What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei - Coming to your club! (no spoilers)

Iafeta

Referee
Ken Sio has only ran for less then 120 metres on one occasion so far this season, compared to Vatuvei's four, 6 errors to Vatuvei's 16, and 6 tries to Vatuvei's 3, give me him over Vatuvei any day.

I don't really see how his try scoring is something to concern about herer. Vatuvei's proven himself time and time again. 92 tries in 132 first grade games is phenomenal going. I'm glad you're happy with Ken Sio, you're probably also quite happy with Steve Kearney, so I'll let you have what you've got.

:lol: .........

Consistently inconsistent

or consistently prone to handling errors

???

Fourex, you obviously missed the part where I discussed IIRC he has never topped the error count in the NRL. Supposedly far safer and better players than him (according to this thread at least) certainly have.

Penrose, Vatuvei without a second thought in the world. He has been a fine player for what 7-8 seasons in the NRL? He's having his worst season in the NRL no doubt.

I think he should be dropped next week, but to suggest this is a terminal issue is nonsense. Take out the Parramatta match a few years ago I seriously doubt we'd even have this thread.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
No doubt Manu had a shocker.

That all said, I still like watching him play, as when he gets it right, he is an asset to their club.

beefstew

Juniors
It's beyond me how Vatuvei's 12-15 outstanding carries each week meet any definition of "average". They are average for him, if most other wingers took one hit-up like that in their lives it would go down as "extraordinary".

Yes it would be extraordinary, but most wingers aren't the size of props, or take hit-ups like a prop...but of course those other
wingers have far more talent than your average prop, or Vatuvei for that matter, and a lot of them run around the same
amount of meters as Vatuvei does, useing actual talent and agility rather than size and brute force...and they dont cost their
teams games, with ridiculous amounts of errors and missed tackles and bad reads.

His hit-ups are are great and all, but i dont remember too many teams winning premierships with props playing on the wing,
and thats all he is...take the massive amount of errors and pathetic defense out of his game, and he flat out doesn't have
the talent to play wing.

Wake up realize what is obvious to every other league fan, apart from the idiotic Manu suck up club....he is now a garbage
winger who costs his team games... he and the Warriors are becoming a laughing stock, for continuing to play him in a
position he isn't capable of.

The vitriolic hatred of Vatuvei is laughable. It's a classic case of kicking a man when he's down, because when he's been up for the majority of his career he's been kicking the shit out of your teams.

Iafeta

Referee
No doubt Manu had a shocker.

That all said, I still like watching him play, as when he gets it right, he is an asset to their club.

Without doubt. A lot of their style (good or bad) revolves around Manu. The cross field bomb, he's epic at that and they play to it. It was crucial in the win against the Roosters just last week. He set up a try with it this week as well. And he continues to get them on the front foot. He was doing it against the Tigers too.

The errors were dreadful, and he deserves a kick up the behind for that. Most people wrote him off in '07 after Parramatta, Manu came back then, he'll come back again.

Yes it would be extraordinary, but most wingers aren't the size of props, or take hit-ups like a prop...but of course those other
wingers have far more talent than your average prop, or Vatuvei for that matter, and a lot of them run around the same
amount of meters as Vatuvei does, useing actual talent and agility rather than size and brute force...and they dont cost their
teams games, with ridiculous amounts of errors and missed tackles and bad reads.

His hit-ups are are great and all, but i dont remember too many teams winning premierships with props playing on the wing,
and thats all he is...take the massive amount of errors and pathetic defense out of his game, and he flat out doesn't have
the talent to play wing.

Wake up realize what is obvious to every other league fan, apart from the idiotic Manu suck up club....he is now a garbage
winger who costs his team games... he and the Warriors are becoming a laughing stock, for continuing to play him in a
position he isn't capable of.

Laughing stock? Exaggeration much? You do realise they were last year's Grand Finalists, right? THey're certainly not out of calculations for the top 8 and a good run in the finals by any means.

FTR, are you a jonny-cum-lately fan? Reason I ask is I'm fairly sure most ardent Warriors fans can recall games where Manu has been absolutely pivotal to pivotal Warriors wins.

I would also suggest that the Broncos certainly enjoyed having strong wingers in the 90s with Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuqiri. I'm fairly sure they've won premierships. To suggest he isn't nimble isn't quite right either, I think it was last year he ran down Akuila Uate after a line break. He may be ponderous to turn at times, but he's actually got a good yard of speed on him.

The vitriolic hatred of Vatuvei is laughable. It's a classic case of kicking a man when he's down, because when he's been up for the majority of his career he's been kicking the shit out of your teams.

Spot on. He's having a bad season. No doubt. IMO, he deserves at least a week in the Vulcans to get some confidence back. But he's without peer as far as wingers at the Warriors, currently or in their history.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I think he should be dropped next week, but to suggest this is a terminal issue is nonsense. Take out the Parramatta match a few years ago I seriously doubt we'd even have this thread.

Not sure about that Eels game.......but what I remember most about Manu is the Brisbane V Warriors semi last year.

He had a shocker......almost comical.:lol:

If it was something that wasn't seen by other RL fans as "terminal" ......a lot of the comments made in this thread wouldn't get said.

Iafeta

Referee
I was lucky in one respect, I was in Vancouver when the Warriors got flogged by the Broncos last year, I'm hearing I'm lucky I didn't have to sit through that nightmare and that he had a shocker... unfortunately a Broncos fan over there was able to tell me about the game, play by play :crazy: I was back for the Tigers game though, and I thought he was very very good that night.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Wake up realize what is obvious to every other league fan, apart from the idiotic Manu suck up club.

Well that's really the crux of the matter isn't it?

Vatuvei has been an automatic selection for club and country since 2005 and still is. No Kiwis or Warriors coach has seen it differently. He's also been borderline winger of the year for the entire NRL on a couple of occasions.

Despite this you truly believe that it is "common knowledge" that this guy is not NRL standard. So which of us is delusional?

beefstew

Juniors

Theres no hatred....theres only dumbfounded amazement, that a player that is so poor in the position he is playing, and so
detrimental to his team, with the ridiculous amount of errors and pathetic defense he keeps dishing up, keeps getting
picked....any other player would have been dropped long long ago.

Being a great guy, which Manu obviously is, shouldn't guarantee anyone a starting spot....but if you look at the hard
facts (which most Warriors cant), being a good guy is the only thing that could possibly be keeping him on the wing
these days.

The competition is so tight these days, that a player like him with all the errors and poor defense, cant be absorbed like
it could in previous years....all the mistakes he makes, and particularly where he makes the majority of them (in his 20)
costs games....like it or not.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Rocks or diamonds with Manu.

Not sure the good outweighs the bad to be honest.

Succinctly put

The gulf between his good and bad games is immense. Id be shitting my dacks everytime he ran out for my side simply because you just dont know what your gonna get from the bloke.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A 2nd rower playing on the wing. I don't get what the coaches are seeing as for me he costs the Warriors more tries than he scores for them.

loveleague

Juniors
Succinctly put

The gulf between his good and bad games is immense. Id be shitting my dacks everytime he ran out for my side simply because you just dont know what your gonna get from the bloke.

I agree, and the sad thing is - he is making the same mistakes year in year out. I don't swallow the crap pushed by his cheerleading faction, that he is invaluable. He cost us the other night and has cost us many games over the years through his many deficiencies both on attack and defense. I would rather have a solid,stable winger who provides fewer errors. Manu's mistakes are too often a momentum killer and the other night was a prime example and once again the coach defends him. The guys just a poor mans jonah lomu, with half the skill and not too much upstairs.