench or not.
I could not recall Aitken running any holes, so I look up his highlights reel on Youtube. There was one occasion that Aikten hit a hole and that was from 5 meters out, when the Newcastle defence was at 6's and 7's and the centre came in and left a gaping hole that anyone could have ran into and scored.

The rest of his highlights were basically Aitken getting the ball around 10 metres out from the try line when we were on the attack and a powerful run to get the ball over the try line or scoring from a short kick put through by a half.

If you think that Aitken is a good centre, then your footy IQ is too low for zero.

You should have gone to Spec Savers.

Belta

Juniors
It's fair to say, in recent times atleast that none of our current outside backs have set the stage alight, (off topic abit I know) but we are starting to look more likely and the emergence of players in the caliber of Marsters, Sailor, Lomax etc we may just end up alright.

The question is who out of our current crop will get the job done, Mann has been impressive but I wouldn't say he's an accomplished centre, and again I'd say he's my pick, but for mine is not a unchallenged walk up start. Just my opinion. I'd still be testing players in the last trial

gitano

Juniors
I could not recall Aitken running any holes, so I look up his highlights reel on Youtube. There was one occasion that Aikten hit a hole and that was from 5 meters out, when the Newcastle defence was at 6's and 7's and the centre came in and left a gaping hole that anyone could have ran into and scored.

The rest of his highlights were basically Aitken getting the ball around 10 metres out from the try line when we were on the attack and a powerful run to get the ball over the try line or scoring from a short kick put through by a half.

If you think that Aitken is a good centre, then your footy IQ is too low for zero.

You should have gone to Spec Savers.

I know a lot about the game from an inner sanctum point of view. How coaches coach, how players play, how KPIs work etc. Hint: It's a lot different from the tripe you see on here and other overhyped stats based things (supercoach etc.).

The average fan doesn't know what makes a good footballer.
It's sad, but a product of tv dumbing the game down to attract a wider range of fans.

There's a lot more to Rugby League. I'm wasting my time explaining it here though.
Carry on the gibberish.

It's a lot more than that. Aitken was very poor in defence in 2016 and the little time he played in 2017. He also is not so good at setting up his winger - seems to die with ball a lot. When a high ball comes his way, he allows it to bounce and then more often than not does not gather the ball or stop the opposition from gaining more ground. Aitken has been given more latitude than others - a favourite of Mary's but still seems to make the same mistakes and have the same skill shortages. In my opinion he should never have been extended last year.

Who knows why Millward extended Aitken rather than buying Gagai.
Why do you bother explaining it to him?
His posts are rude and worthless.

Frank Facer said; "Mann had 3 years to show what he had got. I would rather give Mann and Lomax 40 minutes each..."

I don't disagree with this comment and understand comments about his defence, but I just wouldn't write Aitken off. For one he's still only very young (22) Was playing when we led the comp last year, and is IMO a very powerful runner. He has upsides. My preference is for Mann in round 1 but feel Aitken should also get a shot in the trials as Im not fussed who wins or by what margin I just want the best combinations for round 1. not against rotating the 4 options and as I disagree with some who've stated that we have good quality depth in the centres. I've yet to see enough consistency for 26 or 25 rounds from any of them to convince me we have an abundance of NRL quality centres, hopefully this is sorted this year
The problem is he doesn't seem to be improving.
The coach was a representative centre and one of the best of his era.
You have to ask yourself why we still don't have a slick and potent solution in the centres.
You would also think that Aikin would thrive under McGregor's tutelage.
It just hasn't happened.

TruSaint

Referee
Well i just looked at the results and it has restored my faith that most people, experts or not, can see the bleeding obvious.

71 people apparently have a low IQ, of which I am one. So be it.

If Mann, ONE of the few truly talented game breakers we have cant cut it, and Mary picks Aitken ahead of him then that will do me. He is superior to Aitken by some margin, and i like Euen, but calling it as it is.

Done with this thread. Need to improve my IQ, so i will spend time watching our last 4 seasons highlights.

Belta

Juniors
Gitano said; "...I'm wasting my time explaining it here though..."

Don't take this the wrong way but IMO many average coaches have this mindset.

They are so arrogant they are opposed to differing opinions and it limits their ability to have an open minded approach.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I know a lot about the game from an inner sanctum point of view. How coaches coach, how players play, how KPIs work etc. Hint: It's a lot different from the tripe you see on here and other overhyped stats based things (supercoach etc.).

The average fan doesn't know what makes a good footballer.
It's sad, but a product of tv dumbing the game down to attract a wider range of fans.

There's a lot more to Rugby League. I'm wasting my time explaining it here though.
Carry on the gibberish.

If you are wasting your time then stop saying it and go to some other forum.
In other words stfu

Latest posts