What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mark Geyer's tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASH_03

Juniors
Supposedly about certain members of the 'Underworld' being involved with players in a major betting scandal, investigations suspended until after the finals.

ouwet

Bench
Supposedly about certain members of the 'Underworld' being involved with players in a major betting scandal, investigations suspended until after the finals.

Nothing new... Been happening in all sports for years (Not just RL).

Sloth

Juniors
A youtube video about "never going to give you up" is what MMM consider a rumour?

EDIT - I just realised what you did muzby, well played sir

You've been Rick Rolled, Lol well done Muzby, you still aint got me yet though lol.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27708828-5018866,00.html

geyer is what a waste of space, still only investigating the one match, police havn't reported any other matches as dodgy yet

from the link

NRL denies rumour suggesting players and managers involved in match-fixing

By staff writers
September 15, 2010

Updated: The NRL has been rocked by a fresh report that high-profile players, player managers and underworld figures have been involved in match-fixing.

Sydney radio station Triple M made the allegation on Wednesday morning, reporting that players earning $200,000, $300,000 and $400,000 were involved in match-fixing.

Triple M Grill Team panellist Mark Geyer, a former rugby league star, said he thought matches alleged to have been fixed did look suspect.

"After hearing the rumours from different sources, I have gone back and looked at the games in question," said Geyer, who did not reveal the matches alleged to have been fixed.

"It makes me have some doubt on a few of the things I am getting spoken to about.

"I watched the games closely and … that put doubt in my mind.

"Whether I am just looking for that, I don’t know, because of what I heard.

Fellow Triple M Grill Team panellist Stuart MacGill, a former Test cricket player, said: "If there is an issue here, we've been told that the NRL won’t act on this until after the finals series so that they don’t detract from the great football that we’re all anticipating over the coming weeks."

NRL communications officer John Brady contacted Triple M to deny the allegation, stressing the organisation "wasn't aware of any such claim".

Geyer said: "If the NRL did know about it, they would have named names by now … because they’d want these bastards out of the game quick smart."

The allegation sees more murky headlines for the NRL, following a police investigation into unusual betting trends in the round-24 match between North Queensland Cowboys and Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in Townsville.

Punters stood to win more than $250,000 if the Cowboys opened the scoring with a penalty goal - a market that TAB says generates very little activity.

Bulldogs prop Ryan Tandy was penalised in front of his side's posts within the first two minutes of the match, but the Cowboys opted to take a quick tap.

Tandy denies any wrongdoing.

Reports last week suggested that as many as six matches could be investigated by a police strike force, but NRL officials maintain the Townsville match is the league's only concern to date.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said in reponse to the reports last week that players involved in the alleged betting scandal could each face a life ban if they were found guilty.

The match-fixing claims come towards the end of a season featuring the biggest scandal in the history of the NRL, with Melbourne Storm stripped of two premierships after being found guilty by the NRL of massive and widespread salary-cap rorts

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry, but if there was a plunge on Cowboys to score first via a penalty goal, and the match is rigged, why weren't the Cowboys told?

If bets were being made on Ryan Tandy to knock on from the kick off, then there'd be something suss.

This, seems to be a load of BS. It contradicts match fixing if only half the people required to fix the match for a particular outcome are aware of it.

The fact that the Cowboys didn't take the penalty goal is clear proof the game wasn't fixed.

babyg

Juniors
I'm telling yah, this is just the latest attempt by the media to de-value the game.

hellteam

First Grade
This is the different between rugby league and other sports in Australia. We have old players, one that works for channel 9 no less, who for some f*cken reason feel the need to bring up these 'rumours', and that's what they are at this stage, and for what? NOTHING. If this is unproven, Mark Geyer should be kicked out of anything to do with rugby league forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts