What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manu Vatuvei - Coming to your club! (no spoilers)

Danish

Referee
He is the kiwi Uate. Plenty of flashy moments of brilliance, a lot of pace, shitty defensive positioning and makes crucial errors all the time.

Should make the move into the forwards like tony Williams and stop hiding out on the wing

MSIH

Bench
I'm glad Warriors fans like him. I wouldn't want him at Manly if he was salary cap exempt.

Btw, that Danish comparison of Uate and Vatuvei is as bad as Manu's performance last night. Uate's elite.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The thing is with Vatuvei, his good games don't usually involve single handedly winning games. But his shit games often do.

Glad the Warriors fans like him. He's entertaining to watch, the good and especially the bad. Still wouldn't want him in my team.

Wing is not where you want your superstar enigmas. Wing needs to be players that keep their head in defense and finish when they should finish in attack. That's Merritt and Everingham. I wouldn't want Vatuvei ahead of them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The thing is with Vatuvei, his good games don't usually involve single handedly winning games. But his shit games often do.

That's a matter of perception. When Manu drops a couple of bombs and the opposition score he "lost us the game". When he wins a couple of contests for the ball and we snag a couple of scrappy tries no-one ever says he won us the game.

typicalfan

Coach
Vatuvei is underrated. He makes errors but what he does in the middle getting his team out of trouble is so valuable. Without him the Warriors forwards would struggle to even get going.

Could you imagine him playing for a team like the Storm. He would score tries every week.

Meth

Staff member
When Vatuvei marks Uate, Vatuvei always comes out on top.

Then again, when Vatuvei marks Beau Ryan, Ryan always seems to come out on top.

Go figure.

beefstew

Juniors
Sooo... he has 3 outstanding games in a row, and nobody bats an eyelid.

He then has one poor half, drops the balls twice, and now this thread gets bumped.

Nice

Outstanding?

For him, yes they probably were outstanding, for any other winger...average.

That one poor half cost the Warriors yet another game, from the player that has twice the amount of handling
errors, than any other player in the comp...so a bump is warranted....bumped for yet another fail.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Outstanding?

That one poor half cost the Warriors yet another game, from the player that has twice the amount of handling
errors, than any other player in the comp...so a bump is warranted....bumped for yet another fail.

It's beyond me how Vatuvei's 12-15 outstanding carries each week meet any definition of "average". They are average for him, if most other wingers took one hit-up like that in their lives it would go down as "extraordinary".

Iafeta

Referee
Outstanding?

I'm very angered by his performance last night. It lacked professionalism, accuracy, and it was extremely costly.

However, it frustrates me no end to see biased, factless nonsense like this post. I would not say

Lets go his last 4 games, with one of those being a test match.

v Roosters, 1 try, 52m, 1 error - not that great
v Brisbane, 128m, 7 tackle breaks, 1 error
v Storm, 124m, 2 tackle breaks, 1 error

I haven't got the stats on the test match, but I think its genuinely accepted he more than held his own against Akuila Uate.

There's no doubt his error rate this year is unacceptable. I still think there's a fan overreaction to the game at Parramatta what 5-6 years ago. He usually has a high work rate, he is often getting bat-back opportunities off bombs for other players, and to be perfectly honest, the Warriors who are regarded by people who have no idea as a razzle dazzle team baffle me by barely giving him any space on the edge. I dare say he's in the top 10 most years for errors, but IIRC I can't recall a year where he's been so far out in front error wise. He's usually back in the pack compared to a lot of other role model consistent players...

He's the Warriors all time best winger, he's consistently one of the first selected in the Kiwis, he has a serious confidence issue in my book this year. He will come back, he's a consistently terrific player.

Parra Pride

Referee
v Roosters, 1 try, 52m, 1 error - not that great
v Brisbane, 128m, 7 tackle breaks, 1 error
v Storm, 124m, 2 tackle breaks, 1 error

Ken Sio has only ran for less then 120 metres on one occasion so far this season, compared to Vatuvei's four, 6 errors to Vatuvei's 16, and 6 tries to Vatuvei's 3, give me him over Vatuvei any day.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ken Sio has only ran for less then 120 metres on one occasion so far this season, compared to Vatuvei's four, 6 errors to Vatuvei's 16, and 6 tries to Vatuvei's 3, give me him over Vatuvei any day.

Great, you can have him. We're not interested in a swap, or at least I'm not. You're having one hell of a laugh if you think Ken Sio is a better player. His metres have nothing to do with people kicking away from Hayne you reckon?

Preach on Iafeta, incidentally.

hitman82

Bench
Great, you can have him. We're not interested in a swap, or at least I'm not. You're having one hell of a laugh if you think Ken Sio is a better player. His metres have nothing to do with people kicking away from Hayne you reckon?

Preach on Iafeta, incidentally.

I'd probably take Ken Sio tbh. He's a very skilled and intelligent footballer who just happens to play for a rabble. I'd trust him 100% more than I do Vatuvei.
Our style of team doesn't really need a rocks and diamonds freak like Manu. We could do perfectly well with a more standard and reliable winger like Sio or Duffie.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Okay, fair enough. Ken Sio is a very decent player who's worked hard to get to where he's got. Fair play to him.

Very interesting to see amongst Warriors supporters, who would take Manu over someone like Sio, an unfashionable winger like him etc.