What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marsh Open to Offers

MrT

Juniors
your not wrong, we chased Asotasi, Lyon, Poore, Creagh and Sims hard, weren't prepared to pay overs which is a good thing, but I did hear we were in the hunt for all 3 Dragons together.

Lyon was offered 400k+ and Asotasi likewise.
Now Hayne may have had his contract topped up, but when you look at how many players we lost last year and who we signed, and now with the loss of Pj marsh, Tahu, I.Hindy for next year.....absolutely no excuses.

If Mateo wants to stay at Parra and we offer a good amount like 200k a year for 3 years, I'd say he would swallow it. Even if offered 250k elsewhere.

MrT

Juniors
your not wrong, we chased Asotasi, Lyon, Poore, Creagh and Sims hard, weren't prepared to pay overs which is a good thing, but I did hear we were in the hunt for all 3 Dragons together.

Now Hayne may have had his contract topped up, but when you look at how many players we lost last year and who we signed, and now with the loss of Pj marsh, Tahu, I.Hindy for next year.....absolutely no excuses.

If Mateo wants to stay at Parra and we offer a good amount like 200k a year for 3 years, I'd say he would swallow it. Even if offered 250k elsewhere.

Stagger eel

Staff member
MrT said:
Eela, was this the bad news you were hearing.
This is very disappointing stuff, as Riddell is way too slow out of dummy half and isn't an 80 min player.

first of all i never said anything about bad news but i did say something..along the lines of hearing mixed news.

...and this PJ thing is news to me

MrT

Juniors
eelavation said:
first of all i never said anything about bad news but i did say something..along the lines of hearing mixed news.

...and this PJ thing is news to me

great, so there is more mixed news to come.

Wouldn't be a certain club called manly chasing a certain player called mateo

COACH STERLING

Juniors
MrT said:

Would you leave your job if some-one offered you 20k a year more?

I would. Parra need to work out who they would like to keep, and then go all out for all of them. Personally, if we sign Timmy, Inu & Mateo and lose Green and PJ, I'd say that's a good result.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
COACH STERLING said:
Would you leave your job if some-one offered you 20k a year more?

I would. Parra need to work out who they would like to keep, and then go all out for all of them. Personally, if we sign Timmy, Inu & Mateo and lose Green and PJ, I'd say that's a good result.

If someone offered me 220 over 200, yet at the 200 position i was incredibly happy, had my mates and a supportive team then no. 20 extra before tax is that a real incentive?

MrT

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
If someone offered me 220 over 200, yet at the 200 position i was incredibly happy, had my mates and a supportive team then no. 20 extra before tax is that a real incentive?

Thankyou Ron, someone that understands.

Coach sterling, the very name you use, Sterlo was offered a lot more by manly, but he stayed at parra. Mateo has been at Parra for some years now and it feels like home.
200k compared to what he's on now is massive. It's not like they are slapping him in the face with that deal.

Manly offered Creagh 300k and he never went. I bet he's on a lot less at Dragons

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:

Ron, I was trying to put things into perpective and wasn't relating it to Mateo but rather MT. The average salary in Aust. is about 40-45K, so if someone offered MT 75K and he was on the average salary then I'm sure he'd take it having a family to feed and whatever.

Personally, I'd be livid if Mateo left our club for a measly 20K when he making a mint however, I could understand him leaving for an extra 150K over 3 seasons. ;-)

COACH STERLING

Juniors
MrT said:
Thankyou Ron, someone that understands.

Coach sterling, the very name you use, Sterlo was offered a lot more by manly, but he stayed at parra. Mateo has been at Parra for some years now and it feels like home.
200k compared to what he's on now is massive. It's not like they are slapping him in the face with that deal.

Manly offered Creagh 300k and he never went. I bet he's on a lot less at Dragons

Whats there to understand MT, don't you understand what more money does to people. :crazy:

Seriously, were all speculating here but can you guys remember us poaching Piggy,Tahu,Morrison, Morris, McKinnon, PJ and a million others. It all come down to one thing boys.........$$$$$$ talks. ;-)

Phillips

Referee
McKinnon wouldnt have cost much... he was getting frozen out at souths who werent giving him a chance...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
How many hookers play 80 minutes these days apart from Buderus? Most get some form of a rest so I don't know where he thinks he will be an 80 minute dummy half. He is starting and has been most of the year you'd think that would suffice.

Very disappointed in Marshy.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
How many hookers play 80 minutes these days apart from Buderus? Most get some form of a rest so I don't know where he thinks he will be an 80 minute dummy half. He is starting and has been most of the year you'd think that would suffice.

Very disappointed in Marshy.

Yep, to be honest I thought most hookers were meant to play 80min, but when i checked the NRL stats I found that only 1 or 2 out of the 16 NRL clubs actually do.

So if PJ is playing 60min he should be complaining too much.

bartman

Immortal
** Sorry, just realised I'd posted a bit of an essay... **

Personally I think PJ is copping it a bit harsh in this thread?

There is no longer a June 30 anti-tampering deadline. Therefore there is no right or wrong time for a player to be considering his future. Like it or lump it, offers can now freely come at any time, as can talks with a current club about a new/extended deal.

PJ says he's looking for more game time. It wasn't too long ago where hooker was an 80 min position, with interchanges mainly used for other positions. In fact it may have been Parra that changed that, with the 2001 success we enjoyed using Brad Drew and PJ in that way, now everyone's doing it.

Interesting to note PJ left us after the 2001 season... If I had started out (at my work) thinking my skills would be used in a certain way, and then they were used very differently for a long time (and told it would possibly be like that forever) but I really preferred using my skills the other way, then I would keep talking to my boss about it. If nothing else was possible, then I'd probably look to move somewhere where I might be able to use my skills in the way I'd prefer, or the way I'd originally expected. I'd hope my boss would understand, and support my reasons for checking what else might be around.

It seems like PJ has done the right thing here - discussed his concerns with his club and then been given permission by his club to test the market, with his club willing to let him go a year early if he finds something he's happier with. PJ himself says he's more than 50% likely to stay next year anyway, he's just putting it out there with the club's apparent blessing.

Is he being realistic expecting 80 mins anywhere? Time will tell, just like the game has changed to predominently dual hookers it might change again in a different way. The dual option did us OK the other night, but it has not been a consistent winner for us. And for example this year Huddersfield are playing five what you would call playmakers in their top 17 - sometimes all on the field at once (1-6-7-9-13). It took a while to settle in and now is very effective (10 wins in a row against all the best teams). Even if one of these playmakers has a spell during the game it would only be for a maximum of 10-15 mins, and 70 is a lot closer to 80mins than 55.

My first reaction was just that I think it is bad for Parra that PJ might leave, or leave a year early. Simply because Riddell seems physically incapable of playing more than 55mins and he'll need a dummy half foil. Hagan has committed to Riddell with a contract extension, and I think PJs form has shown this year has demonstrated he is the more valuable player, as shown by earning the starting jersey back. But I haven't really seen the younger options coming through play, so maybe the future's well in hand without PJ anyway.

Elite sports are now a business, and squad building a tricky balance between good decisions, lost opportunities and the bottom line (salary cap). So I'm surprised people are jumping on PJ here, with accusations of players "using the club" just because the terms of their original expectations of opportunities under their contract are not being met?

Once the game turned truly "professional" where players could be full-time and on vastly inflated wages compared to before, this is (unfortunately) the natural consequence, hardly and loyalty (from clubs or players) other than in the contract they currently are servicing.

Yes, fans obviously stick by their team, that's what makes us different from players (employees)! How many of our current squad were ever fans of Parra as kids? How many kids that were fans of Parra have never played for us and happily take the coin from whatever club gives them a break-through? Sterlo was a Manly fan before he played for (was brought down from the bush to play for) us, but he played league in the days before the new professionalism and was one of many that became a one-club man...

Because ultimately these days league is players' (and coaches' etc) employment and careers, and so is subject to change at any time, and our role is to support that while ever it lasts. PJ served us well in his first spell at Parra, he has served us well in his second spell and the club took a risk around his serious injury. He's proved himself, but we seem to not be able to give him the increased game time he probably expected or hoped for once he'd proved himself. So he is still giving 100% for us and is shopping around with our club's blessing. As has been said, good on him either way.

yy_cheng

Coach
I think PJ has done the right thing too. However, I think people are saying that it's ok to let him go now as Riddell is here long term and if he plays like today with commitment. He deserves his spot. A player like Keating can them spell him for short periods.

PJ is critical to our team though. He's in the middle of the field and giving more than is body weight has to offer. He is a terrier and we need him but I would let him go to secure the some juniors.

I think he might want some more rep footy. He did play for Qld once and if he played nearly 80, he might get another chance.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think alot of you underestimate the power of a player manager and the influence they have on their client.